Towing bighorn 3570 2015 F350 6.5 box

Bohemian

I did the same type of research you are doing....some people say you'll be ok...others say you wont. In the end, I decided to spend a little extra on the Reese Airborne Sidewinder pin box replacement. It moves the pivot point back 22" to the point where the pin box attaches to the trailer. I LOVE this setup. You can get either the Reese Airborne Sidewinder (with airbag to help remove chucking) or the Reese Sidewinder (no airbag).

As an added bonus, you recover a lot of the bed space as the hitch is not moving (you'll see what I mean in the video below)

Here is a 7 min video that does a good job of explaining all the value.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkL0CPmqx6U

Lipper does not warranty it's frames with gooseneck hitches because the additional torque stress in the frames. The extended distance kingpin mounts also increase torque stress. Does Lippert warranty the frames with theses kingpins, like the Sidewinder?

jnbhobe

The side winder is not a goose neck hitch, it works similar to a super glide hitch but it is the pinbox that turns.

Bohemian

The side winder is not a goose neck hitch, it works similar to a super glide hitch but it is the pinbox that turns.

I never said it was a gooseneck. Of course it is not. Also, no it does not work like a glide hitch. It extends the lever arm of the king pin hitch adding more torque stress to the frame. a glider hitch does not do that. Thus the question.

jnbhobe

It looks to me like the side winder doesn't change the length of the pin box just the pivot point, but I'm no engineer.

Bones

The reese Sidewinder should create the same stress points as a normal pin box because you are not changing the dynamics of a normal pin box. You are just forcing the pivot point back further like the old fifth wheel trailers when they needed an 8 foot bed. Just another point with the sidewinder is you still have the option to lock the pin box to act as a normal pin box as well with grade 8 bolts 3/4 inch dia. You just need to remove the wedge before you lock the pin box

Bohemian

The reese Sidewinder should create the same stress points as a normal pin box because you are not changing the dynamics of a normal pin box. You are just forcing the pivot point back further like the old fifth wheel trailers when they needed an 8 foot bed. Just another point with the sidewinder is you still have the option to lock the pin box to act as a normal pin box as well with grade 8 bolts 3/4 inch dia. You just need to remove the wedge before you lock the pin box

It looks like it has the same lever arm, so that's good. But, rotating in a different place definitely changes the stress points. It must requires a capture point to prevent turning at the usual point. Whereas before one ncould only lever the frame front to back, now one can lever the frame at any angle all the way up to side to side. That is clearly stress unplanned for by any frame manufacturer.

Geodude

My neighbour and I installed a Sidewinder on his shortbox F-150. Pretty slick setup, and he finds it tows well (I've been on trips with him and it seems very good). That said, one thing to keep in mind is that with the pivot point moving aft, you're moving the pivot point from over the truck's axle to just inside the tailgate. That means you're losing some of the 5th wheel towing experience but not quite ending up with the bumper pull experience.

schrod

I completely agree. I also am not an engineer but just looking at the 22 inch rear pivot means it does establish more stress using the fulcrum effect. Whereas on a solid pinbox it is rigid and exerts all the downforce onto the 5th wheel receiver. I cannot believe it transfers weight to the front wheels of the tv nearly as well. JMHO

Wmnmy

I have the 25k husky slider hitch 6.5 box f-350 I have never used slider with no problems turning backing or parking three heartland RVs you won't have any problems.....