Titan Disc Brake Conversion DIY Install

dlw930

From the 2 times I've heard Ron (the Titan Guy) talk, the motor that operates the hydraulic brake pump is electric, so the truck controller still "thinks" the brakes are electric. No adapter is needed. Just need to bring the controller down to nothing greater than a 4 (3 preferably), but don't quote me on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Bill did the install on my Big Country...I have the Prodigy P3

In regards to the power setting on your controller, Ron suggest doing the 25 mile an hour breaking test... Continue increasing brake controller power until your trailer brakes locked up, and then back the setting down. My "test" locked up at 12, we backed it down to 10… This trailer will now stop!!!

Bill, does your truck have a stock trailer brake controller? Did it work? Or did you have to go with a P3?

dlw930

Yeah. The setting depends on the controller you have. I have a stock Chevy controller and have it set on "8" for my 13 Landmark Key Largo with electric brakes. Stops ok for electric drum brakes. My understanding is that I would need to lower the controller considerably with disc brakes.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Curious where you were able to find room to snake the wiring up to the junction box at the king pin? On my Bighorn 3160EL I used a 1/8" flat wire snake and it met resistance heading aft from the junction box under the front cap no matter what angle I tried... I was just poking around to determine what access was available.

Lance took a a piece of heavy gauge aluminum wire and made a snake. He pushed it from the pin box to the front compartment. No issues that I am aware of.

Bill

- - - Updated - - -

From the 2 times I've heard Ron (the Titan Guy) talk, the motor that operates the hydraulic brake pump is electric, so the truck controller still "thinks" the brakes are electric. No adapter is needed. Just need to bring the controller down to nothing greater than a 4 (3 preferably), but don't quote me on that.

Most newer integrated brake controllers have the ability to select electric over hydraulic brakes. The aftermarket P3 that Lance has definitely has the selection. On my 13 Silvy, the integrated controller would require me to add what I think is a CAM module that fakes the controller into thinking you have electric brakes. YMMV

Bill

Sniper

Bill, I do agree, we were a good team!!

Ron, (TitanGuy), you might be able to talk us into doing installs....we would only charge about $300 for the brake install and $3000.00 for wheel lug nut removal!!!! 
So if I remove the lug nuts you two will do the install for 300 bucks?!? I may just need you to schedule me in. :D