TOWMAX TIRES Get rid of them! HEARTLAND REPS READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am not advocating choosing the Sailun over the G614, if you can afford the Goodyear's.

However, for anyone that is interested they are available HERE.

danemayer

As some of us have experienced, including me, Goodyear does replace failed G614 tires and pay for damage repairs. BUT, that is not something promised in the written warranty statement, so it's a policy that could change at any time.

Sailun does have a written warranty on their truck tires and it seems to me to be about the same as Goodyear's warranty, although I haven't compared it word for word. Here's a link.

I don't think any of us can do more than speculate about how a Sailun customer with a failed S637 would be treated, and whether damage repairs would be reimbursed, because none of us seem to be able to find ANY reports of a failed S637 despite their having been in the market for years. My own speculation is that Goodyear is probably the only company that pays for damage, and then only on select tires.

The Sailun website shows that the S637 235/85/R16 has a load rating of G/14, same as what Goodyear claims. The rating may be different on other sizes of the S637 that don't apply to our choices. The 14 is supposed to mean that it's equivalent to having 14 plies. But Claims of 12 vs 14 plies are contrary to published information from Sailun, and ignore the plain fact that none of these tires have 12 or 14 plies. It's an equivalency statement, not a description of the number of layers in the tire. The weight rating of 3750 at 110psi is also the same as what the Goodyear G614 claims. So claims of inferior specs seem to be counter-factual.

Goodyear G614 tires are currently manufactured in the U.S. Sailun S637 tires are currently manufactured in China. If you prefer to make purchase decisions favoring U.S. manufacture, then the Goodyear G614 is for you. Sailun S637 tires cost quite a bit less than the Goodyear and have a good reputation. A lot of people are ok choosing them and are getting good results.

Here's info from the Sailun website showing the S637 specs for the 235/85/R16 tire.

[h=3]SAILUN S637Regional A-P[/h] Print

• S637_small.jpg
    Enlarge

• Regional All Position
    • Wide Five Rib Design For Stability In Any Wheel Position
    • Optimized Tread Compound For Even Wear And Long Mileage
    • Solid Shoulder To Resist Irregular Wear And Curb Damage
    • Rib Sipes Enhance Wet Traction

Article No.Tire Size
Service Desc.
LR/PR
Tread Depth32nd
Side WallRim WidthSection WidthOverall Diam. SLR [h=5]Max Load lbs. @PSI[/h] [h=6]Single[/h] [h=6]Dual[/h] Ship Weightlbs.
8244393 235/85R16
126/123 L
G/14
12.0-6.59.2531.7314.69
3750@110
3415@110

Jim.Allison

Wow, what did I see on that coal truck?

I would not get anywhere near that tire. I think I would stand back and shoot it with a 30-06, in self defense and/or to put it out of its misery.

Debates/threads like this serve an excellent purpose, they work to inform a reader that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. A reader can determine on which side of the selection debate he falls. And if he or she reads this post and continues to run Power King Towmax tires, its not because the information was not before them.

The most negative thing that I see when I stay at an RV park are rigs that pull in with the plastic fender skirt missing and half the sheet metal peeled back. I point to the rig and tell the wife "there is another one".

Upon taking to the victim you find out he is running a ST (any ST). And I have never been to a RV park where I did not see this at least once. They generally pull in late in the afternoon having spent a couple of hours trying to unwrap a tire from around the axle.

I have talked to some that lost their ST or LT tire because they "thought that 80 psi was just too much air pressure for a tire"........

I even had a guy once show me the tires on his little motorhome, he actually had ST tires as drive and steering tires on his RV. He told me his tireman recommended them.

So Sailun or Goodyear, origin, cost, pluses and minuses are really a minor part of the conversation. While the Towmax is what we cuss and discuss here, primarily because we are disappointed that they are the OEM tire of choice across all fifth wheel manufacturers despite the knowledge that they are inferior tires; what we should be talking about is the importance of brand selection, tire selection, application, and most importantly maintenance.

We like to blame tires, and rightfully so in the case of the Towmax, but there is a component of operator error in many failed tires. We forget about that curb we climbed 6 months ago, or the chuck hole, or the time we ran that tire low. We forget bout the time that we pushed the tire to 70 mph trying to stay on time, the 2X4 laying across the road that we could not avoid, and most of all we forget about that time when we looked out the side mirror and the tires were about to roll off the rims because we had that trailer cranked around trying to back into an impossible space, or just turn around. And we forget about the trip across Arizona when the desert floor was 140 degrees and we had no TPMS to even know how hot those tires were and what internal psi they reached.

