Towmax by Power King – Facts

scottyb

I've followed the thought processes about the RV owners who are to blame for tire failures. While this may be true in cases, to use this as a continuing rationale for TowMax tire blow-outs & failures insults the intelligence of careful, thoughtful owners.

You're not the problem, these tires are no matter what others may espouse as truth

+1

To say that because you clipped a curb or hit a pothole, and therefore you are to blame is just ludicrous. Every tire on the market has to endure these types of road hazards. Not to say that you shouldn't strive not to do so, but it is going to happen on occasion. I know I have clipped a curb a couple times with my Ribs, when a car cut me off part way through my turn. I hated it and I remember exactly where I was both times it happened. So far they have not bubbled or blown. I assume that I am not alone here, but I do meticulously check tire pressure, use a TPMS, and perform visual inspections at every stop and have the tires rotated and balanced regularly.

tireman9

It sure would help with knowing the "facts" if there were numerous complaints on file with NHTSA. No complaints make it hard to make a judgment based on facts and data rather than emotion.

I know that all tires used on multi axle trailers see internal structural forces much higher (24%) than structural loads on single axle trailers or motorhomes.
I have seen the data showing that 57% of TT owners have one or more tires overloaded
I have suggested that multi axle applications should use the "dual" application load from the tables and also allow at least 10% safety margin for load.
I have shown why multi axle trailers should always use the tire max inflation
I know that over 10% of tire gauges in common usage are off by 5 psi or more.
I know that only a small % of RV owners have TPMS on all their tires
I am also just as confident that both owners and RV companies shop for tires with low price being the #1 priority which pushes the low price tire companies to cut corners and not follow established Quality Control procedures if they can get away with it by not being held accountable by Regulatory agencies such as NHTSA

Finally I know that NHTSA does not read RV forums but does review complaints but with shrinking budgets (xxx) they have to prioritize and focus on the most important and largest issues which means deaths and injuries and lacking those they need volumes of properly completed complaints on file.

Have you refused to buy an RV because the tires don't have a safety margin(15% or so) that most standard vehicles do?
Have you confirmed you are not part of the 57% of owners with overloaded tires?
Have you installed a TPMS?
Do you always run at least 5 mph below the speed rating of your tires?
Have you filed a complete complaint with NHTSA for each and every tire failure?

Yes there are probably bad tires out there but this is the "free market" at work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grey Ghost

I'm sure we could all go on and on about tire problems we have experienced over the years, I know I could. All I know is that Power King Tow Max tires are WORTHLESS and someone should yell it from the roof tops. RV manufactures should be told that if they continue to put these worthless tires on their products we are not going to purchase them, maybe then they would get the idea. I've blown Tow Max and Carlisle tires right and left, I've replaced them with Michelins and have had no more problems. I'm no tire expert, however I do believe in trial and error methods and I've tried and failed and tried and succeeded. I check my tires, run with TMPS and try not to run over things, I don't enjoy sitting along side the road with a blown out tire, it sucks! Those of you that defend the Chinese made tires, continue to run with them, good luck. I will not try to tell you how bad they are, that is your problem, not mine. However, when anyone asks me I will try to explain the benefits I've learned from trial and error methods I've tried over the years. Enjoy, have lots of fun and be safe out there. :cool:

kowAlski631

There is a difference between emotional responses & reports of fact. We reported what happened to us as have others. Your choice to keep China bombs on or to change them out.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It would be interesting to see how they stack up to name brand tires, running under the same conditions. I know there are a ton of people here that are running on tires other than Towmax and I'm not hearing many reports on them. Anybody up for starting a Pole? I'm not sure I know how or if I can.

I ran G614's for 5 years without issue. At the end of the 5th year I had 1 throw the tread and 11 miles later, a blowout on the same side. The tire that blew looked as if i had hit a large deep pothole stressing the case or the tire. Not wanting to spend close to $1200 on another set of Goodyears, I put on some Hercules trailer tires in a load range "F". So far so good...

whp4262

My brother runs Michelin tires and likes them. I have not had the same luck and run Goodyear tires. Many years ago I was a Mechanic for a front line ambulance unit running Michelin tires. We had several blowouts and switched the ambulances to Goodyear and our tire problems stopped. I posted a chart on the forum a while back that could be used to tell what factory made your tires. Maxxis tires are made in China and so are many other name brand tires. The problem might not be that the tires are made in China but the plant in China that's making the tires. Look at the tire DOT code and don't by tires made at that plant. Those that have had blowouts, post what plant they were made at. Let's do more than complain, let's target the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

Good post-tires. I don't trust ST tires on a heavy 5ver. Under 10K might work.

kowAlski631

We bought 5 Goodyears G614 at Thanksgiving. Have gone around 3k since then. No problems & anxiety level way down.

Paul & Martha

tireman9

My brother runs Michelin tires and likes them. I have not had the same luck and run Goodyear tires. Many years ago I was a Mechanic for a front line ambulance unit running Michelin tires. We had several blowouts and switched the ambulances to Goodyear and our tire problems stopped. I posted a chart on the forum a while back that could be used to tell what factory made your tires. Maxxis tires are made in China and so are many other name brand tires. The problem might not be that the tires are made in China but the plant in China that's making the tires. Look at the tire DOT code and don't by tires made at that plant. Those that have had blowouts, post what plant they were made at. Let's do more than complain, let's target the source.

When a complaint is filed with NHTSA they ask for vehicle VIN which tells them woh and where the RV was assembled and who is responsible for the quality of the RV.
When posting a complaint about tires you need to provide the full DOT serial. If you don't provide that basic info there is zero chance of the information being used to start an investigation. When I review the complaints made on tires I am amazed at the inability of people to provide this most basic facts but they can go on and on about how the tire failure messed up their vacation plans.

The failure of more than a handful of RV owners to file complete and accurate complaints is a major reason for the poor quality of RV tires in the market. I think some manufacturers know that RV owners will not file complaints so NHTSA will not investigate and with no investigation there will be no action so the shoddy tire company gets off because as a group RV owners can't be bothered.

kowAlski631

When a complaint is filed with NHTSA they ask for vehicle VIN which tells them woh and where the RV was assembled and who is responsible for the quality of the RV.
When posting a complaint about tires you need to provide the full DOT serial. If you don't provide that basic info there is zero chance of the information being used to start an investigation. When I review the complaints made on tires I am amazed at the inability of people to provide this most basic facts but they can go on and on about how the tire failure messed up their vacation plans.

Or maybe there's not enough left of the tire or that the failed tire has been discarded. Dunno about everyone else, but we didn't keep the tires & didn't know until several months later what was required to file a report.

Martha

Paul & Martha

DW_Gray

Sometimes I feel like pulling a drill sergeant hat out of retirement and getting in the face of some who have difficulty comprehending the point of the OP. Roger (tireman9) is preaching it, yet the excuses linger on. Unfortunately, the excuses are not limited to this RV forum and the excuses will never accomplish anything productive.

Just to prove I was in the Army, here is an article about Pvt. Can’t.
bury-pvt-cant.jpg

caissiel

I will never have a report because I will never install ST tires on my unit.
Maybe over loaded LTs but never STs.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

caissiel

I don't even consider them for my service trailers because they are junk.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

tireman9

Or maybe there's not enough left of the tire or that the failed tire has been discarded. Dunno about everyone else, but we didn't keep the tires & didn't know until several months later what was required to file a report.

Martha

Paul & Martha

You are correct Martha. That's why I have advocated that everyone include the full DOT of each tire in the "Book of RV Info" so if they ever have a tire problem and the DOT serial is destroyed they will have the information needed to complete a complaint report.

RE keeping the tires. I understand that many RVs don't have space to store a tire but after reading a story in Motorhome mag about someone complaining that the tire company wanted the failed tire before they would issue a refund or compensation.

I have to wonder why people think that when the failed product and its serial number and some proof or purchase is required by every other company when requesting compensation or replacement, be it a toaster or refrigerator, that for some reason tire companies would be the only company to not ask for the failed product and S/N.

Now if you don't have space to store the tire then I would suggest that you need to contact the manufacturer at the number given in the warranty book and before you leave the tire service shop doing your changeover you confirm what they want. You can then decide if the potential for a refund or adjustment is worth the effort required.

I do have space for a spare tire in my RV. That was a requirement when I was shopping for a new RV. I also run a brand of tires that has thousands of stores & dealers around the USA so I am confident that I can always get to a store and would be able to process the paperwork needed to file a warranty claim as well as leave the tire at the store so a company engineer can inspect it or have the tire shipped back to the appropriate location.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
RE keeping the tires. I understand that many RVs don't have space to store a tire but after reading a story in Motorhome mag about someone complaining that the tire company wanted the failed tire before they would issue a refund or compensation.

I have to wonder why people think that when the failed product and its serial number and some proof or purchase is required by every other company when requesting compensation or replacement, be it a toaster or refrigerator, that for some reason tire companies would be the only company to not ask for the failed product and S/N.

I do have space for a spare tire in my RV. That was a requirement when I was shopping for a new RV. I also run a brand of tires that has thousands of stores & dealers around the USA so I am confident that I can always get to a store and would be able to process the paperwork needed to file a warranty claim as well as leave the tire at the store so a company engineer can inspect it or have the tire shipped back to the appropriate location.

Most of us pull our trailers with pick-up trucks . . .

Surely we all should have enough space to carry an extra tire or two without having to put them somewhere inside the RV.

DW_Gray

Most of us pull our trailers with pick-up trucks . . .

Surely we all should have enough space to carry an extra tire or two without having to put them somewhere inside the RV.

Copy that! I currently have in my truck bed the hitch, a second trailer spare, two bicycles, a couple of 2X8s, and four defective wheels/rims I'm keeping until the NHTSA investigation is completed.

DW_Gray

under 65?????????????????????????????????????????

Yep, that is correct for those towing with Special Trailer (ST) tires. ST tires are limited to 65 MPH. There are a couple of companies that are stating that by increasing the PSI on their ST tire, it is capable of higher speeds. I for one am not ready to jump on that bandwagon.

Added note: Increasing tire PSI beyond the maximum load rating molded on the sidewall DOES NOT increase its load rating.

Last edited: