Tires

srae

I have a 2011 Big Country. While traveling last week we experienced a blowout on one of the tires. These are the original and only about 18 mths old. The trailer came with the Power Kings. They are ST235/80/R16 E load. I was talking to a service rep when we got back home and he said these are poor tires and recommended the Michelin RIB XPS 235/85/R16 E load. Anyone out there have any ideas for a good tire for the trailer?

GOTTOYS

The Michelins would be an excellent choice. I switched to B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs 235/85/16 LT on mine and have put almost 8,000 trouble free miles on them so far. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to run ST rated tires or that the STs have heavier sidewall. I've compared them side by side. The Goodrich tires weigh 10# more per tire. The Michelins weigh almost 20# more per tire. Others have had good luck with Goodyear G614s. They are a load range G tire and do require a wheel capable of holding the 110# of pressure they run at. They only ST tire currently available in the 235/80/16 size that is worth putting on is the Maxxis. They are also the only non-Chinese manufactured ST tire currently available in that size. None of the current crop of Chinese made tires is good for much more than a tire swing in my opinion...Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do you have the damaged tire, or pictures of it? If so, be sure to contact TBC, the manufacturer, you may be entitled to a reimbursement for the cost of new tire(s).

There are many threads on the forum regarding replacement tires/wheels. Upgrade if you can!

lwmcguir

You can have really good performance running the G614'4 at 80 psig. The only problem could be if somone else noted the sidewall pressure and inflated the tire/wheel to 110 psig. Re run some of the old ones after doing duty on the stock trailers on flatbeds at 80 psig. Keep them for sevral more years and never have had a problem with them. They actually weather very well. Just came back from Bismark ND with the G114's which INMHO is the best way to go if you are keeping the Campers for a long time. They didnt even get over 80 degrees at 70 mph.

Vtxkid

No matter what tires you put on your RV, get a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). You won't get to the point of a "blow-out" then!

caissiel

Per my trailer tire experience, the trailer tires are great for light duty and short runs.
LT tires have served me well, even overloaded for years. They will perform well in any condition and can be trusted on the trailer. I over inflated them, overloaded them by over 15% and with no issues.
After having bad results in the same positions with Marathons and Carlisles

caissiel

Like I said, LT tires are capable to exceed pressure and load on trailer application and heat will not happen if speed is kept down. If overloading then pressure has to follow as I did for 40K miles on the previous Unit.
I am not saying it is right, but it was better then the trailer tires I was ruining my trailer with at every long trip. I had metal and screws in storage on every trip to repair the damage the trailer tires did, and using LTs I never needed any repairs because I never had any failures for over 6 years life of the tires.

JohnHD

Hi Don GOTTOYS,

Sorry to tell you but if you look at the tire codes and the Maxxis website, they are made in China. The set of Maxxis I had on my trailer wore out in 8,000 miles and went to Goodyear G614, yes they are a little more expensive, but they are wearing much better then the Maxxis. In fact I am approaching the same number of miles on the Goodyear tires and they are great condition. John

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You really can't go wrong with the G614 even if you run them at 80 psig.

You should only run the G614 at 80 psi if that is okay according to the weight charts. If you are at or close to max weight for the tire and run at 80 psi you are underinflated. The correct cold inflation for the G614 is 110 psi at max weight. I have only said this so as not to mislead anyone that they can run the G614 at 80 psi and be alright.

Duramax1

Hi Don GOTTOYS,

Sorry to tell you but if you look at the tire codes and the Maxxis website, they are made in China. The set of Maxxis I had on my trailer wore out in 8,000 miles and went to Goodyear G614, yes they are a little more expensive, but they are wearing much better then the Maxxis. In fact I am approaching the same number of miles on the Goodyear tires and they are great condition. John

Your post is the first derogatory report that I have seen regarding Maxxis tires. Sounds very odd.

lwmcguir

You should only run the G614 at 80 psi if that is okay according to the weight charts. If you are at or close to max weight for the tire and run at 80 psi you are underinflated. The correct cold inflation for the G614 is 110 psi at max weight. I have only said this so as not to mislead anyone that they can run the G614 at 80 psi and be alright.

Exactly, didn't intend to mislead anyone either. All I wanted to make clear is if you wanted to use 80 psig wheels then you can run them at 80 psig and get great service with the loading of most other 80 psig rated 10 ply tires. We do this all the time with the hand me down tires that go on the lighter trailers. Run them that way until the litteraly fall apart which by the way is many many years. Some folks seemed to think just because a tire has a pressure stamped on it that is what you have to maintain. We run 110 psig in the 17.5's on the Augusta instead of the 125 which works great as the load is fine at that pressure. Good point and glad we made it clear.

Firerad1

The Goodyear G614's are rated to 3,042 lb. load limit at 80 psi. This is their limit with E-rated wheels. If you are going to G rated wheels, then you can run up to 110 psi to get the full load carrying limit of 3,750 lb. load limit. We've decided to get the G-614's with 3750 lb. capable wheels. Once loaded and weighed we can adjust the tire pressure to the load. Then we can monitor with the TTPMS.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The Goodyear G614's are rated to 3,042 lb. load limit at 80 psi. This is their limit with E-rated wheels. If you are going to G rated wheels, then you can run up to 110 psi to get the full load carrying limit of 3,750 lb. load limit. We've decided to get the G-614's with 3750 lb. capable wheels. Once loaded and weighed we can adjust the tire pressure to the load. Then we can monitor with the TTPMS.

Daryl, just so you know, (you probably do), you can order the tire/wheel and suspension upgrade from the factory on your 3585RL .

Firerad1

Thanks Ray. I've learned a lot from you, and several others. We've got the G rated wheels with G614's coming. According to my dealer the factory can upgrade the axles to 7.5K, 8K limit axles with 12.75 X 3.25 drum brakes. But I still end up with a leaf spring and shackle system, and stock bushings. I opted to go with the stock axles and brakes. They only need to work from the factory to MorRyde, where they will be replaced with 8K IS and disks. MorRyde said the 16" wheels will work fine, so I'm staying with them.

lwmcguir

Great choice. There have only been a handul of these tires that have had an issue. We have used them since they came on the market and still have some very old ones on lighter trailers. They hold up well from the weather and are really worth the extra money. Contrary to some folks ideas you can get five or more years safely.