Tow max

rhett92

Hey guys. Curious on opinions of tow max on my road warrior. Going through the mountains in the winter here. Tired Mabey have 4000 km on them and look fine. But I've read they can come apart. Let me know your thoughts if I should be purchasing new tires or if you guys have had good luck with them. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

nfa1eab

Very bad reputation on those tires. I upgraded mine before leaving the lot. Went with Goodyear GST 614 G series. 9,000 miles this year , no issues.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

pegmikef

I would. Mine looked good on my North Trail TT which is considerably lighter than your rig and then I had a blowout. A second one got a bulge in it so I got rid of them except the spare. I faithfully monitored the PSI so they were always inflated correctly. My TT was never overloaded, not even close.

wrgrs50s

Towmax has to be the worst tire possible. There are hundreds of horror stories with pictures I've seen on multiple forums.

Dynatrak

I would highly suggest replacing them ASAP. Mine were not quite 3 years old when one blew and tore up the side of my Bighorn. I can't be sure something didn't cut the tire but I didn't see anything in the road when it blew. There wasn't an obvious cut on the tire. I now have Maxxis.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Do a search of Tow Max here and spend a few minutes reading through the threads. That should answer your question in spades.

There are photos with some of the threads that will give you an idea of the damage these tires have done.

MTPockets

Never had TowNax, but friends with some other brand, and hundreds more report horror stories. You should be worried.

kowAlski631

Hey guys. Curious on opinions of tow max on my road warrior. Going through the mountains in the winter here. Tired Mabey have 4000 km on them and look fine. But I've read they can come apart. Let me know your thoughts if I should be purchasing new tires or if you guys have had good luck with them. Thanks

Get them off your trailer sooner rather than later. First blowout at less than 3,000 miles was in the Nevada desert miles from civilization. Tore off a fender. We thought one and done - nope, second and third had sidewall bubbles. Fourth one was a blowout that took out the hydraulics on the rear auto level system. We travel at 55mph, check and adjust pressure at each stop, use our TPMS, and neither of us recall hitting debris, potholes or curbs.

avvidclif

They are not called BlowMax for no reason. If you search them you won't spend minutes but hours reading and that's just on this forum.

TxCowboy

Several tire dealers in my area are offering Bloxmaxes for less than $100 per tire. That should be an indication right there that (1) they are crap and (2) the word is finally getting out about them.

Replaced the Bloxmaxes with Goodyears earlier this year on my old HL Greystone and gave the Bloxmaxes to the the owner of the tire shop that installed the GYs. He told me he only sells Bloxmaxes to local farmers and ranchers who use them on farm equipment that never gets on the road. He refuses to sell them for trailers that will be used on the roadways. I guess that should tell us something too.

ac65b40d468baf64cad7765fa1fc4db5.jpg

I had 2 Towmax tires blow last weekend. When I had the others taken off at the tire shop yesterday, one of my "good" tires, the belt had separated and was only a matter of a couple more miles before it blew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

I almost couldn't give mine away when they were new. I think I got $100.00 for all four from a farmer. Had them on Craigs and nobody wanted them ....Don

NHCelt

Not only are they known to be a blowout waiting to happen, they have been that way for years. My bad experience with them was in 2009...so much for government oversight.

My rule of thumb is to go up a load rating whenever you can and are replacing tires...the unknown is the psi capacity of your wheels, but they should be stamped.

danemayer

Not only are they known to be a blowout waiting to happen, they have been that way for years. My bad experience with them was in 2009...so much for government oversight.

Government oversight is by way of National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). They investigate and if they determine there's a manufacturing defect, or even mislabeling, they can order a recall. But it's based on evidence, not on forum posts.

Anyone who has a blowout and thinks there is a manufacturing defect should file a report with NHTSA and make the failed tire available for inspection. But instead, most people send the tire back to the tire distributor or manufacturer for inspection in the hope of getting a small reimbursement.

If no tires are made available to NHTSA for inspection, no defects will be found, and no recalls will be ordered.

Lynn1130

Rather than looking at these, or any tire, before they blow up and spread the tire over 2 miles of roadway, they should be inspecting them, and testing them prior to distribution but like most government agencies they us the "barn door" method.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Anyone who replaces your BlowMax tires . . . do the spare as well!

If you don't trust them on the trailer in the first place, they why would you trust them as a spare?

agpopp

I had to get a new tire last week after what I believe to be a road hazard took out a chunk of tread on the Hi-Run brand tired that were on the rig when I got it. I went to a tire Kingdom in Clermont, FL and the tire bought is a Power King Tow Max STR II. I wonder if the II is a better tire because I see the regular STR is being closed out. I am going to order either one more of the STR II Towmax or 2 of the Hi-Run tires (I have had good luck with this brand in the past)

TxCowboy

The Tow Max STR II must be a new tire. Can't seem to find any reviews of them online. Almost anything would be an improvement over the original STRs.

agpopp

I've been reading china bomb threads for years and I still cant get that a tire manufacturer has not stepped up and produced a tire that lasts. People would buy them like hotcakes.