To delete or not delete (DPF/EGR)

RandyDeb

Well My F350 is in the shop getting the EGR coolers and DPF removed. 4" exhaust, S&B cold air intake and SCT tuner. I sure hope the juice is worth the squeeze!! Haha. Going to keep the Bully Dog GT for extra gages for temps. Also got the 60 gal fuel tank installed but not plumbed in yet. Shop owner called yesterday morning and was wondering how to turn off the anti theft alarm! OPS!!!! Should have told him about that... He thought everyone would recover from the horn blast's by Monday.:cool:

On the fuel tank once its plumbed in and fuel added will it draw fuel on its own by the vacuum from just driving the truck regardless if a filter is added or not?

porthole

Retired
On the fuel tank once its plumbed in and fuel added will it draw fuel on its own by the vacuum from just driving the truck regardless if a filter is added or not?

No.

Most auxiliary tanks are plumbed in using a 'Tee' installed in the tank filler hose. Several ways to make the system work, easy to more difficult.

And of any of these choices, I would add a 1/4 turn valve at the tank, before any plumbing, in case there are any issues in the future.

1) straight gravity feed, the 'Tee' in the filler hose has a "rollover valve" installed that has a ball that floats when the filler tube is full shutting off the fuel from the auxiliary tank.
2) straight gravity feed controlled by a 'gravity feed' specific 12 volt solenoid
3) electric pump, dash controlled switch
4) electric pump, tied into the trucks fuel level circuit. Typical is the pump cuts in at 1/4 main tank level and cuts out at 3/4 main tank level.

#1 would be isolated with the 1/4 turn valve you install at the tank.
#3 can very easily lead to a fuel spill, no matter how careful you are.
I have #2, has worked well for 7 years now.

If it was me, I would call the shop now and see what method he is installing.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I also was in fear of black smoke with my deletes but have been very pleased not to have that problem. My '08 6.4 runs as clean as before and without the white smoke after a re gen when I had the dpf.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Not possible. Just because you can't see black smoke doesn't mean it is not running higher emissions.

Like it or not, the DPF serves a purpose.

Porthole, I agree but was referring to the post about black smoke out the exhaust and covering anything in it's path. I have deleted the dpf and do not have visible black smoke. The tune installed with the deletes boosted horsepower by 70 but is primarily for efficiently.

ATM

We also deleted the DPF/EGR on our 08 6.4 and so far has been the best thing we have done with the truck, well next to a updated flash on the truck but that was related to another problem that Ford programmed in on a earlier flash (the dreaded over boost code). I found in the winter it was forever in regeneration mode or I was driving forever to get it warmed up enough to go into regeneration mode, or it was in the shop to diagnose regeneration mode problems, it was one extreme to the other. DPF delete and no more issues, now if I could just keep a radiator hose in the thing...

RandyDeb

Just talked to the shop guys. The truck is done, but after installing the new SCT turner the truck is throwing a ABS code. Never had that problem before. There working on it... :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

ATM
What's up with the radiator hose?

MCTalley

Just out of curiosity, do shops that do DPF deletes require the customer to sign some sort of waiver indicating the vehicle will only be used off-road?

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Not from my experience in Arizona....but with that said there are always qualifiers listed when you purchase delete items such as chips, programmers etc for a deleted truck.
Not sure why a service center would want to have you sign a document agreeing to have him do something that is not within State & Federal law!!! Just my thoughts.

RandyDeb

I was not asked to sign any kind of waiver when I dropped the truck off. The shop is in North Dakota and I did talk to my Ford service Manager before doing this in MN and he said go for it. No warranty to worry about more HP and better economy, what's not to like. I did ask the shop to keep all the removed parts just in case I have a problem and need to put them back on later on... No $$ in keeping them other than the pain of having this stuff lying around for the next 50 years.

Apparently every now and then the guys at the shop run across a truck that will not take the standard off the shelve SCT tuner. He called it "holes in the vin number sequence". Most of the time this happens with a truck of a certain model year built the year before. Say an 08 model built in 07. My truck was built in April of 08, so should have work ok but it would not take the standard tune. So he contacted the manufacture who is supplying a special tune just for my truck. I'm told not a big deal just that this tuner will only work on my truck. It only took 4 extra days in the shop so guess I'll see how big a deal it is when I get the bill!

