towing tips needed

lwmcguir

Let me clear that up. A lot of TV are to light on the rear suspension resulting in the headlights hitting the on coming traffic in the eyes. Very dangerous to say the least. With the Air Bags you can level the TV so the lights shine on the road.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
This is all you need for an air compressor system. It's simple, you can control it on the fly inside the cab, you learn what pressures work best with a simple gauge, it's easy to install and affordable. This compressor can be mounted on the frame of the truck.

It's what I have been running on my Dodge 3500 for 2 years as well as Air Lift 5000 bags and it has performed flawlessly in extreme desert heat and deep sub 0 temps of the arctic. In fact the only problem I ever had was my own fault when it was -40F on a trip to Yellowknife, NWT. I was gently heating a frozen fuel line fittiing to my aux tank and got the torch too close to a plastic air line and melted a hole in it which of couse immediatle dumped the air out of the bags. I've put over 100,000 miles on this system

You don't need all that hooky pooky wireless electronc stuff waiting to break when you look at it wrong, you don't need a big high duty cycle overpiced compressor or even a tank to work with these air bags. Once these bags are aired up to the pressure you need, the compressor is off. It's not like a big truck which the compressor needs to cycle to maintain tank pressure.

You could get away with simply installing a schrader valve and using a hose at the gas station and a tire pressure gauge if you needed too.

Bighurt

Just food for thought.

I have the same trailer and tow with my long box F350. I dove 40' flat for the military a few years back. Tail swing on the 5'er is better, the flat had its tandems shoved forward like a 25' low bow with a long beaver tail, horrible swing. However the long box crew cab setup helps it has such a wide turn, even at its tightest the rear swing isn't more than 2'. Although that's an estimate... I suppose its all a matter of experience, the 10 ton could turn on a dime and rotate the the tandems like they were on a pivot (bad for tires). So I suppose I'm used to tail swing and avoid it.

With your experience you'll be fine.

debh

once again, thanks for the advice.

think id feel better with a compressor on board though. dont cherish the thought of crawling around on the ground at fuel stops to air the bags up if needed. yuck!! lol. but sounds like i wont need to go the trouble of mounting the gauge and controls on the dash either. can keep it under the rear seat out of sight.

i guess since the compressor doesnt cycle and the bags dont seem to lose pressure am i assuming correctly then that there is no moisture build up in the lines that need to be drains like with airbrakes?

sorry for all these dumb questions. lol, i can handle my big truck and even fix it myself (if its not major) but this is all sooooo different!

debh

bighurt, my most worrisome time is making a L turn. you know, when cars will try to sneek past you on a narrow shoulder. you get a chance to go but see a car back there...........

to compensate, i either play RUDE driver (at least thats what the cars think) and block that narrow shoulder or will be sure to pull far enough into the intersection (which i would have to do anyway) that they now have the room within the intersection to move over a bit.

now........... if only i would get it thru my head that i DONT need to take up an entire intersection when driving my PRIUS!! lol. as it is, im so used to having 48 ft of trailer behing me that i would usually swing way wide with my former 27 ft camper.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
once again, thanks for the advice.

think id feel better with a compressor on board though. dont cherish the thought of crawling around on the ground at fuel stops to air the bags up if needed. yuck!! lol. but sounds like i wont need to go the trouble of mounting the gauge and controls on the dash either. can keep it under the rear seat out of sight.

i guess since the compressor doesnt cycle and the bags dont seem to lose pressure am i assuming correctly then that there is no moisture build up in the lines that need to be drains like with airbrakes?

sorry for all these dumb questions. lol, i can handle my big truck and even fix it myself (if its not major) but this is all sooooo different!

NO DUMB Questions here!!! Just a bunch of Schmart @$$ez. We were all in your shoes once, fire away. The dumbest question you have is the one you don't ask..... And if things go wrong then,,,,,,,, you'll feel like an idiot.

No moisture drains on this air system.

Don't need to mount the gauge on the dash but I do like mine under the dash in an unused cubby hole on the console. The black rocker momentary switch (top right corner of gauge panel) turns the compressor on only when you are holding it down. And the silver push button switch (bottom right corner of gauge panel) is the air dump..... Only dumps while you are pushing the button.

Now, depending on the air bag system you use, many require to keep a minimum of 10 psi in the bags to keep them seated like mine do. This compressor system does have an adjustable low air pressure switch that will turn the compressor on to bring the pressure up to maintain that minimum if you dump too much, the only time mine ever kicked on was when I melted that air line I mentioned in the previous post. Then I had to pull the fuse to shut the durned thing off.

It's pretty much an idiot proof system....... This works well for me:D :angel:

IMG00486-20100607-1009.jpg

Now, here are a few other items you may want to consider, to outfit the truck..... Stick around, we can help you easily spend money,

Skirt or full length flap to stop rock chips in the RV
IMG00173.jpg

A welded on teflon lube plate for the fifth wheel.
IMG00184.jpg

Auxiliary fuel tank and/ or tool box
IMG00079.jpg

In bed RV plug..... eliminates extension cord.
IMG00083.jpg

A better place to hook the breakaway cable than just looping it on the fifth wheel handel like most do...... That's a No No.
IMG00086.jpg

Last but not least, you need to get a Valley industries "Monster Ball" That thing is priceless, worth every penny.
IMG00174.jpg

debh

picked up my truck today with new 5er hitch, air bags and compressor. they forgot to do the in bed plug. need to return monday to get that put in then we pick up the new sundance on tues!! cant wait!

mike, followed alot of your advice. ok, so i had to cut back. you really did want to run me into the poor house didnt you? lmao. so SOME of it got done.

my next venture will be for new tires............ still doing the research on that.

now, just gotta learn how to hook up without damaging my tailgate..............

cant i just hook up to my work truck????