TOWMAX Tire Failure

Hippy

When I replaced all my tires I thought about the spare. I chose not to replace it knowing that I would be spending top dollar for a better tire that would just be rotting underneath. I figure I would just need the spare to get me to the nearest repair or replacement tire shop. So I kept my original spare.
Thought about the TPMS. But as you've read in this thread from Dave ( Rollingwhitethunder) he has the TPMS system and it didn't fore warn him his tires had separated.
A tire that separates, eventually blows. It doesn't lose air. So I believe the TPMS would not work. If it loses air over time because of not checking your tires or a minor puncture where it loses air, I believe the system will work great. But as we've read and read throughout the numerous threads about the tow max tires, they have been blowouts because of separations.
Prior to my second career, I worked in the tire industry for 14 years. ( Uniroyal, Goodyear and Firestone) I've dealt and seen many bad tires in my time.
Now for selling your tires, American Tires would only give me $25.00 for the only new one I had left which was the spare.

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
Does most everyone on here recommend the GY's and Michelins only, or there other brands out there people have had good service from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ran 14000 miles on the Sailun S637 (G-rated LT) that came as original equipment on my 2011 BH 3585 and they still look prety good. I am likely to change for a new set of the same before our next extended trip.

wdk450

Thought about the TPMS. But as you've read in this thread from Dave ( Rollingwhitethunder) he has the TPMS system and it didn't fore warn him his tires had separated.
A tire that separates, eventually blows. It doesn't lose air. So I believe the TPMS would not work. If it loses air over time because of not checking your tires or a minor puncture where it loses air, I believe the system will work great. But as we've read and read throughout the numerous threads about the tow max tires, they have been blowouts because of separations.

Hippy:
Wouldn't a tire that separates have temperature rises? The good TPMS system alarm on either pressure loss or temperature rise. All I can relate is my experience in the summer of 2012 in Idaho when out of the blue the TPMS alarmed, and I stopped and found a trailer tire sidewall was getting shredded due to rubbing on a frame shock absorber support due to a drum bearing mount failure. The tire DID NOT BLOW before I stopped. I was warned in time.
No protective device is 100% fail safe. Whether they are worthwhile or not is your (or the government's) decision.

Gary521

I agree with wdk450. Before I got the TPMS, I had three tires blow on me at differrent times. When these tires went, I did not feel anything so was happily driving down the road. A short trip on only one tire per side will quickly take out the other.

I have Bridgestone 265 "Rib" tires (LT). Second Set.

Hippy

What I've learned that yes it can have temperature rise but not of significant to really warn you.
Tire shredding is one thing and separation is another. If a tire rubs against a fender, shock etc, temperatures will rise significantly. When a tire separates it becomes egg shape because the belts or cords separate in the tire structure causing a loss of the outer rubber to come apart. Then all you have left is the inner structure which becomes a ballon filled with air that blows because it has lost its protection, the outer core.
So the only warning signs we get of a separated tire is visual checking and catching it on time. For those not so lucky, it's after the fact, when the damage is done.

kowAlski631

Have to disagree slightly. TPMS warned us on tire #3 of elevated pressure (although it had been within total norms until the alarm) & gave us time to get roadside before the death of the tire. Another time, it warned us of pressure rise when we'd adjusted pressure before heading out that morning

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

Hippy

Just like to add that I do feel TPMS is good safety feature to have.
There are instances where tires come apart and we tend to call them blow outs.
When a tire has lost or loses air significantly while on the road, the rim tends to pinch the side wall creating heat eventually tears into the side wall then the tire quickly comes apart on the road or as your trying to pull over.
It's easy to spot. You'll have a wheel outline all around the side wall either inside, out or both.

kowAlski631

To us a blow-out is when the tire explodes with force, sounding like a shotgun blast & causing damage to the trailer. Yep, been there, heard that x2.

Paul & Martha

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As far as the TPMS goes, we have had 2 Goodyear 614's loose their tread and kept holding air. The TPMS did not alarm. I saw the tread come off damaging the sheet metal on the RV. Also have had the TPMS alarm 3 times with lose of air pressure, twice due to valve stem failures and once due to running over the metal end of a bungee cord lying in the road. All 3 of the times the TPMS alarmed prevented having a tire failure and damage to the RV. The times tire failure caused damage to the RV each were in excess of $4000.00 damage. So do the math, on prevention of a tire failure more than paid for the TPMS. You do what you want but I won't travel without it hooked up and working.

whp4262

I have a factory TPMS system on my Honda Goldwing that is pretty sensitive. About a year ago I had a Dunlop Elete 3 tire on the back that was starting to separate. The TPMS never indicated any problems with the tire, I found the problem with a visual inspection. The point is that TPMS is just an additional tool not a fool proof system that will save you from all possible tire problems or sudden blowouts. What the system does do pretty well is alert you of a loss in air pressure from a puncture or cracked valve stem etc. that could lead to a blowout before you realize you are loosing air and running on a low tire. Might be a worth while expense when you consider that a nail in the road could have 12 different targets on your rig to hit.

kowAlski631

Won't travel without our TPMS activated. The 2 tires that blew out gave us no warning until there was little tire left.

Martha

Paul & Martha

cruizer76

12 Torque. Blowout in Shamrock Texas. 3 grand in damage. Less than 3k mile on trailer. No help from Heartland. 1200 to get rid of the tires. All of these people that are moderators on this site must be getting paid by Heartland the way they stick up for the company by putting these POS tires on these rigs. Last Heartland product I will ever own.

kowAlski631

The moderators are owners like we are. If you will read posts, you will see that they have also had issues with these tires. So have we. No one is "sticking up" for the company - they're, like most of the postings here, are reporting what happened & advising owners to upgrade their tires before bad stuff happens.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Realist

12 Torque. Blowout in Shamrock Texas. 3 grand in damage. Less than 3k mile on trailer. No help from Heartland. 1200 to get rid of the tires. All of these people that are moderators on this site must be getting paid by Heartland the way they stick up for the company by putting these POS tires on these rigs. Last Heartland product I will ever own.
I think you need to re-read posts #2 and #12 in this thread.
I know that my reading skills are marginal, but I failed to see where anyone stuck up for Heartland.
Seven month ago you said you had 4 grand in damages, and now you have 3 grand. That much I got.
There is no shortage of bad press for those tires on any forum.

Realist

alex00

Ok, so another, potentially dumb, question. If I decide to go with the Michelin Ribs, an LT tire, why not any of the name brand LT tires with a load range E rating? Would a BFG Commercial, GY Wrangler, Cooper Discoverer work just as well as the Rib. This all assumes the load and speed ratings are identical.

scottyb

Alex, the Ribs as well as the BFG Commercial are both commercial LT's with full steel casings. Pick one of them up and feel the difference, especially in the sidewalls. I run Michellin LTX on all my personal trucks as well as our company fleet, and love them. However, they are not in the same class as the Ribs, other than their LT designation. On the other hand, I would take the LTX's any day over the Towmax.

danemayer

Ok, so another, potentially dumb, question. If I decide to go with the Michelin Ribs, an LT tire, why not any of the name brand LT tires with a load range E rating? Would a BFG Commercial, GY Wrangler, Cooper Discoverer work just as well as the Rib. This all assumes the load and speed ratings are identical.
Max weight ratings differ among Load Range E LT tires. Check the weight rating before buying.

jnbhobe

Almost all LT-235-85-R-16 LR-E tires have a load capacity of 3042# each. Change to a LT-265-75-R-16 LR-E and it will have the same outside diameter with a load capacity of 3415# each.