Towing in the Heat

Petenater

:rolleyes::cool: My wife and I are heading back to Washington state from Hemet CA. The temps are running 90 - 100 degs in the part of the US and I was curious if others lower tire pressure do to the heat and expansion. I am running 225/75R15s 3Ax model 3912 with a 65 lbs cold requirement on the tires. I was told to lower them 5-8 lbs, but the book says not to...

'Lil Guy'

You might wait for a more knowledgeable person to chime in but my opinion is to run at recommended tire pressure. Less air, bigger footprint. Bigger footprint would equal more heat. We are in the Houston area and have towed in 100 degree temps without a problem. Using a TPMS, we can monitor our temps along the way. Expect an increase in heat and air pressure while underway. Also, less aair would decrease your tire payload. Just my two cents.

Mrsfish

I an NO expert, but I can only tell you we never adjust the air in our tires and we occasionally run in the heat - LOL

pegmikef

I have always been told and have read that you should tow with the air at the PSI specified for the tire. Except for BlowMax (not real tires) I have never had any problems in sometimes extreme temperatures (e.g., Texas to Colorado mountains to Missouri and back to Texas in late summer).

jam20ster

I agree with the other two responses. I tow in the Houston Texas heat and never adjust air pressure. As mentioned earlier lower pressure would increase footprint which would in return increase the heat load on tire. I would just stay at the recommended psi and not worry about it.

danemayer

Generally you want to inflate the tires to the max cold pressure stated on the sidewall of the tire. The tire is designed to accommodate the increase that comes as the sun heats things up. Here's a link to Roger Marble's website and an explanation of cold inflation pressure. It may be more technical than you want, but scroll down to the conclusions with special attention to #4.
4. If you lower the CIP you will generate more heat and this will hurt the rubber and eventually weaken it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
High speed will increase heat in tires. Stay at 60-62 MPH and you should be OK. I am assuming these are your TV tires.

IronJ

No...run them at recommened cold psi...they are designed and engineerd for the heat and increased pressure...and don't speed....st tires are only rated for 65mph....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Petenater

I really appreciate the help and tips... We will be running at recommended Cold PSI and stay under 65mph..

Thanks All

Lynn1130

I tow in Arizona and that is probably the best test for tires of any place in the country. I inflate to the recommended pressure (80) for the tires when towing and considering that we never have a cold day to inflate, the tires are probably above what is recommended by some small amount. Inflating below recommended pressure is, in MHO asking for problems down the road (pun intended).