toilet smell

we have a new bighorn, bath and a half... we have a terrible smell in the full bath that smells like rotten eggs.... we flush and flush and the take is currently empty but smells to the high heavens? can anyone advise?

danemayer

Hi deanaquinn,

Congratulations on the new Bighorn and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

If the toilet bowl holds water and there's no water leaking around the base, it may be the gray water tank that smells. Normally the p-traps under each drain block odors from coming back into the coach. But there are several issues that can arise.

If you're running with gray tank valves always open, as other campers dump tanks, gasses can be forced back up into other connections. A way to deal with this is to allow your sewer hose to droop near where it connects to the trailer, in effect creating a large p-trap.

It's also possible you have a Studor Air Admittance valve under the bathroom sink. When water is going down the sink the valve allows air in to keep the draining water from being siphoned out of the p-trap. If the valve is stuck closed, it won't do its job. If it's stuck open, gas from the gray tank will enter the bathroom. Gray tanks can smell terrible. You can test for a valve that's stuck open by putting a plastic bag over the valve with a rubber band holding it tight. If the smell goes away, the valve needs to be replaced. They're available at many hardware stores for only a few dollars. If you suspect the valve is stuck closed, after using the bathroom, wait a few seconds and add just a little water in the sink to refill the p-trap.

I've attached a picture that shows a Studor valve, although it's from a kitchen sink.

Attachments

• Studor Air Admittance Valve.jpg
    Studor Air Admittance Valve.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 69

hoefler

Also could be you fresh water system. When was the last time you sanitized your water system??

MTPockets

Our rig had the smell when new for too long. One day on the forum someone mentioned the gaps where the pipes exit the roof. I removed the cover and sealed the gap around the pipe and have had no odors since.. Apparently the vented odors would then seep back into the ceiling cavity and find their way inside wherever they could.. Sealing all the gaps around tank vents may help.

we sanitize every week when we clean out the tanks... then we flush and currently we are empty and the smell is awful... thanks for your help... d

Lou_and_Bette

Our rig had the smell when new for too long. One day on the forum someone mentioned the gaps where the pipes exit the roof. I removed the cover and sealed the gap around the pipe and have had no odors since.. Apparently the vented odors would then seep back into the ceiling cavity and find their way inside wherever they could.. Sealing all the gaps around tank vents may help.

Exactly the issue we had also. The remedy was the same, sealing the gaps around the vent pipe and the opening in the roof.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do you have a washing machine hooked up? It could be the P trap for the washer drain line has dried out, allowing grey tank gasses into the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks Erika, we don't have a washer yet so nothing hooked up there but everyone has given us great suggestions to look into... thanks, deana.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
thanks Erika, we don't have a washer yet so nothing hooked up there but everyone has given us great suggestions to look into... thanks, deana.

Right, because you have not used the washer drain, there may not be water in the P trap. Pour some water down the drainpipe to add water to the P trap.

MTPockets

Right, because you have not used the washer drain, there may not be water in the P trap. Pour some water down the drainpipe to add water to the P trap.

. That will work, but I would think only until the water evaporates.. We sealed ours off entirely since no W/D was planned.

rxbristol

Correct. Seal those gaps and your smell problems will go away.

Rockin_Dollar_B

New Mexico Chapter Leaders-retired
Also could be you fresh water system. When was the last time you sanitized your water system??

We learned this one the hard way! Took it out after the winter and the fresh water smelled so bad, I wouldn't even shower in it. Hubby went through the sanitizing process for the fresh water tanks and all is rosy once again! We think it was the quality of the antifreeze we used as it was not a problem last year.