To sell a classic car or not?

Kblock108

I have been struggling with this for some time, about 6 years ago my dad gave me a 1969 chevelle that he had owned for a few years. This car was primed and mostly sat in the driveway. He gave me the car when I graduated from grad school and before kids. Fast forward, I did a complete frame off, powder coated everything, new bolts, paint etc. The car gets looks and I enjoy those rare times I take it out. Over the past year, I am well below 100 miles. Problem is this, my dad gave it to me and has not liked me talking about selling. It is not a family heirloom, but you get the point. With kids, camping and sports this takes the backseat. I am very meticulous and i just can't justify spending more money to make it perfect, when I have lost interest in it. I am strict on a budget so I can enjoy a variety of things in life and I don't see a time in the future where I will spend the money. My 3 year old son likes it, but we have only been out in it once. I could use the money for some things for the entire family and feel a little guilty having it, when we could have a nicer pool for example that everyone uses...a little help please, I'm sure some of you have had similar issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Sell it and move forward... It's just stuff.
"Do your possessions own you or do you own them"?
:cool:

Pizzadigger

If you sell it you will likely regret it later. Keep the car. Don't try to make it perfect,they weren't perfect in '69. Drive the car. ENJOY it. Drive it to work once a week or to your kids events. Have fun with it and use it .A car that you can't drive or won't is no good. You are likely to lose a ton on it if you sell now. So have some fun with it and later on if you still want to sell it clean it up and send it on its way.

Just my thoughts, It's your car.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
No siblings or close relatives that would be willing to take proper care of it in exchange for the opportunity to drive it a little and take it to shows?
I agree that you will regret parting with something that your dad gave you. I'd try to figure a way to keep it in the family.

jnbhobe

You will regret selling it later in life. If its a 69 Chevelle 2dr or SS or HT it will always go up in value. If its a 4dr dump it.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Red, 2 door, SS396! Definitely keep it. However, if you want to let it go for a real good price... :cool:

wrgrs50s

I would find it hard to part with. It's a real beauty ! My thoughts would be to sell it only if someone offered me more than I could refuse. Dont let it go cheap. If you finish the interior, I'm thinking it would go for $35 to $45K to the right collector.

Kblock108

No family decision here, wife does not care for it and in 6 years has been in it once. I am weighing the possibility of regret. If it was stolen, crashed or burned I would not be bummed...just curious what those have felt after parting with something like this.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A SS 396 is a big dollar car if its a numbers matching car. Will be even a bigger dollar car when the economy comes back is a few years. Dont sell it cheap, do some research before you put a price on it. Keep it for awhile and drive it now and then. Take it to car shows (rod runs). see if people ask you if its for sale. Have a number in mind and stick to it.

marvmarcy

If your dad likes the car so much maybe he would buy it back. Most of us change as we get older, have a family, own a home, become involved in different things. If your dad doesn't understand this and you've tried to explain it to him, then this is a personal family issue that only you can settle.

Here's my view from the rocking chair: I've owned numerous classic cars over the years and greatly enjoyed them; the last was a 1966 Corvette with nearly every option. I bought it for $3,000 in 1975 and sold it in 1995 for $35,000. I don't regret selling any of them. They required lots of special attention, took up garage space, and I always worried that something would happen to them. In retrospect, they were just toys/stuff and not what is really important to me now.

porthole

Retired
KBlock - what is that something to do with small block chevy's?

How many times did you write "regret" in your posts?

I have had a lot of cars and motorcycles and a few boats along the way, and I don't regret selling any of the them.

Except for my 1970 340 6-Pak Dart Swinger, 1983 Jeep and a 1982 back to being a real Harley Low Rider.

The Jeep, if i Tried hard enough I could get another one. The Low Rider, nothing will replace my first "new" Harley, especially that relatively rare bird.

My 340 Dart - I have never seen another one, it was a special order from a local guy who intended it to be a drag car, changed his mind and used it to tow around his 40's Ford Flat Head drag car.
Then sold it to some drooling 18 year old ..................................

Westwind

If you are a car guy which you don't seem to be it could be an investment that pays your kids college education/ or help with your retirement. I'm sure your father though it would be something of value and enjoyment for you, but it doesn't sound like the two of you are on the same page.
I think I would get his reaction to your selling it and like everyone said - go slow and do your price research. I will say this, I've met a lot of people who talk about the car they let go and now are sorry. It's one good looking car.

Kblock108

Thanks everyone for the insigt, I ended up pulling the trigger and sold it. I got a little more than I wanted and although it was a little hard the night before, I realized I was going to miss having a car like that and not "it." The night before I sold it I took my dad for a spin for old time sakes, was sitting at a light and a ford raptor decided he wanted some :) we'll... she didn't disappoint :) the day I gave up custody, I saw two old time chevy guys give me the heads up and it was done. Helped that when the guy came for it, I was trying to figure how to get into our greystone, since the wife locked both sets of keys in :). Already thinking of another project :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk