Tires

CROY

I hear that the original tires on the heartland 5th wheel are not reliable
(made in china)
i have a big horn 2011 2985rl. Apparently i have heavy- duty e-rated 16" tires
make or brand ???
Should i have these tires changed before delivery ? If yes, what brand/make do you recommend ?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
CROY, if you feel you must change your tires, my opinion is to go with Goodyear G614's. You will need to verify that your wheels are capable of the increased air pressure of 110 psi. You may be able to trade in the tires on your new rig and get a good deal.

OR

Go with the tires you get eith the rig. The 2985 is the lightest of the Bighorn line. Keep an eye on your pressures and inspect the tires often. Check pressure before every time you tow both heading out and going home. Watch for bubbles on the tires.

caissiel

There is many newer 5th wheels in the Resort we are in and there is only 2 of us with G rated tires. Most of the campers I talked with have chinese tires that so far have never given them any problems. Most of them travel over 1000 miles to spoend winter in florida as I do. I travelled over 2000 Miles.

Rrloren

While in Fl. a couple weeks ago one of mine developed a bubble the size of a grapefruit. Fortunately it was spotted by someone behind me just before getting on I-75.
Next day I replaced all 4 tires. I was told most tires are now made in the Far East.

jnbhobe

I agree with Ray, the GY 614's are great. Since you have E-rated tires you can also use a good LT truck tire such as Michelin or Firestone. I have used LT-265-75-16-E with 3415lb capacity, they are the same diameter as the ST 235-80-16-E. These are good to use if you don't have 110lb wheels. If you do have the right wheels go for the 614's

lwmcguir

You can run the 110 psig Goodyear's at 80 with the lower rated wheels. You just have to be cautious and be sure the tires don't get over inflated by someone else to the name plate rating.

jheitman

I ran my powerking towmax str tires 10k miles without problems. I switched to goodyear marathon, which are also made in china. The sidewalls on the towmax were very thin and flexible compared to the new marathons. We'll see how the newly manufacturer goodyears hold up.

TedS

croy, I have a 2011 2985rl and the tires are Power King Towmax and 'E' rated. New brand tire to me so I can not speak to their service. I have about 5k miles on them. I touch them for temperature whenever I fuel, they are normal warm. I watch the air pressure. We shall see.