Titan fuel tank 7010201 52 gal

GMCaddic

I want to put this tank on my 08 gmc has any one installed one and how hard was it to install.

Thanks

OEFVET

I too am looking at installing a larger tank. I recommend looking at the Transfer Flow tank as well. The Titan and Transfer-Flow seem very close in comparison.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I replaced the OEM 34 gallon tank in my GMC with the TransferFlow 56 gallon inline one. Had it done by a local dealer from their website. Unless you can raise the truck up enough to work under it (not lying on your back) and are familiar with the fuel system hookups, having it done may be the way to go. That and you need to have the OEM tank almost empty before starting, even if someone else does it, due to the weight and possible spillage. Took them two days to complete it since they couldn't get started until the afternoon I dropped it off. They were a small shop.

Overall, I've been very satisfied with it. Only hiccup is the DIC in my 2009 GMC can't be programmed to show the range for the added capacity, but it's no biggie. The mpg readings are still valid and I know how much fuel is in the tank because the gage still reads it correctly. So, if the range on the DIC says I'm about to run dry, I know there's still 22 gallons of fuel left.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I also have the 60 gal RDS gravity fill.
I just installed it into my second truck.
32 gal plus 55gal = 87 gal.....about.
You don't get the advertised amount in the tank. Gotta leave some head space.

Peace
Dave

scottyb

Go for it. I have the Titan 67 gal on my F350 and it has been a joy. I easily go 800 - 900 mi empty and 450 mi loaded. Fuel gauge works like the OEM tank

porthole

Retired
I want to put this tank on my 08 gmc has any one installed one and how hard was it to install.

Thanks

Two choices for in frame tanks, Titan and Transfer flow.
Titan = plastic
TF = aluminized steel

Titan = larger for a given application
Titan = more $$$

I am on my second Titan, first was in my 2006 GMC SB (52 gallon) and current it a 65 gallon in my F-350 LB.

Both installs were about 2 hours start to finish, in my driveway.

I preferred the Titan over the TF because it was plastic and for a given application it was larger.

Titan seems to have a history of having some debris in the tanks when delivered, so an interior inspection is a must. Vacuum out then wipe down with a lint free towel dampend with some diesel.

Once having a larger then OEM tank installed it is hard to ever think of going back to a stock tank, if you are towing.

GMCaddic

Thanks for all the input very helpful. I just never understood why gm would even think about putting 26 gal. tanks in these trucks they know when you buy a diesel your buying it to tow with mainly . Well now
the new gm's have bigger tanks but I am not ready for a new one.
Looks like I will be going with the Titan I do not want to tie up my bed with a transfer tank . Thanks again

I looked up pricing for this one looks like everyone selling it is about the same.

Cjackg

I just got a quote on a TransferFlow 60 gal tank to replace the oem tank in my Silverado 2500HD. The tank alone was over $1200 and the total with delivery and install was just over $1600! I would recover some of the cost by being able to fill up at lower cost locations but it would take a long time to recover this much... If I was doing a lot of extended trips across the country or to Canada or AK I could justify it but most of our travel is 1 or 2 day trips.

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800115159?p=1&c=10&s=p-

scottyb

Once having a larger then OEM tank installed it is hard to ever think of going back to a stock tank, if you are towing.

I am in the process of selling the F350 DRW with the Titan, and will take over the wife's F250 SB with the 24 gal tank. Although I will not be pulling anything with it, I know I will be looking at another Titan pretty soon.I will be going from 10 days to 2 - 3 days between fill ups.

Lynn1130

I have the Titan 52 gal in my truck. I had it installed for $200 and it was worth not having to deal with the removal and install. The fact that I can go 500 + miles towing and pick and choose refuel location makes it well worth it. Without a trailer behind me I can go 1100 miles but my bladder won't make it that far without stops. I did use EFI Live to change the tank size and DIC to show the correct fuel used and mileage. I really don't care if I never make the cost back in fuel savings. I am just happy that I do not have to stop every 300 miles to refuel with the dinky 26 gal tank.

