Tow Max STR = exploding tire and RV damage

GT4Point6

Kevin Margetta
If you have Tow Max STR's on your RV, GET RID OF THEM ASAP!

I don't post much, had great luck with the Sundance so nothing to really complain about or need to check on except when I found the front heater vents not plumbed correctly.

RV is a 2014 Sundance, 0413 is the tire manufacture date. Three years old, 6k.

6k on them and they look like this, blew one out in Texas and caused some damage I'll probably fix myself but will cost for trim and other busted parts when that piece of CRAP came apart.
Absolute CRAP, I can't believe any major manufacture will use these.
I check tire pressure daily, that is not an issue. So "bloated" they were actually touching when we pulled into the house, smelled like burning rubber in the RV then I noticed they were touching. Tires would roll with a "bounce" in them, not round anymore.
The good pics are of the new Carlisle tires I put on, outstanding tire from previous trailer usage.
All in all, $1k down the drain due to CRAP tires. All four were this way, not just one, leading one to concluded that when 4 out of 4 have the same issue, it's the tire.

Pressures checked daily when towing.
Stored on drained concrete pad
Tires protected from sun 24/7 when not towing.

Considered trying to get the dealer or Heartland to fix but have to move RV 250 miles this weekend. If they did give in and I doubt it, I'm sure they would "Pro rate" the tires and I'd almost end up buying new anyways so I can't go through that right now.

Crap on a rim

Compared to unused Tow Max spare (used tire in background, unused in foreground) Used is considerably taller!

Really? Can't even hold it's shape...

Propper spacing with new Carlisle Trail HD's

danemayer

Some people work with Dynamic Tire to get a settlement. You might consider filing a report on the NHTSA website and making one or more tires available to them for failure analysis. If they determine there is a manufacturing defect, they can require corrective action to help everyone with Towmax tires installed. A lot of people feel that there is a manufacturing defect, but if NHTSA never gets a failed tire to inspect, they will never come to that conclusion.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
The problem with the TowMax aka BlowMax, ChinaBombs have been talked and posted many...many....many times on this forum and others including Facebook just do a search and you will come up with plenty to read about.

DuaneG

My big blow out was less than a week ago. I saved my tires and filed a report with NHTSA like mentioned above. Those are good example prior to explosion so may be of interest to investigators. If I don't hear anything soon I will be collecting names to pressure them into properly investigating this. I am a private investigator so PM me your real names and details on what happened to your tires and when and I will compile a list.

Abear79

My big blow out was less than a week ago. I saved my tires and filed a report with NHTSA like mentioned above. Those are good example prior to explosion so may be of interest to investigators. If I don't hear anything soon I will be collecting names to pressure them into properly investigating this. I am a private investigator so PM me your real names and details on what happened to your tires and when and I will compile a list.

Please let us know what you find out. I have a tracking number from NHTSA, if I find out anything Ill post it

GT4Point6

Kevin Margetta
Thanks all, I see now it's very common so just adding my case so as many as possible are aware.

I don't do Facebook or any social media other than the occasional message board, invasion of privacy and security issue IMO, but that is a personal choice.

I was unaware of the blowout issue on the Towmax when it blew in Texas, wasn't concerned with keeping the bad tire so it's in a shop in Amarillo or landfill by now...
I did file with the NHTSA but noting on the report or file procedure ask if you have tires or item of question. If it did, I would have kept the three pieces of crap that I changed out. It also never ask for dollar damage which I think would be helpful to them in determining if it's worth looking into.
I have to move the RV 250 today so keeping the old ones on wasn't a thought, I'd rather be safe than a double blow out going up or down a 8% grade!

Some people work with Dynamic Tire to get a settlement. You might consider filing a report on the NHTSA website and making one or more tires available to them for failure analysis. If they determine there is a manufacturing defect, they can require corrective action to help everyone with Towmax tires installed. A lot of people feel that there is a manufacturing defect, but if NHTSA never gets a failed tire to inspect, they will never come to that conclusion.

Dynamic tire.com doesn't even list the Towmax, go figure. Probably changed the name or stopped making them. Also explains when I did an internet search for Towmax, only shops selling them came up, no manufacture info. I'll email them and see what they say. I expect nothing from them so we'll see.

Best of luck to those who choose to keep them on their rigs's, I went with Carlisle based on previous trailers with great results!