tires

jbeletti

Bill,

Not sure if the aluminum wheels used on the BH are the same as on the LM but here in this thread, in the first attached image, the wheel PSI is stamped into the back side.

Ken,

Pulling the kind of load I do with what is considered a light duty truck (1-ton dually), I set my cruise control for a couple miles below the speed limit. Safer for me and I am rarely coming close to the rear of vehicles in front of me. Just saying this is what works for me.

Jim

arisce

dieselengineer said:
The other problem is a "ST" type tire is only rated a 65mph. That means if you travel at or a little above that speed on a day with high temperatures (above std temperature (75 degrees) that the tire was rated at) it will blow. Then add under inflation, well it is not a question if the tire will blowout, it is a question which hour of the trip will it blowout!

The conditions were:
1) Doing 45 in a construction zone
2) Temperature was warm about 70
3) I had check the tire pressure in the morning
4) We stopped several times
5) Travelled 250 miles
6) New tire only 5000 miles
There was no speeding and no under inflation.
Do you have any ideas has to why we had a blowout?

arisce

arisce said:
The conditions were:
1) Doing 45 in a construction zone
2) Temperature was warm about 70
3) I had check the tire pressure in the morning
4) We stopped several times
5) Travelled 250 miles
6) New tire only 5000 miles
There was no speeding and no under inflation.
Do you have any ideas has to why we had a blowout?
P.S. Any response would help all of us.

Scott

Tires Tires Tires

Some of you are making incorrect assumptions. You can't speak of tires and ratings "accross the board.." That is because the load ranges are not necessarily directly rated to the psi ratings.
Different tire manufacturers use different thicknesses of rubber in the sidewalls in their tires - and the maximum tire pressure is determined by the tire mfg. based on the sidewall strength - not the load rating.
That means you can have some G rated tires rated at 80 psi and other G rated tires rated at 110 psi. They will not always be the same psi ratings.
The rim itself should be rated for what the tire pressure rating is.
This is also true for the "ST" and "LT" ratings from different manufacturers, as they do not always have the same psi ratings.

By the way, it is my understanding that the whole "aluminum rims are weaker" myth came from a number of years back and folks using those older style aluminum rims (non-cast) on too heavy of coaches. To this day, I am aware of only a couple of aluminum rims that had to be replaced - and each of those occurred only AFTER a tire failed and the rim hit the ground.
We did have some steel rims in the early going that developed pin-hole leaks in the welds which resulted in slow air leaks. Those were typically swapped out for the aluminum rims by the rim manufacturer and had no further problems.
FYI

nhunter

Just something to think about, if aluminium rims were weak do you think we would see them on highway tractors and trailers?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Arisce,
It's very likely that you hit something in the roadway, since you were in a construction zone. I work in the housing industry and it is quite common to see nails, screws and pieces of jagged metal in the road in construction areas. It seems to me that you did everything you could do to avoid having a blowout.

jbeletti

Karen,

I had my pressure checked during my weigh and I maintained a decent speed on my way home from the rally. But still - somewhere, I picked up a nail. I went through construction in the Indiana/Illinois border area and may have picked it up there - who knows.

I got lucky though and did not have a blow-out. The nail stayed firmly lodged in the tire. I didn't notice it until a week or 2 later when the tire was flat while sitting at my CG.

Jim