Toggle Switch in Battery Compartment

RVFun4Us

I read a posting concerning a battery disconnect awhile back. As I was storing my 2008 Big Horn yesterday, I noticed for the first time a toggle switch on the left side of the battery/hydraulic compartment. Was wondering the purpose of this switch - could it be a battery disconnect switch? I disconnected my negative battery cable as was suggested on another post while be stored. I have no electrical connection at the storage facility and wanted to make sure there was no internal drain on the battery. So if anyone has an idea what this toggle switch is used for, I would appreciate your comments. I have attached two photos of this switch.

Attachments

• RV Switch.jpg
    RV Switch.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 149
  • RV Switch 2.jpg
    RV Switch 2.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 154

jnbhobe

That switch runs the pump for your slideouts and the knobs in that compartment will shut off each slide one at a time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jon is right. That momentary rocker switch should operate the slides.

Peace
Dave

RVFun4Us

Jon and Dave,

Thanks. Just to clarify though, you say it runs the pump so I take it if I shut this rocker switch off, the pump will not operate? Or is it like Dave suggested to operate the slides from this location? Just trying to determine the actual purpose of a rocker switch at this location and what it is used for. I knew about and have used the individual slide shutoffs.

brianharrison

The rocker switch is "off" when it is in the middle. Pushing one way will operate the slide motor in one direction, pushing the other way will operate the slide motor in the other direction. Technically it is called a "double pole, double throw (DPDT) switch".

Hope this helps.
Brian

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Normally, I just use the switch inside the rig to operate the slides when setting up. I use the switch in the pump compartment, with the valves, if I only want to move a single slide while doing some kind of maintenance or access a blocked cabinet in the storage yard.

porthole

Retired
No dinkey little switch like that could handle the battery current unless it toggled a relay.

25 or 30 amp rated switch - and it does operate a relay/solenoid, visible to the right in the 2nd picture.
The black item with all the wires is a medium duty reversing solenoid.

The switch is not just changing the pump direction. One side of the switch reverses current to the solenoid, running the pump in the desired direction. The other side operates the hydraulic solenoids to actually allow fluid to flow once the pump is running. Minimum of 2 solenoids are used for the hydraulics, one is a pump flow and the other is for slide/s. Some trailers have a solenoid for each slide. Those with hydraulic landing gear or level up will have additional solenoids that are not controlled by that switch.

RVFun4Us

Thanks everyone. So the toggle switch is more of a convenience it sounds like when outside and wanting to move the slides in or out. Sure wish the Heartland Owners Manuals covered some of these things. I just never realized the switch was there until a few days ago and then only by accident after having the Big Horn for 4 1/2 years.

Rodbuster

Is there a switch like this in all rigs?
I have a 2012 Key Largo and I have not found such a switch.

JohnDar

It might be facing backwards and not readily apparent that it is a switch. Mine does.

porthole

Retired
Thanks everyone. So the toggle switch is more of a convenience it sounds like when outside and wanting to move the slides in or out.

Yep, and you can break things with that convenience :mad:

But, I already had a spare door, so no one was the wiser 'cepting the folks on the HL site.

jbeletti

...But, I already had a spare door, so no one was the wiser 'cepting the folks on the HL site.

And you gotta watch us close - 'specially if you don't share your Jack Honey with us around the campfire - then we'll be right over to toggle your hidden switches :)

JohnDar

Yep, and you can break things with that convenience :mad:

But, I already had a spare door, so no one was the wiser 'cepting the folks on the HL site.

So I'm not the only member of that club :rolleyes:. Fortunately, the mirror didn't break and I was able to repair the door frame.

JohnDar

And you gotta watch us close - 'specially if you don't share your Jack Honey with us around the campfire - then we'll be right over to toggle your hidden switches :)

Careful Jimmy. He might like having his switches toggled :eek:.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That convenience can help us discover a whole lot of stuff.
Like cabinet doors are real tough.......hinges, not so much.

Peace
Dave
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rick_debbie_gallant

Jon and Dave,

Thanks. Just to clarify though, you say it runs the pump so I take it if I shut this rocker switch off, the pump will not operate? Or is it like Dave suggested to operate the slides from this location? Just trying to determine the actual purpose of a rocker switch at this location and what it is used for. I knew about and have used the individual slide shutoffs.

The switch is "normally off" just like the switch for the awning, etc. just to clarify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk