To Dually or not to dually that is the question

boatdoc

I poo-poo'ed the DRW for years and then when I shopped for a new hauler and all the Dodge dealer had here in our small town was the DRW we have now and WE can't believe the diff between the two. Much more stable and I don't have to worry about pin weight. Neither of us buy into the parking routine stuff as we always park away to try and keep all the paint on the sides, besides who doesn't need a little more exersize now days.The thing about upkeep on the two extra's, come on, give it a break and if you can't afford two more tires in 40K-60K miles why do you have a 40K-60K trailer and a 50K-70K tugger. Go DWR and you'll be glad you did. Just back from a 1K trip w/o the 3670 and mileage was hand calc'd at just a smidge over 18MPG, not bad for a 1ton DWR still breaking in with 12K on the clock.

bill40

I poo-poo'ed the DRW for years and then when I shopped for a new hauler and all the Dodge dealer had here in our small town was the DRW we have now and WE can't believe the diff between the two. Much more stable and I don't have to worry about pin weight. Neither of us buy into the parking routine stuff as we always park away to try and keep all the paint on the sides, besides who doesn't need a little more exersize now days.The thing about upkeep on the two extra's, come on, give it a break and if you can't afford two more tires in 40K-60K miles why do you have a 40K-60K trailer nd a 50K-70K tugger. Go DWR and you'll be glad you did. Just back from a 1K trip w/o the 3670 and mileage was hand calc'd at just a smidge over 18MPG, not bad for a 1ton DWR still breaking in with 12K on the clock.

Good reply Gary could not agree more. Always did love the parking lot comments, don't even park the car up close someone is bound to smack a door and you are dead on about the walking.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I poo-poo'ed the DRW for years and then when I shopped for a new hauler and all the Dodge dealer had here in our small town was the DRW we have now and WE can't believe the diff between the two. Much more stable and I don't have to worry about pin weight. Neither of us buy into the parking routine stuff as we always park away to try and keep all the paint on the sides, besides who doesn't need a little more exersize now days.The thing about upkeep on the two extra's, come on, give it a break and if you can't afford two more tires in 40K-60K miles why do you have a 40K-60K trailer and a 50K-70K tugger. Go DWR and you'll be glad you did. Just back from a 1K trip w/o the 3670 and mileage was hand calc'd at just a smidge over 18MPG, not bad for a 1ton DWR still breaking in with 12K on the clock.

Couldn't have said it more politely myself. Tried, but probably would have been banned from the forums. I drive my DRW all over town when I'm not towing and don't have a problem parking or even using drive-thru ATM windows. If a parking spot is tight, just back in. It's easier than you think, and you can pull out a lot easier. Since there are so many people using shopping carts for walkers in the stores, I also park at the outer edges and use my legs.

hoefler

My DRW is not only my tow vehicle, it is also my work vehicle and my daily driver. I don't have another vehicle besides my wife's Tahoe that she drives to work. As far as the parking lot thing, I see so many people that circle the lot for that door side spot. I have gone into Wal-Mart, made my purchase, and came out with the same car load still circling or just getting in that prime spot. Granted, I went in for a single item. We always park out aways, wether it is the dually or the Tahoe, rain or shine. As a whole, we all need the exercise, it saves fuel, and the aggrevation of coming out and finding some s*** box park next to you and their paint on the side of your pride and joy.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Agreed with all of the dually owner comments. The only problem I have is going through the drive-thrus at fast food restaurants, but it is usually quicker to go inside anyway. Besides if you go inside you can check your order before you leave.

JohnDar

If having to buy the extra 2 tires is what separates you from a decent meal or eating with the cat, then maybe being careful on just how big of an RV you get is a consideration for you. Or whether you get an RV at all.

Jellystone

In my opinion, buying the dually is the right way to go. These 5ers are long and heavy. The dually is designed to hold the extra weight on the rear axle as well as provide a stable towing foundation. I've met an awful lot of folks who tell me that they wish they would have bought a dually from the get go, but didn't think they needed it. After towing these large units the first time out, they then realized the mistake. Each and every time I hook up and go, I am glad that I have the proper truck for the job.

Northern Virginia
While I agree that a dually is a better platform for a 5th wheel, I have a single rear wheel and it is a good platform as well. I for one have not felt like I made a mistake with my single and my next truck will be a single as well. It handles fine.

John

Dave012

You may want to stay with a tent and a prius so you don't have to buy those two extra tires.

It sounds like you have enough money that you don't need to operate within a budget or worrying about living within your means. Well done. Success is great.

However lots of folks might have to spend within a budget or watch their dollars and may not appreciate the suggestion that they live in a tent or eat cat food.

Bighurt

It sounds like you have enough money that you don't need to operate within a budget or worrying about living within your means. Well done. Success is great.

However lots of folks might have to spend within a budget or watch their dollars and may not appreciate the suggestion that they live in a tent or eat cat food.

I have to agree an extra $400 every 3 years is a lot for the weekend warrior. Having only needed the tires 10-20 trips in 3 years, but wearing them down 1095 days you used the truck.

You check your tire pressure regularly to extend the tire life why not way the facts of the potential use. $400 goes a long way, that's enough fuel to tow my rig for two years in my checkbook.

I bought the truck I wanted, I also bought the rig I wanted. They marry up just fine, without the extra set of tires.

Triple axle Toy Hauler - Dually
Full timer - Dually
Mid profile - Personal preference
Light - Single

Each needs to weight there own requirements and make their own decision, but telling someone they must be eating cat chow cause they are pinchin pennies is just rude.

boatdoc

Yep, that was me, talking about a tent. If one goes back to the OP, he's talking BigHorn, Big Bighorn, Heavy Bighorn and that's the reason he asked about DRW's. Now to me that means BIG bucks in both the trailer and TV, we're talking over a $110K investment and people wine about buying two extra tires every 3 to 5 years, give me a break!!!! This is not normally a weekend warrior type of investment but a well thought out, long term, first or second home deal. After having this kind of investment one normally doesn't worry about $8.33 a month for extra tires when needed in 4 years. I can certainly see your point about budgets but I really think that might be the 30 year old, small childen, house payment types with a brand new $17K 20' Nomad that gets used 10 times a year. Sorry to have offended anyone but that's the way I see this thread.

jcarnevale

My wife doesn't like the dually not being able to be parked in the garage but I am wondering if any huge advantage.

Any thoughts would be great!!

Here are two thoughts on this post: First, "wife doesn't like the dually not being able to be parked in the garage" Rule number one, always keep the DW happy, and Second, there is no "HUGE" advantage for this camper to be pulled with a dually,.... some, but not huge. The new SRW trucks these days are very capable. With that said, most of us guys love duallies:cool:

Just my thoughts......

Jay

JohnDar

And I made the comment about real food vs. eating with the cat. And I make no apologies for it. The reference is quite simple; if the costs of future maintenance, et.al., are such that you will have difficulties dealing with it or setting aside for it, then perhaps you should reconsider what you are doing or buying. It's called living within your means.

But don't be making disparaging remarks about those of us who chose DRW over SRW for the peace of mind. It took a lot of research for me to come to that decision based on the size of the 5'er we bought, it wasn't just to have a big truck. Being able to afford it was the result of years of budgeting and long-term saving.

BruceL

Hi everyone I am the one that originally asked.

I have to tell you I have really enjoyed reading all of these and frankly I am working hard on my wife as for me I REALLY like the idea of a dually but I also see the single tires wouldn't be the end of the world if my wife put her foot down (or put her foot somewhere else in an upwardly direction).

I have never seen a community of folks so willing to help us newbees and I for one am excited to be a newbee. I knew I would love this but my wife loves the traveling too!! I am still a working stiff in AZ but I am working on leaving for 3 months during the summers.

Again thanks to all as I appreciated all of your comments.

Bruce

caissiel

I have been pulling a heavy trailer for 15 years with a single wheel truck. Had a flat tire on the rear at 60 mph and all I felt was the vibration of the differential. An other time stripped all 8 studs on the passenger rear wheel and lost the rear wheel at 60 MPH, and just pulled off to the side but stayed on the pavement. Did not damage the fender because the wheel center was held by the floating axle hub until it cleared the fender. If I had a dually at the time the complete fender would have been lost, as the duallie have the same studs as the single rear wheels, and I wonder what an offset rim would have done when falling off.

Usually the tires on the SRW trucks are larger and the front end axle is much better supported and safe then the small wheels on duallies. The 4 x 4 trucks are better balanced as SRW and here in the snow its a huge advantage. I usually rotate the tires often and with the aluminum rims its a huge problem with dullies as my friend have found.

As for brakes there is an advantage to have larger tires on the front of the truck because your antilock brakes will cause an awfull scare when it will unlock as the front wheels loose their traction when braking. Had to disconnect the antilock brakes on the previous GM because I was to scared to pull with them on. The Ford has not been a problem due to the weight difference on the front of the truck and the 265/70/17 tires.
Braking with a trailer in tow is like trying to stop on Ice, you have to be well setup to use the maximum braking available.