To Patch or No To Patch

Carleen

Ugh- I picked up a screw washer and all yesterday. It's hard to tell, but I think it's in the shoulder. The tires have only 5k on them... I have road hazard so they can replace it. Given the reliability I need out of them towing the trailer- what are your thoughts?
b10e306eff1ad65c8e285a940693aea7.jpg

jbeletti

Getting close to the sidewall but still in the tread. I'd have discount tire plug it and see how it goes. Might last forever. That said, I've only had this done once - so not a lot of personal experience.

SNOKING

The correct repair is a combination plug/interior patch. Should be ok. Is the tire loosing air? You do not know how long it is until they remove it (I always get to a tire shop before pulling it out). Chris

Carleen

Yup- not loosing air but I refuse to touch it. With my luck, it will be a stubby screw and not gone through, but I will have spent two hours in the shop to find that out. The Quick Lane at Ford takes forever. I would take it to Discount, but the road hazard warranty is through Ford. I am just worried about patching a 10 ply tire and thought I would reach out for opinions. There are mixed answers on the net about it.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

danemayer

Get their opinion on whether to repair or replace before revealing you have road hazard coverage.

Westwind

Had the same thing happen to me on my 08 GMC, don't think I had 5K on the truck, had the local tire dealer put a plug and patch on it and it held up until I replaced the tire at about 42K, so if done correctly it does work. My driving was 100 highway and I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Lynn1130

+1 on what Dan said. I generally go by what Discount says on repair or replace. They won't let me (or any customer) drive out with a tire that could go bad,

GOTTOYS

A combination plug/patch is what Discount tire used on one of mine. That being said...if you have road hazard coverage and they will give you a new tire at no charge, why not??...Don

Aandaar

Allways go with what the tire shop says. Rule of thumb is that if the damage is within 1 inch of your sidewall replace the tire. All of the shops I have used apply this rule including the local Discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

Carleen

Ha! Just a short screw stuck in the tread. Little tiny hole where the tip went through. I got lucky!
6c3e3a28448fb78f6155c31210498f71.jpg

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

avvidclif

FWIW Wally world uses a plug/patch combo and they are everywhere. Abt $10 IIRC. If you can get a new one do it but if not definitely the plug/patch.

Carleen

I'm at Ford and they are doing a plug/patch. If it fails, I would like them to be the one to do it.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

carl.swoyer

Just had the same. Mine went thru,I choose to replace because it is safer. The risk in that area is moisture has already gotten into the steel belt and even with a plug/patch combination the interior rusting away of the steel is a serious problem. It is running the risk of sidewall failure or the piece mind that the integrity of the tire has not been compromised. I replaced mine. Good luck

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I picked up a piece of metal in one of my tires last October while camping up at Blue Mesa (where we are going this weekend) . . .

It was the slow leak that alerted me to the problem.

Went to a small tire shop in Gunnison, CO and they were able to put a patch on the tire ($20 and out of there in less than an hour).

My truck is my daily driver and have put at least 10,000 miles on the truck since then and it is still holding.

Although the tires are getting near replacement with 42,000 miles on them.

Sarge

Ugh- I picked up a screw washer and all yesterday. It's hard to tell, but I think it's in the shoulder. The tires have only 5k on them... I have road hazard so they can replace it. Given the reliability I need out of them towing the trailer- what are your thoughts?
b10e306eff1ad65c8e285a940693aea7.jpg

I've only patched / plugged if that was the best option.

Cars / Jeeps / Trucks / Motorcycles/ etc.

Best option is always to replace at first opportunity.

Especially that close to the sidewall....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have had many tires repaired with the patch/plug method. None have ever failed. My tire guy says a plug is just an emergency repair to 'get you home'