Tow with short bed - still not a believer

Uncle Rog

Howdy, if you need to use a slider with a BH you are already in deep "guacamole", and if you hit your cab without using the slider that will be the least of your worries!
I am just like several others, bought the slider any way, I would need to get out the instructions to use the feature, if I can find them..............................

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I have a 3400RL with a 05 Dodge Quad cab Short box and to back in my drive way it is no problem. This morning at Terre Haute IN I went to get on the west bound ramp of I 70 and it had been washed out. I had to back down the ramp and into a tight intersection. The turn was very short but I did not hit the cab. I don't think you should have a problem.
Good Luck
Wayne

fmurray3

I was a skeptic also but purchased a 2008 Cyclone 3210 to pull with my 2008 F350 shortbed. I was already sold on the Cyclone as my choice toyhauler but the turning radius of the heartland was the deciding factor. I have owned the Cyclone a year now and have put 6000 miles on it and have been in a few tight spots but have never needed a slider. I am now a believer.

Rick & Tina
2008 Ford F350 SB SRW
2008 Cyclone 3210
07 HD Ultra
06 HD Fat Boy

CGibson

We actually did use ours this past week, but this is the first time. We had a very tight spot to get into and slid it back. Once we moved the turn point further back, we were able to get in with no problem. It was nice to have in this situation because there were tree stumps on the other side that might have punctured the tires of the truck.

nhunter

Well today I hit the back of my cab with the trailer. Had it turned about 88 -90+ degrees and heard a terrible crunch. No major damage, a small scuff on the front cap and a 8" dent in the cab about 1.5" from rear window and a whole lot of wounded pride. Apparently you still need to pay attention when backing up:eek:. Pretty suprised (and thrilled) that the fiberglass cap didn't break and the truck dented.

Dmaxcc6spd

When going forward, is it even possible to get the trailer at more than 88 degrees to the truck? It would seem that when going forward it would be impossible to smash the trailer into the cab.

Can anyone confirm this?

flamingknitter

When I took my driving lesson, the instructor had me jack knife my rig. It was almost perpendicular to the truck with was kind of cool cause I could easily see everything on the driver's side of the rig. We were performing a U-turn and wasn't hard to do at all. Wish I had taken a picture but I think that pmmjarret has already posted one on this thread. I have an Augusta and a 1 ton Chevy dually.

The only bad thing about this experience was that I scuffed the plastic molding at the top of driver's side of the bed. There was an electrical box located below the level of the flat plate at the bottom of the trailer side of the hitch. I had them move it up and no more rubbing.

Marybeth

Uncle Rog

Hey, if it makes you feel better, buy the slider hitch. No matter what you get, if you are not careful, you can have an accident, as our esteemed colleague nhunter can attest to. I have yet to find a situation that required me to use the slide feature. I also have yet to be confronted with the dreaded 88 degree + turn! I have to grin at the use of "impossible" in the context of RV / 5'er situations...................

rob hutch

:):)I don,t have a Big Country either but do have a 3200 Sundance bhs that sometime I use my 2003 GMC 1500 quad steer 5.3 liter short bed reese 16k slider never hae had to use the slider position yet, but on long trips usually out of fla I tow with a 2008 ford 450 twin turbo dually big difference in power but no complaints fron th short bed

Big G

Big G
I have a '06 F250 short bed SRW, with a Pullrite 18000, no slide. I have a hard 90 to get backed in my drive. No problem with the Razor 3212.
Good Luck, Big G