Toilet paper

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My only thought to a couple comments.. and this is from a female...you are going to scare anyone new from wanting to ask a question. No one should have to do a search if you have a forum that encourages you to ask questions. Everyone is serious when asking and everyone needs to give them a serious answer to their question. That is the Heartland way and SO HAPPY to see so many did just that. I am smiling..ask the ladies how difficult it is to see all the tires, electric, plumbing, tech questions, etc. over and over!!!! Have a great day!!

Ask away! Some of us aren't put off by answering, and re-answering, questions. And reposting photos, if needed. Or even re-asking a question ourselves. Others may need a dose of prune juice.

whp4262

My only thought to a couple comments.. and this is from a female...you are going to scare anyone new from wanting to ask a question. No one should have to do a search if you have a forum that encourages you to ask questions. Everyone is serious when asking and everyone needs to give them a serious answer to their question. That is the Heartland way and SO HAPPY to see so many did just that. I am smiling..ask the ladies how difficult it is to see all the tires, electric, plumbing, tech questions, etc. over and over!!!! Have a great day!!

I would agree. I have seen the same question asked multiple times by different people who could have probably found the answer by doing a search. However, when people take the time to answer a question, especially from a newbie even though it has been answered before. I think it gives the person the feeling that they are in a conversation with real people who are friendly and willing to help instead of a cyber search engine that only cares about 0s and 1s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I don't think searching before you ask is unreasonable. You may find the answer without starting a new thread and scattering the same information all over the site. Just my overly organized mind but right now there are probably 20 threads asking the same question about toilet paper and burping toilets. Inefficient and ineffective for gathering information. We all love to be helpful so everyone jumps in and gives their advice and thought. I find that many times the question I have has been covered quite well and there may be photos and documentation attached to help. If someone asked the question again months later they may not get the helpful information that is already posted not to mention the additional storage space on the site.

And you pretty much hit the nail on the head when you said "I am smiling..ask the ladies how difficult it is to see all the tires, electric, plumbing, tech questions, etc. over and over!!!!" I think there are about 100 TowMax threads. Is that really necessary or a good way of passing on info? I had ask if these could be combined but I guess there is no interest. I also said then that I almost posted "the search engine is your friend" but feared someone would take it the wrong way. I am not saying don't ask. I am saying save some time by searching. Then if you can't find the answer go for it, ask the question. You will certainly not be chastised for doing so and you will get a great response on here. There are some sites out there that if you jump on and ask a question that has been asked a couple of hundred times one of the moderators will kindly mention that you might try doing a search first. That won't happen here. Someone will jump in and help.

Here is an example. This is a current thread with several answers. Look at the bottom of the page of answers and there are 5 previous threads on the same topic (5 is the max that it will list.) I am sure there are more. They pretty much all cover the same question. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/50939-Ladder-for-the-top-bunk-in-garage

An after thought. If you go the library looking for a book do you just wander the shelves until you find it or do you go to the library's search process to find it?

Last edited:

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I just don't see what this is a problem. It's their first post man if you don't want to help then don't read it, it's up to you ..

Lynn1130

And I think you missed my point. No one, including me, said it was a problem. It is a suggestion for people searching to help themselves find answers faster and combine some of the thousands of answers into someplace that they can be found easier. And who said I did not want to help? That actually is what I am trying to do. Yours is a strange response to an attempt to be helpful.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok, here's a related question I've always wondered. What is "plenty of water?" Like, step on the toilet flush for 5 seconds? 10? 30?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I would think that household TP might be OK if you always have sewer hookups, but only if the campground is connected to a city sewer system.

If the campground is running a septic tank, or you are camping without sewer hookups, then I would think the RV TP would be the better choice.

For the record, we always use the RV TP when trailering just because it seems a better choice for the RV lifestyle . . . and possibly our black tank!

However . . . maybe we are wasting our money . . . I don't know.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is something to remember that I don't think has been mentioned. Do not leave the black tank open while using it. The reason is the liquids will flow out and the solids will stay in it building up. Keep the drain closed until the tank is full or nearly full. Then drain it, and while draining it use the flushing system. It you don't have a flushing system, then drain it and then close it, then add water and drain it again, repeat several times until it flows clear. This will cause the solids to flow out of the tank, including the toilet paper, regardless of the brand used.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here is something to remember that I don't think has been mentioned. Do not leave the black tank open while using it. The reason is the liquids will flow out and the solids will stay in it building up. Keep the drain closed until the tank is full or nearly full. Then drain it, and while draining it use the flushing system. It you don't have a flushing system, then drain it and then close it, then add water and drain it again, repeat several times until it flows clear. This will cause the solids to flow out of the tank, including the toilet paper, regardless of the brand used.

And always add several gallons of water back into it after you've finished dumping/flushing. Never start with a completely empty black tank. I typically add 8 to 10 gallons back in. I'd rather dump more often than deal with a poop pyramid in the tank.

danemayer

Ok, here's a related question I've always wondered. What is "plenty of water?" Like, step on the toilet flush for 5 seconds? 10? 30?

I usually start with at least 1/2 full bowl of water and then after flushing, keep the pedal down for 5-10 seconds.

olcoon

I just did an unintentional experiment, I put a piece of TP, about 2 sheets, in the stool in our sticks & bricks, and it was in there for a few hours. We use the Sam's Club TP, probably the cheapest they've got. Later I put some water in the stool, and the TP that was in there TOTALLY dissolved. You could just barely see little pieces of the TP in the water. I think we'll try using this instead of the Angel Soft, it'll probably be a little cheaper.

dlw930

Glad you did the test, however unintentional, with the Sam's TP. We used a pkg of Camco TP when we first got our RV two years ago. Then we decided to switch to Sam's and haven't had any problem, although I do see some small white clumps flow out (I have the clear plastic elbow on the sewer connection) flow out while emptying the black tank.

olcoon

In post # 4 of this thread I posted a link to a product called Unique. I've been using it almost since we got our coach in 2011, and LOVE it. The only time I see anything other than brown water coming out when I dump, we also have the clear plastic section at the end of the dump valve. About the only time I'll see anything other than liquid come out is if the stool was used recently.

dlw930

In post # 4 of this thread I posted a link to a product called Unique. I've been using it almost since we got our coach in 2011, and LOVE it. The only time I see anything other than brown water coming out when I dump, we also have the clear plastic section at the end of the dump valve. About the only time I'll see anything other than liquid come out is if the stool was used recently.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Gary521

About a year ago, there was a lot of RV chatter on the internet about Angel Soft changing its formula so that it did not dissolve as well for RV use. Maybe something to check out.

olcoon

I think they did, but we still use it and haven't had any problems. When I dump, I watch the clear plastic and very seldom see anything but brown liquid. When I first saw that they had changed it, I look on the package, and some packages will say "septic tank safe" and others don't. From what I've heard if it says "septic tank safe", it should be OK. Everytime I dump, I'll add Unique, and fill the stool with water and flush 3 times.

I guess I'm the black sheep....We use Charmin Ultra Strong. I'm sure thats a huge no no but I prefer to use more digester, and flush more than have a wet hand.

danemayer

I guess I'm the black sheep....We use Charmin Ultra Strong. I'm sure thats a huge no no but I prefer to use more digester, and flush more than have a wet hand.

Also using Charmin Ultra Strong - from Walmart. Dump weekly without problems. I flush the tank 3 times.