Power247

I was not asked to sign any kind of waiver when I dropped the truck off. The shop is in North Dakota and I did talk to my Ford service Manager before doing this in MN and he said go for it. No warranty to worry about more HP and better economy, what's not to like. I did ask the shop to keep all the removed parts just in case I have a problem and need to put them back on later on... No $$ in keeping them other than the pain of having this stuff lying around for the next 50 years.

Apparently every now and then the guys at the shop run across a truck that will not take the standard off the shelve SCT tuner. He called it "holes in the vin number sequence". Most of the time this happens with a truck of a certain model year built the year before. Say an 08 model built in 07. My truck was built in April of 08, so should have work ok but it would not take the standard tune. So he contacted the manufacture who is supplying a special tune just for my truck. I'm told not a big deal just that this tuner will only work on my truck. It only took 4 extra days in the shop so guess I'll see how big a deal it is when I get the bill!
My 'extra parts' have been taking up space for almost 4 years. I call it cheap insurance :).

Also, the issue with the supplied tuning should be no extra charge. Vehicle mfgs often make changes the ECM programming between model years even if it seems nothing else seems to have changed. Tuners know this and typically it's just a matter of getting the base file off your​ truck for them to match to or build from.

You are going to love the way your truck drive when you finally get it back 👍

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Porthole, I agree but was referring to the post about black smoke out the exhaust and covering anything in it's path. I have deleted the dpf and do not have visible black smoke. The tune installed with the deletes boosted horsepower by 70 but is primarily for efficiently.

Wipe the inside of your tailpipe with your finger.

If your finger stays clean - no soot.
If your finger is not clean - soot, whether you see it or not.

avvidclif

Those "extra parts" are a big deal. The cheapest replacement DPF filter I found was on Rock Auto and it was $1200, no telling about the Cat converter that came off at the same time. Just the gasket for the DPF is $58. If for whatever reason (trade-in) you have to replace them it could get expensive. Personally I would pick them up with the truck and stash them at home, somewhere.

RandyDeb

Well,,, no truck today. As of 3PM the down load from SCT hadn't been sent. Sure glad I'm not seating on the side of the road! Yet...

avvidclif

Well,,, no truck today. As of 3PM the down load from SCT hadn't been sent. Sure glad I'm not seating on the side of the road! Yet...

Patience, if everything else has been done the download only takes a few minutes. Then ENJOY. If it's like mine the tailpipe will turn black but no noticeable smoke unless I get down on it, then look out. You're going to love it. Gonna drive home, with a few detours naturally, park it and look at it and wonder "what did they do with my old truck".....That ain't it

avvidclif

What kind of mpg are you getting while Towing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If you are asking me I'm not sure. I haven't changed the tire size in the computer since going to bigger tires. The lie-o-meter shows in the 10's. Hand figured in the 9's. It's somewhere in that range, probably 9-11 depending on the wind. This thing has all the aerodynamic capabilities of a concrete block, just bigger.

RandyDeb

Happy Easter everyone!!!

Got the truck back yesterday!!! Yippy! You guys are right about the tailpipe, black smoke and the power! Holy cow! It's like a rocket when you get on it, it just goes! It's just over a 100 miles to the shop from my place with 25 to 30 miles of two line road, a few turn's, one small town and a fuel stop on the way back. The rest is I-29 and 94 The lie-o-meter said 23.5 when I backed in the driveway and still going up. That was with the cruse set at 60 and a couple short "man this thing real goes" stomps on the peddle. Also had a 15 MPH tailwind so not a real good test of what kind of fuel average we will get. Wind is a big deal with this DRW truck. We played with the tuner before leaving the shop and set it up for performance instead of tow, but like Cliff said, that only takes 10 minutes to change. After unloading all the old removed parts I offered the keys to my 19 year old Grandson to "test it out"! He was gone in a second! 30 minutes later with a big smile he admitted that there's nothing but trouble there for me! That thing really goes!

I did notice on the drive back that the gage cluster or " lie-o-meter" blanked out for just a mil-a-second a couple times. I didn't notice any effect to how it was running or the performance, but thought it was worth bring up.