Tires, tires, tires?

I was told that it may be a good idea to upgrade the tires that come on the new cyclone 3612.. Power King Tow max ST235 80/R16

Is this true? If so to what. Dealer gave me a $2000 (385 each) quote to upgrade tires but I am not sure to what.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Lone Wolvin... Pretty sure you can get Michelin xps ribs (highly touted tires) for about $250 each installed with valve stems etc. if you shop around. Plus you can keep the new trailer tires and sell them on Craigs List for $400 easy. Net cost about $600.
I think paying $2,000 to upgrade (he keeps the originals that you are paying for in the cost of the trailer) is a joke/crime and that dealer is trying to s%x*! you. I would consider buying my trailer from another dealer, if he is trying to do that to you on the tires, I can only imagine what he is doing to you on the cost of the trailer.

GOTTOYS

Take the trailer the way it is. Replace the tires when you get it home. The XPS ribs are considered one of the best but there are less expensive LT tires that will work also. If I was to do it over again I would have installed the Michelins. Be sure to replace the valve stems too with all metal ones. You can put your old tires on Craig's and get rid of them. I got $250. for mine. They weren't the quickest selling things I ever had. Their reputation followed them around. I just pulled mine around 1600 miles on my B.F. Goodrich Commercial LTs. Barely got warm running 62-70 MPH. Not sorry I got them...Don

lwmcguir

You would be best off as the folks on the form suggest, take it home and upgrade. Don't forget about the other brands that make good all steel tires as well.

We have run a lot of Power Kings in the past on odd trailers that didn't get used much. Sure lost a lot of tread off them. Don't use them anymore.

trvlrerik

I upgraded my factory Chinabombs with Michelin XPS rib, great tires no problems untill I hit a cut off fence post damaging 3 sidewalls on the passenger side. so I uprgraded again to Goodyear G614 with the help of insurance money. Sams Club list price of $270 each installed, the down side is that they could not take my Cyclone so I brought the rims in 3 at a time.

I was able to sell the "old" tires within a week by putting a flier up at the local livestock sale barn. I got $240 for 6 Chinabombs, and $300 for 3 Michelins.

jnbhobe

Is that confirmed? Can you use the 265 in place of that 235 with a lower sidewall and have no issues? Thanks!

I used General Commerical Ribs on a Keystone Challenger. Still use the same set for summer tires on my 97 Ford plow truck. They were the optional size on the 97.

6.7powerstroke

Cool. I am going to replace my Chang Star or whatever comes on the trailer with some BFG AT/KO LT tires. They come in the 265/75/16 size in an E rating so it looks like they will fit no problem. Thanks!

lynnmarti

Almost any USA made tire is better than the junk-from-China. I had 3 failures in 1 day with original tires (MISSION) on Bighorn 3400. Replaced with Goodyear Wrangler HT. Would have STs but stranded after dark in north Ga mountains I had to take what I could get and have roadside installation. Damage to Bighorn was $1400+.

lwmcguir

We didn't have much room on the side to go with anything over a 235/85 series. Would have rubbed the shocks with a wider tire before we installed the heavier axles. I am going to install 17.5's this spring which will be slightly narrower and leave a bit more room for tight turns when the tire moves a bit.