Towing and shocks...

NYSUPstater

I have the FX4 Rancho shocks w/ 32k on them and so far so good. However, in place of air bags, I have the lower Stable loads as truck didn't come w/ camper pkg. and have to say truck rides great. Yes it comes down onto top aux springs, but sits level and really haven't noticed much body roll (esp being a SRW). When it comes time for shock replacement will go w/ the Bilsteins as others have recommended.

alexb2000

I wanted to update this thread for a little closure. I just towed from Taos, NM to Hill City, SD and back approx. 1350 miles going over La Veta pass twice just like I did when I started the thread.

In my case it was a world of difference, MUCH improved especially in corners and on rougher roads.

As to why my original shocks were so far gone, who knows.

Anyway, I've spent $300 for a lot less, like that crappy Mt. Rushmore KOA, but I digress.;)

DocMartin

So just did the first tow with the new Road Warrior 427 and the truck towed it well. The only thin I noticed is that it did squat the truck about 4-5 inches or so ( I need to measure the exact). The truck is not sagging by no means. It is sitting level, BUT... It is sitting on the overload springs.You can tell by the way she is riding on the highway. The ride in the rear is quite a bit more firm. The kids even mentioned it.

So, Firestone Ride Rite kit ordered with the wireless compressor. I had the same setup on my 2500 back when I towed a 12K trailer. This baby is 17K unloaded. LOL. I also pulled the trigger on some Bilstein 5100s. Might as well for the money. I figure we are keeping the new camper and truck for a while so might as well get it equipped right.

Next trip at the end of Sept will be the chance to compare the ride quality, ect.

alexb2000

So just did the first tow with the new Road Warrior 427 and the truck towed it well. The only thin I noticed is that it did squat the truck about 4-5 inches or so ( I need to measure the exact). The truck is not sagging by no means. It is sitting level, BUT... It is sitting on the overload springs.You can tell by the way she is riding on the highway. The ride in the rear is quite a bit more firm. The kids even mentioned it.

So, Firestone Ride Rite kit ordered with the wireless compressor. I had the same setup on my 2500 back when I towed a 12K trailer. This baby is 17K unloaded. LOL. I also pulled the trigger on some Bilstein 5100s. Might as well for the money. I figure we are keeping the new camper and truck for a while so might as well get it equipped right.

Next trip at the end of Sept will be the chance to compare the ride quality, ect.

Good deal, let us know what you think when you get all that installed.

DocMartin

I got the Firestone bags installed along with the Riderite wireless compressor this past Friday. Also went ahead and put in Bilstein 5100s. The first tow with the new toys is this weekend. So far the ride is improved over stock. Will give feedback come next week.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_7404.JPGIMG_7405.JPG

Last edited:

DocMartin

First tow complete. Better ride hands down. It's not sitting on the overload springs anymore. I brought the rear up 2-3 inches. Took about 60psi in the bags. I was surprised but it's a heavy pin. Truck rode great and the trailer is still very level. IMG_7429.jpg
IMG_7433.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexb2000

First tow complete. Better ride hands down. It's not sitting on the overload springs anymore. I brought the rear up 2-3 inches. Took about 60psi in the bags. I was surprised but it's a heavy pin. Truck rode great and the trailer is still very level. View attachment 54646
View attachment 54647

Man that looks perfect. I hate when they sag. You must have some pin weight to sag a dually. Thanks for the report.

DocMartin

Man that looks perfect. I hate when they sag. You must have some pin weight to sag a dually. Thanks for the report.

I haven't scaled her yet but the pin with it loaded up is about 4k. It didn't sag but was on the overload leafs which gave us a rough ride. This brought the smooth ride back. Here is a post pic with the unloaded RV.

Before:
IMG_7123.jpg

After:
IMG_7431.jpg