Toilet paper

Gary521

I guess I'm the black sheep....We use Charmin Ultra Strong. I'm sure thats a huge no no but I prefer to use more digester, and flush more than have a wet hand.

I think you will have more than a wet hand once the Extra Strong gets wedged in the shut off valve. I think that there is a reason for quick dissolving TP.

danemayer

I think you will have more than a wet hand once the Extra Strong gets wedged in the shut off valve. I think that there is a reason for quick dissolving TP.

I just put 2 sheets in a bowl with 2 cups of water. Waited 3 minutes and stirred the water gently. The Charmin Ultra Strong TP falls apart pretty easily.

We have a rule to never put TP down the tank! Many full timers have had problems with clogs, daily use is a different ball game. flushing the tank may not solve all accumulation problems,,,,

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have a rule to never put TP down the tank! Many full timers have had problems with clogs, daily use is a different ball game. flushing the tank may not solve all accumulation problems,,,,

Have not had a clog in the years we've had the rig. Not full-time, but several weeks at a time during the summer. Unless you're running off the water tank, using enough water in the toilet and not wiping with half a roll will prevent most problems. Having the accessories to back flush the sewer system will knock any blockage out of the way when it does occur.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Now, I have experience with owning a house on a lake with a septic system, so maybe I have a little more knowledge with this issue!

No matter what anyone has to say, you should use TP that is rated for RV use ONLY as you never know what the RV park or campground has as a sewage dump situation!

We only use RV-rated TP as we have experienced first hand what happens when you don't!

And let me tell you this . . . cost WAY MORE than $5000 to fix said situation!

aatauses

The paper should break down no matter what brand----the issue is the type of glue/binder used in the process. Usually rv paper has a bio-gradable/water based binder. You can check mfg web site to see what they use.
al

MotoLynx27x

I think TP type is just as important as the location of the toilet is over the tank itself. I noticed the other day when I filled the tank up so I could dump it that when the tank was empty I could see straight through the pipe to the bottom of the tank which seemed to be only a few inches from the bottom of the pipe. Underneath the trailer, I can confirm that the toilet is positioned almost as far to the shallow end of the tank as possible, meaning it will be very easy for a pyramid to form if we are not careful. I told my wife to make sure and use a ton of water with each flush.

As I think about the situation more, it seems like it would be a good idea to have a push botton valve on the wall that would add an extra amount of water to the tank whenever needed. It could shoot it directly into the pipe above the tank or into the vent line without having to fill the toilet three times or holding the flapper open while fumes fill the bathroom.

We use RV approved tissue. I'd like to use Charmin or something softer but the risk of a clog is too great.

JohnD

As I think about the situation more, it seems like it would be a good idea to have a push botton valve on the wall that would add an extra amount of water to the tank whenever needed. It could shoot it directly into the pipe above the tank or into the vent line without having to fill the toilet three times or holding the flapper open while fumes fill the bathroom.

We use RV approved tissue. I'd like to use Charmin or something softer but the risk of a clog is too great.

The Thetford toilet in our Trail Runner will allow you to run water into the bowl . . . just press the foot pedal not even halfway and water will run into the bowl without opening the flap to the tank.

Not sure if it meant to work that way . . . but it does!

whp4262

The Thetford toilet in our Trail Runner will allow you to run water into the bowl . . . just press the foot pedal not even halfway and water will run into the bowl without opening the flap to the tank.

On mine you lift the foot pedal up to fill the bowl and push it down to empty it. Never had clogging problems with any of my campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotoLynx27x

Yea, I use the half press feature to fill the bowl ever time I use it. However I'm talking about adding water directly to the tank without involving the toilet and thereby I avoid having to flush the toilet just to add water to the tank.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Now, I have experience with owning a house on a lake with a septic system, so maybe I have a little more knowledge with this issue!

No matter what anyone has to say, you should use TP that is rated for RV use ONLY as you never know what the RV park or campground has as a sewage dump situation!

We only use RV-rated TP as we have experienced first hand what happens when you don't!

And let me tell you this . . . cost WAY MORE than $5000 to fix said situation!

Just curious. What exactly is the difference between RV toilet paper and Septic Safe toilet paper? I one thing is the price.

JohnD

Just curious. What exactly is the difference between RV toilet paper and Septic Safe toilet paper? I one thing is the price.

I'm not an engineer of toilet paper making . . .

Although I think someone mentioned in an above post about certain ingredients used in the two different types of TP.

But I do know that most remote campgrounds and RV parks are on their own septic systems.

So it is not just our own trailer tanks we need to worry about.

And I do know from our years of living on a lake in southern Michigan that you do have to be careful what you put down there, unless you like frequent (and expensive) visits from the pump truck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think marketing.
But just because the lable tells you something it doesn't always make it practical in real world use.
On a similar note, on the market are personal wipes advertised as "flushable".
The city of New York has been spending a boat load of money on maintenance and breakdowns due to the "flushable" wipes as they do not break down and plug up the system.
So choose your TP wisely grasshopper.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

whp4262

I think the 3 most popular posts on the forum might be guns, tires and toilet paper. Who would have guessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk