Tow Vehicle Setup - requirements?

lwmcguir

Sure will be interesting to see how the Scorpion does out of the box. We have 6.0 engines as well as 7.3 and have had injectors replaced. However we have had to replace wiring harness and oil pumps on the 7.3 which operate the injectors. Cost about 1500 for either one. Most of our repairs have been above 100K. Egr coolers are susceptible after 100k and can cost 2 grand. If you are looking at a used 6.0 either get the extended warranty or factor that in.

2010augusta

Look on you tube under 7.3 vs. 6.0 powerstroke. It's quite interesting.

You talking about the "drag race" or the tech talk about the differences between the two and how most of the problems were related to the German engineers not realizing how dirty US diesel fuel is/was compared to European diesel?

lwmcguir

2010Augusta brings up a good point. The 6.0 has two fuel filters. Don't push the mileage beyond 15-20K with quote normal fuel that you typically get. Push it and you will possibly loose injectors.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Simply happy I have my 7.3

I must be lucky or something. Never had a problem with my 7.3 except for changing glow plugs in 175,000 + miles and still going strong. I installed a K&N air filter system, 5 inch exhaust, oversized transmission cooler, engine oil bypass system, air bags, sway blocks, grease fittings on all universal joints, pyrometer, trans oil temp guage, turbo boost guage and a lot more smaller items. It runs like a top and it is paid for!

Last edited:

Drew

I must be lucky or something. Never had a problem with my 7.3 except for changing glow plugs in 175,000 + miles and still going strong. I installed a K&N air filter system, 5 inch exhaust, oversized transmission cooler, engine oil bypass system, air bags, sway blocks, grease fittings on all universal joints, pyrometer, trans oil temp guage, turbo boost guage and a lot more smaller items. It runs like a top and it is paid for!
Thats not luck, thats the norm for a 7.3. I have a 02 that i gave to the wife to drive. When she drives away, I still look at the truck adoringly, I mean the wife......

wdk450

Where are all the problem Dodge Cummins postings?

I have been folowing this forum for a while, and I can't remember postings on fuel injector, or other chronic problems with the Dodge/Cummins. I have a 2004 3500 with the smaller engine I bought last year for $20K, with about 58K miles on it. The mileage is in the low 20's w/o the Bighorn, about 12 towing. Lots of storage in/under seats, added a saddle toolbox in the bed from Craig's list ($50) and painted it to match the truck.

caissiel

Well said wdk450, I paid $20,000 for my high millage 2005 F250 2 1/2 years ago and so far the truck has been a great performer. The new clean diesel now available, has solved most injector problems. But I also had great service with my previous 6.5L GM Diesel. Just PM Maintenance in 9 years of ownership. I stay away from the service deptments and do all my preventive maintenance. Its always to late, waiting for warranty services. I was in Maintenance Supervision all my life, and the best of equipments, including Cummins Engines needed preventive maintenance. In addition, the 6.0L has 2 fuel filters, I change the lower filter 1st and wait a few miles before changing the top filter, that way the top filter will catch all the dirt disturbed by the lower filter change, then the new filter is much cleaner, never failed me so far. On the GM I would change the filter when the pump pressure would drop. But I did check the pressure and drain the filter often. PM, PM, PM is what is required.