TOWMAX Tire Failure

Ryanjb01

I had a blow out this past August. Just got on the NYS Thruway. Traffic underspeed due to heavy traffic(Friday at 5pm) on our way to camp for the weekend. Had blowout on the passenger side rear axel. Pulled over and found a shredded tire.

I quickly replaced with the spare tire and got back under way.

When I got home, I researched the TowMax tire. It made me sick. All this time I was towing on a ticking time bomb.

After many calls, the tire manufacturer agreed to reimburse me $500. I purchased 5 new Michelin LT rated tires. The same tires that are on my truck.

Bottom line. Get rid of them NOW!!!!!

scottyb

Are you using the stock rims?

Thanks
Jeff

Many of the stock rims are 110 PSI. You just have to look to see if it is stamped on your rims or call treadit to find out. Mine were rated for 110 PSI but I elected to go with 80 PSI LT tires since I have a 3 axle rig, and I am a big Michellin fan.

OhShoot

It's a shame we all are going to have to go out and buy new tires on a brand new 2014 heartland jest so we can be safe , what do you see wrong with this picture ,

Beemer

Does most everyone on here recommend the GY's and Michelins only, or there other brands out there people have had good service from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beemer

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm trying to decide between the Maxxis and Michelin XPS Ribs. About $700 difference between the sets.

donr827

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm trying to decide between the Maxxis and Michelin XPS Ribs. About $700 difference between the sets.

In my opinion I would go with the Ribs. More money but a very strong tire.
Don

Beemer

Well $2000 later and I have new Michelin Ribs on. I figure its insurance for piece of mind.

GOTTOYS

In the RV park I'm at there is a 2011 Greystone with over 30,000 miles on the original Tow Max tires...Maybe they work okay on the lighter rigs. I have XPS ribs on mine...Don

Grey Ghost

I have a 2011 GreyStone and NO the tow max tires didn't work well on mine. Blew two after only 5,000 miles! :-( Did a lot of damage to my unit also! I've since put four new Michelin M/S 2's on and now have piece of mind and no more blow outs! Love my Michelin's!!!!!:cool: I tried working with the Tow Max distributor and that was a nightmare. Of course the tire blow outs were all my fault, to much air, not enough air, over loaded or I must have ran over something, of course!!!!! I heard all the excuses. I cover my tires and run them up on plastic when not using the 5ver, check my air pressure before leaving and watch my tire monitoring system all the time while traveling. I don't like sitting along side of the road with blown out tires, I take pretty good care of my stuff and don't like being accused of being negligent by a tire company, especially since their tires are made in China. I love my Michelins :cool:

RollingWhiteThunder

Dave & Shelly
Last weekend stopped at rest area and noticed the right rear tire had big bulge on outside.Tire-1.jpg 2014 model 4018 Cyclone Toy Hauler with 3500 miles on tires. Lucky we caught it before it blew-out and did damage. We got extended warranties on tires & trailer for just this very thing. I have TPS on the tires and it was still at full pressure when we stopped. Bubble stayed inflated for several days before in went down even after it was removed from the rim. It was the rear from a set of triple axles so it wasn't road damage either, just poorly made tires. Watch them closely if your running these tires is all I have to say.

Hippy

How closely are you suppose to watch them? You got very lucky as I did w/3 separations less than 4,000 miles on a 6 month old Bighorn last year.

alex00

For those of you that switched to better tires, do you still run a TPMS? When you switched, did you replace all seven, including the spare? What's the going rate on craigslist to dump the old tires?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We get our TPMS after TowMax tire #1 issue was discovered. When tire #2 issue was discovered, we switched all 5 of ours to Maxxis. When Maxxis tire #1 got a screw in it, it was patched/plugged but moved to spare. When tire #2 of Maxxis tread separation was discovered (about 32k miles) we replaced all 5 again... They were getting near the tread wear indicator.

I watch the TPMS from the passenger seat. We drive 63-65. I have seen temps as high as 119, when ambient temps were around 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alex00

We get our TPMS after TowMax tire #1 issue was discovered. When tire #2 issue was discovered, we switched all 5 of ours to Maxxis. When Maxxis tire #1 got a screw in it, it was patched/plugged but moved to spare. When tire #2 of Maxxis tread separation was discovered (about 32k miles) we replaced all 5 again... They were getting near the tread wear indicator.

I watch the TPMS from the passenger seat. We drive 63-65. I have seen temps as high as 119, when ambient temps were around 100.

I keep wondering if the Maxxis would be the right choice for the heavy Cyclone, or if I should just pull the trigger on the Michelin Ribs. If the Maxxis is adequate at almost 400 lbs more per tire, is it worth double the price for the Ribs? Especially since most of the comments about the Maxxis are positive.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't tell you what to do. I wish my Maxxis had lasted longer. I didn't worry about them failing like the TowMax, but I did watch them carefully, kept speed down, aired properly, and still had a separation. But it was definitely near the end of life for the tires. All wore evenly and were nearing the wear indicator.

I sometimes wonder if an LT tire with the higher speed rating would hold up better over the "long haul". But I felt the lower weight rating of the Michelin Ribs and being classified a "summer" tire were not a good match for us. (We tow in winter weather sometimes).