I think an easier install could be done by removing the bed and installing from above.

B

Boatman

We have the RDS 41gal tank/toolbox combination. Since we have a SB RAM megacab, this tank is perfect. It even has an angular design to make hitch pin installation very easy. 41 gal plus the 38 gal truck tank lets us travel good distances while towing and buy fuel when and where we desire. RDS also makes this design in a 51 gal, but toolbox is very shallow. Installation was easy using their filler neck adapter kit. If I remember, the tank was about $700, adapter kit was $80 and $100 shipping. Worth every penny.

brianharrison

While not a GMC install, I posted a few pics of my 2008 F350 Titan tank install Click here.

If you have a few skills with fuel line clips (low pressure) and a desire - it is not a hard job.

As mentioned the lowering of the old tank takes a bit of planning. I used a tranny jack to support the old tank and raise the new one and hold in place while attaching the straps.

Hope this helps.
Brian

porthole

Retired
Just a note on the Titan install, and to pass on to your installer.

It is critical to follow Titan's instructions with regards to installing the fuel pick/sender assembly.

porthole

Retired
I am in the process of selling the F350 DRW with the Titan, and will take over the wife's F250 SB with the 24 gal tank. Although I will not be pulling anything with it, I know I will be looking at another Titan pretty soon.I will be going from 10 days to 2 - 3 days between fill ups.

When I had my GMC I kept the old tank around for awhile until I was ready to take it to recycling, had to make sure they couldn't "smell" anything left in the tank.

I sold the GMC on Craigslist. The listing offered two prices, the truck stock or with all the extras installed. Except for the fuel tank, as I no longer had it.

I had multiple email requests offering up to $600 for the Titan if I removed it!

So, the Ford's OEM tank is sitting sealed up in the basement. This Titan will either go into the next truck or go on evilbay-craigslist for a downpayment on the next tank.

I am just happy that I do not have to stop every 300 miles to refuel with the dinky 26 gal tank.

I think an easier install could be done by removing the bed and installing from above.

Even not towing that 26 gallon tank was a nuisance.

The tank has to go in from the bottom. Removing the bed would only make getting the lines disconnected easier.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We bought a used Dually Depot 115 gallon tank from Dually Depot in Elkhart in 2013. A transport driver was swapping tanks since this one would not fit his new truck. Dually Depot had cleaned it, and installed it with all new parts-- hoses, pump, switch in cab, filter, locking fuel caps (you can fill from either side of the truck) and fuel gauge. Installed for $800!! We love it. We can get about 100 gallons in it. We can drive from Dallas to Colorado Springs on one tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cb2a8dc21dbc2eb29c6201451e1af175.jpg

DuaneG

I have the 52 gal on my 2008. Originally I was told I could have the computer programmed for the new tank but couldn't find anyone (even tried the dealer) to fix it. When the gas light comes on there is still 10 gallons left. My wife hates it because I will drive another 100 miles with the light on and she can't handle it. She believes the light. I am okay with just doubling whatever the mileage to empty reading is. If it says 300 then I can go 600.

I watched them install mine and glad I paid the $200. Also did bring it in empty as per their request.

Love this thing. One of the best after market purchases ever. Can drive long distances to save gas money and it has paid for itself in gas savings.

Lynn1130

A couple of things here. Thanks for the update on removing the bed to install. I did not do it so was guessing.They did lift the bed to install the lift pump so I was not sure. I wanted to be able to use the bed of my truck for things other than hauling a receiver and fuel tank around so my receiver rails are below bed and the tank replaces the OEM. You can used EFI to reprogram the DCI and analog gauge and I also used to to reprogram the speedo for oversized tires. I did not use EFI for a tune but that can be done too if you purchase the licensing for the computers. And roger that on the small tank. Whomever at GM designed that obviously never towed.

Last edited: