Tow vehicles

tommigb2

I have a 3470RL ordered and have been getting conflicting info on what I need to safely tow it. I have seen 3/4 t trucks with single axles as well as doolies. The respective owners are satisfied with the vehicle they have. I need an objective opinion on what the maximum I need. Will a 3/4 T diesel handle it or do I need something larger?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
For me...if I was towing a 16,000 GVWR trailer I would want a 1 ton. Our BC has a 15,000 GVWR and pin weight puts us at max vehicle GVWR. Our 3/4 tows and stops it just fine but we don't load the trailer to it's max or carry water while traveling.

Best Wishes!

jbeletti

I agree with Steve on using a 1 ton for the 3670. I believe it's about a 16k GVWR. That said, truck specs are always changing in terms of their tow/haul ratings. So be diligent in doing your math homework. And start by assuming you will need to tow at your RV's GVWR. Then figure 20-25% of that GVWR will be pin weight. Pin weight then is compared against the trucks haul capacity, GAWR and the combined weight rating of all (2 or 4) rear tires. When you are within all those ranges on the truck selected, you're made a great, safe choice.

Best of luck.

Jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I don't know what the weight laws are in KS, but in California you would be sited for using a 3/4tn to pull a 16K trailer. Blunt and to the point you need a 1tn duelly. It's safer, more stabile and legal. JMHO

aquiring signal

You do not, I repeat do not NEED a dually to pull a 3670. I pulled a 3670RL for 3 1/2 years with a single rear wheel 3500 and was within the truck manufacturer's maximum weights for pin weight (weight in the bed), rear axle, max towing weight, and GCVW, etc. Would a dually be more stable? Sure, because it is wider. Though the dual rear wheel trucks are always rated to carry more weight in the bed, that does not necessarily mean they are always rated by the manufacturer to also tow more weight. In fact, the tow weight rating on my single rear wheel truck is slightly higher than that on a dually from the same year. That's because the extra weight of the dual rear wheel components use up some of what you could have been pulling. If I was towing every weekend, I'd probably want the dual rear wheels, but since I only tow a few times a year & use the truck as a daily driver, the single rear wheel variety is a better compromise for me.

Could you pull the 3670 with a 3/4 ton truck and be within the manufacturers rated numbers? I doubt it. Sure, the 3/4 T trucks sometimes have the same engine, trans, rear end, etc. and COULD pull the 3670, but if you run the numbers you will probably be over on your GCVW. Many will tell you that the 3/4 ton trucks are the same as the 1 ton trucks except for a spring or two. That may be so, but adding airbags or 1 ton springs will not change the original numbers that the manufacturer put on your truck. If you have a 3/4 T truck already, I'd probably make it work, but if you are planning to buy a truck, I would definitely use a 1 ton.

Look at the weight of your trailer & the pin weight and compare that to the numbers for your particular truck & its components to be sure. I love safety margin, but you have to stop somewhere. I mean, I could get a Ford F450, or a F550, or a Freightliner or a ......

Last edited:

Jellystone

tommigb2, in my opinion, if you are planning on towing a 16,000lb trailer then go with a 1 ton dually. Rolling back and forth across these highways and interstates while doing 60mph with these heavy rigs is serious business. Always be sure to have the proper tool (tow vehicle) to perform the job.

billnsue

Welcome Tom! We have a 3670RL and tow with a new Dodge Ram 3500 4:10 SRW. Pulls and stops without a problem. It's not broken in yet but have been getting 11 mpg and we full time with all of Sue's "stuff" ;)
Have fun!

tommigb2

Thanks for all the advice. I will continue to research the subject since the trailer is not due for another couple of weeks. Now I am leaning towards a 1ton but still not crazy about a dually.

ultrafarmer

I am not crazy about a duelly .. I bought a single 1 ton. Works good for me. I put on Goodyear Pro Grade tires .

6.7powerstroke

One ton SRW is all you need. You would have to have the trailer loaded to the max to begin to approach the GCWR of the truck and trailer. Depending on where you live, a dually can be a PITA for driving in the snow. Also, we didn't want the issues of having to park it, as we use it as a daily driver. You may have to stick with the Ford or GM products as they have a much higher GVWR than the Dodge products. Is a dually going to tow better and be safer? Sure. Is it a must? No way. A newer SRW will tow that set-up perfectly fine and legally. WAY too much trailer for a 3/4 ton, you will be close to a ton overloaded and that is a seriously bad idea. Good luck!

lwmcguir

Many of you might have noticed that on the hi way more and more semis and semi tractors are going to single wheels. Buy the one ton SRW with enough tire/wheel option to make you legal. I have found our F350 2011 is just as stable as our DRW trucks staying withing the trucks ratings. SRW one ton definitely will get the job done safely.

Last edited:

caissiel

2 of my friends here in the campground have duellies that they just can't wait to be able to trade to SRW when comes time. They had SRWs and regret the change.
The stability is a factor of proper choice of springs. More rough ride gives better stability and softer springs do give less stability. The location of the springs are the dominent factor of stability. I found that one main ply was not stabile enough so I added one more to protect it and the SRW is very comfortable.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I completely agree.

X2...Back in '07 they didn't make a production 3500 that, we felt could safely handle our 3600RL. We fulltime and our 3600 is at it's limits. We would be over on our RGAWR, and probably the GCWR of any of the Big 3 1tons...so we bought our beloved C4500 Kodiak. Believe it or not, although well within every other rating, including the RGAWR, we were almost 2,000 pounds over the GCWR of 26,000 pounds, but we were not prepared to go bigger than the Kodiak, and lived with it. Did it handle the rig...you bet, and then some. However, it is not an enjoyable every day driver.

Last week, after much research we replaced the Kodiak with a new 2011 Chevy 3500 HD (see sig.)...for the first time we are well within ALL of our ratings, including the GCWR by more the 3,000 pounds, GAWR by more than 1,000 pounds and the GVWR by more than 1,500 pounds...hard to believe this beauty can actually safely handle even more than the Kodiak, but it does and in style!!

We checked out a SRW 3500, but we would have been right at our limits, with no margin...decided on the DRW, and could not be happier with the truck nor the ride....

funntheson

I don't know what the weight laws are in KS, but in California you would be sited for using a 3/4tn to pull a 16K trailer. Blunt and to the point you need a 1tn duelly. It's safer, more stabile and legal. JMHO

With all due respect, what is the basis for this statement? I did a survey a while back, and nobody had been pulled over for such a thing. I do agree that a one ton is a better choice, but I am not sure about the necessity of a dually.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
No more TV posts for me. They all end up the same way. Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge. :)