Towing behind a fifth wheel

Fordfxr

Looking at buying a Cyclone 3800. Was wondering if it's safe to pull a small trailer behind this unit. Have to get 2 RZRs everywhere we go so one can go inside but will
need to drag one behind.

jimtoo

Hi Fordfxr,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Some folks do pull another trailer, but you need a really good hitch made and welded to the frame, which will void your warranty. Some states it is OK, some states not OK. This has been discussed many times. I am sure you will get lots of opinions.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club when you get your new Cyclone. Then join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Somethings you need to check. What would be the over all wheel base? Is double towing legal in your state when using a P/U truck as the TV. Does the 2nd trailer need to have brakes?

Bob&Patty

YEP, you would have to put all 3 together and measure from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear most axle. The axle placement in the CY would be a non-starter. With a L/B Chevy and a 34' BH, we are about 54'.

Fordfxr

I called the dept of public safety here in Oklahoma. They told me I could be up to 80 feet. That's handled. I was really asking if there is anyone out there that has there trailer set up to tow behind the fifth wheel and if they had any ideas

avvidclif

YEP, you would have to put all 3 together and measure from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear most axle. The axle placement in the CY would be a non-starter. With a L/B Chevy and a 34' BH, we are about 54'.

Axle to axle and overall length are 2 different measurements. Most specify overall which is nose to tail.

Bob&Patty

Axle to axle is the 65'. Over all is another thing as stated. In the "trucking world" you might need an over size permit to go 80' over all. This all depends on the states and DOT.

macjj

As stated, length and authority varies state to state. My experience some states do not care where you have it registered, but only if is legal in there state. CA is one. One key is a hinged connection on the "tow behind trailer". I went the route for a "Tote". Many models available. Brakes and other requirements also vary state to state. Before purchasing, I checked with local authorities including the CHP - as the enforce the ambiguous DMV statues. But I was still stopped, and the checked the length, and attempted to cite me for "triples", then "doubles", but settled on speeding. Last trip I covered 13 states, only CA raised an eyebrow. Suggestion is check first, ask questions, then decide. I liked the Idaho Tote, for technology and safety, however the cost is highest. That is not to say the other "Tote" technologies are inadequate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avvidclif

In Texas.
Quote;
Texas has established size and weight limits for vehicles and loads moving with or without an oversize and/or overweight permit on Texas roadways and bridges.

• Width is measured from the outside points of the widest extremities, excluding safety devices.
  • Height is measured from the roadbed to the highest point of the load.
  • Length is measured from the foremost point of the vehicle or load, whichever extends further, to the rearmost point of the vehicle or load, whichever extends further.

Further down;

Two- or Three-Vehicle combination other than truck-tractor & semitrailer[SUP]1[/SUP] 65 feet

[SUP]1[/SUP]Length limit may not be increased with a permit. Unquote

http://www.txdmv.gov/motor-carriers/oversize-overweight-permits/texas-size-weight-limits for reference.

avvidclif

Axle to axle is the 65'. Over all is another thing as stated. In the "trucking world" you might need an over size permit to go 80' over all. This all depends on the states and DOT.

All of the California laws I can find define "Overall Length" as front to back not axle to axle.