Tow vehicles

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jodi, I know you did a poll, but it's a California state law. In fact, if your trailer gross weight is over 10K, you need to get an adendum to your class C license (a law). As a matter of fact we had a Socal member get a ticket for not having the adendum. As far as the weight aspect. If your TV and 5er have a GCVW rating higher that what is posted on the door of your TV....you will get a ticket. On your BH, there is a sticker on the left side up front that states what the gross weight of the trailer is. Thats what the chippies look at...they don't care if the trailer is empty at the time. Thats what they go by PERIOD. You should take a ride down to Glamis sometime and see whats happens their, 3/4tn's pulling 19K toyhaulers. The Chippies there will make you drop the trailer right then and there. You get a ticket and have to pay someone to come get your trailer.

Jodi to answer your question about needing a Duelly..Maybe a duelly is over kill. But a duelly should have a higher weight rating that a SRW, but you would need one to be legal if your trailer weighed it at 18 or 19k. The reason I know this is because my neighbor is Chippie. Welcome to California.

Last edited:

chief190

I have several comments reguarding some peoples comments on this thread. first a single rear wheel one ton will be very close to rear axle gvw I have a f-350 01 with a rear axle weight rating of 6830 as this is the max for the rear tires at max inflation. we weighed truck trailer and rear axle is 6770 at caltrans weight scales. this is to close for comfor for me i will be going to one size bigger tires that will increase tire rating to 7500 lbs. and yes this will increase my rear axle weight rating as the axle bearing etc are no different with single or dual rear axles. please don't question that as I am a Ford senior master tech with 30 years expierence. When this truck is replaced it will be with a dually. The jury is still out on the 6.7l and before you ask anybody who has a 6.0 or 6.4 better have a good extended warranty because you will need it. I consider them job security as it is only a matter of time before they will leave you stranded and make someone like me a lot of money. by the way we are towing a 11 3585rl. And for the license issue you are only partly correct as a holder of a commercial license and driver of code 3 fire trucks for 20 the 10,000 pound limit on towing with a class c is only for tag trailers. fifthwheel towing is 15,000 pounds with a class c with out any additions if it is a house trailer. as most of the bighorns are 16,000 gvw you do need a non commerical class a. And don't bother looking for the gcwr on any door label as it is not on there only gvwr.

rick_debbie_gallant

seems like this thread has been done to death over and over and over and over and over

Yes it has. However we are always getting new 5er owners and new members so here we go with my two cents:

1. 1st 5er was 27 foot, SOB. We pulled it with a 2006 Dodge Megacab 1500 Hemi, short bed with a 14,000 Pull Rite Superslide. It all worked out great for us. No problems.

2. Our 2nd 5er is a 2010 Big Horn 3670. We traded in the Megacab 1500 for a 2009 2500 Dodge short bed with the 6.7L cummins. Added air bags with remote inflate. This combination worked great also. Plenty of power, stability etc. we Used the 14,000 Pullrite from Michigan, all the way to Texas and back. When we returned I picked up a 18,000 lb Pull rite Superslide. The 14000 pullrite was just a little light.

3. We still have the Big Horn 3670 and "LOVE IT". However last summer we traded in the RED 2009, 2500 Dodge for a BLACK 2008, 3500 long bed with DRW. The red truck (we called it "BIG RED") WAS just a little too pretty looking. The 3500 (we call it "BIG BRO") came with a B&W hitch. Even though BIG RED had the same running gear, engine, 4wd etc as BIG BRO, the extra set of rubber on the drive axle gives my wife a little more confidence when she is driving.

So I guess it is a toss up. I towed the 3670 (Lil' Gypsy) with both a 2500 SRW and a 3500 DRW and both worked out just great. Again just my 2 cents (oops I mean 4 cents, inflation ya know.

BTW I still have both the 14,000 PullRite and the 18,000 Pulrite and they are taking up room in the barn. INTERESTED.