Towmax Blowouts??? Thinking about a light truck tire? Comments

We have a 2013 Cyclone. Tires have about 5,500 miles on them. On the way to vacation one blow out back passenger(65mph). On driver side middle tire was blown up so big it was about to pop. Got 2 more Towmax cause that's what they had at 8pm at night. On the way home we had another blowout on passenger side front (40mph). We found a place on Saturday at 11:47 will to stay till we got there again had to take what we could get ( made in China) we went ahead and changed the other 3. ENOUGH damage was done. When we brought the three home that had not blowed and this morning looking at them another one would have blown probably before we reached home. We keep the tires covered and on a board when stored at home under a shed. We had people tell us at the campground and someone pulling a camper that stopped to help that they ran a light truck tire Michelin 10 ply. Any thoughts on the light truck tire? Damage is getting expensive!! We had another 5th wheel that had light truck tires on it when we bought it a jayco designer 32rlts the tires were dry rotting after a while so.We put new trailer tires on it and had 2 blow out 1 trip. Conflicted as what to do. Cyclone weighs what 18,000lbs. Thanks in advance

danemayer

Hi Rowdyfestas,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry about your tire experience but I'm sure other owners will chime in with their recommendations for replacements.

z06

I use LT tires rated for the load they are carrying. I would not use trailer tires on a wheelbarrow.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
GY G614's are a 14ply "G" rated tire. Look at Sailun "G" rated tires and 14ply...good tire and cheaper than GY's. These are the ONLY ones I would use on a Cyclone.

oscar

Read around on this forum.... A plethora of information. Watch the Sailuns, they are larger than the Blowmaxes.

After I did all my research I had two choices:

G614's on the existing Sendel wheels or new 17.5" wheels with an H rated tire on it. I went with the Goodyears.

An LT tire is a "light truck" tire. It is NOT, repeat NOT built to withstand the sidewall loads that trailer tires are subjected to.

Again, an ST(R) tire, at least 14 ply (G rated).....

MTPockets

Read around on this forum.... A plethora of information. Watch the Sailuns, they are larger than the Blowmaxes.

G614's on the existing Sendel wheels or new 17.5" wheels with an H rated tire on it. I went with the Goodyears.

An LT tire is a "light truck" tire. It is NOT, repeat NOT built to withstand the sidewall loads that trailer tires are subjected to.

. Not sure I understand the comment that LT tires are not built to take side load pressures as great as ST tires.. I would need to see some sort of technical explanation for that. LT tires on my truck see thousands of turns twists on winding roads curbs, rocks, etc. much more than a trailer would see. I see the difference with double axles and the twisting while tight maneuvering, but it doesn't make sense the LT tire would be less tough, especially in light of all the user evidence of LT tires on trailers compared to the ST problems.

Lynn1130

After the Blowmax went and took part of the trailer with it I went straight to the nearest Discount Tire and talked with the manager who recommended LT tires. I have Cooper LTs and have been very happy with them.

z06

ST tires won't even stay together going straight down the road at 60 MPH. Look at all the failures reported here. How many tires blowing out on the TV's?
BTW my GY 614's are LT tires.

jnbhobe

That information sounds good except it's published by Carlisle who only makes smaller sized ST trailer tires.

justafordguy

I've had much better luck with an all position LT commercial truck tire. The sidewall is much stronger and most have all steel belts.

danemayer

BTW my GY 614's are LT tires.

Goodyear G614 tires are designed to meet the requirements of trailer tires, and are sold as trailer tires, but are certified to the higher testing standard of Light Truck (LT). Why does Goodyear do this? I've never heard an explanation.

Without getting into a debate about whether LT tires are a good choice for trailer use, I would just say that it's unlikely that most LT tires are specifically designed for trailer use. Nevertheless, some people use them and find them to be an excellent choice.

As soon as I purchased my Bighorn 3010 I dropped the Towmax tires and put a set of Firestone Transforce Light Truck tires. I am completely happy with them and have not had any problems. I will never go back to a ST tire