It is my hope that this thread reaches someone and saves them $2K in damage, or God forbid an accident with injury or death. You may not get injured from a mere blow out on a trailer, but anytime you are on the road because of a break down, you risk being killed. Just ask any cop how dangerous it is to be stopped on the road and out of your vehicle.

Sorry this is so long, that is just my habit, but I sincerely hope that we have prevented someone from joining the Blowmax club and the associated damages and risk.

BTW, if you loose 1, you really lost 2 in a tandem (in most cases)

avvidclif

Along the same lines. I'm curious, how many rv'ers that have had a blowout and the associated damage were using a TPMS system? The only one I had was my fault, low tire pressure, and that was before I got a TPMS. Luckily no damage

Very valid points by Jim about pressure and temperature, both are the biggest enemies of any tire on anything, except my hand lawn mower.

Boca_Shuffles

Did you actually have a bubble on your tire?

When we got our very first SOB FW, we had Goodyear Marathon tires on the trailer. On our very first trip we had a similar incident in Nevada. We were stopped at a gas station on the expressway,when a guy from the gas station across the street came riding up on his bicycle. He told us that he had seen a bubble on our tire as we passed his station and he wanted to warn us. I don't know how he could have seen the bubble at that distance.

But being newbies (and gullible), we got real worried. We called the tire insurance company that we had a contract with and they told us to go to the nearest Goodyear dealer. We had to drive about an hour out of our way. This was a very tense trip.

The Goodyear dealer told us that what we we seeing was just from the tire old during production. All the tires were okay. We put about 15,000 miles on those tires over the next 3 years.

We had to drive an hour to get back on our original route.

I THINK that the guy was just trying to sell tires to gullible newbies!

While I am not saying anything about the Towmax tires, your story sure brought make memories of our first major trip out. :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim.Allison

I read an article about a scam in Houston. Its called the "wobbly wheel" scam. Thieves will approach you and tell you that you have a "wobbly wheel" or a bad tire. They usually prey on the elderly and women. They will approach you while parked or wave you over on the road. They will claim they are a mechanic and start helping you to fix it right away. They will always have others with them. One person will distract you while the pretend repairs are being carried out.

Once the repairs are completed by the volunteer, he demands payment and the others gather around to intimidate you if you argue.

If you want to know more just google "wobbly wheel" scam.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm also surprised how many only replace four or six tires . . . and don't think about replacing the spare, thinking that the old tire will still be good for that!

I will be replacing all five of my BlowMaxes in a couple of weeks when the new springs (any maybe shocks) are put on my trailer.

Not quite sure yet which tires I will get yet . . . but they all will be balanced as well!

I'm looking at the Carlisle ST tires or the Firestone Transforce HT or AT LT tires . . . and all will have metal stems put on for when I get a TPMS setup later this year.

After I drop off the trailer tomorrow morning at the repair shop I plan on stopping at the Firestone store just around the corner from our house to look at them and get prices.

Kosanko

John,

If you are putting new tires on your trailer maybe you should consider the valor TPMS like I did because it get the internal PSI and temp and not just the PSI and temp at the valve stem, and since the tires will be off the rim for mounting they can install the sensor band while mounting the new tires and the batteries are guaranteed for 5 years and no one can steal your cap sensors while parked.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
TPMS...I think both versions have their plus and minus. I have the stem type and the batteries need to be changed every year to year and half. I have not read any postings where someone had a theft of one taken off their rig. You need the special tool and while it is easy to take off, without the tool, it would be very difficult. A draw back for the stem type is to remove the TPMS off the stems when not in use to make the battery last longer. They will continue to be active as long as they have air pressure on them. I have not had any of them vibrate loose and have a faulty signal as such. Also with in Stem type, you get 6 sensors, so you have two spares in case one goes bad.
The Inner TPMS, you are at the cost of mounting and dismounting if one goes bad or the battery is getting weak. I am not sure if you can change out the battery or you have to send them back to be replaced. That could be additional expense. I would check on that if you consider the Inner type.
In either event, Mark is correct, you should buy your TPMS and have them with the New Tires....It is a small investment and a great peace of mind when driving. Good luck tomorrow with your Trail Runner....

DuaneG

New tires, maybe rims, TPMS a plus and now I have to go look at the wheel bearing thread.

At least I have some homework now when I can't sleep.

I do like different opinions and the reasons they are your opinions. Thanks to all who participate in safety and maintenance related threads.

porthole

Retired
A draw back for the stem type is to remove the TPMS off the stems when not in use to make the battery last longer. They will continue to be active as long as they have air pressure on them.

They are designed to have the batteries last 10-12 months with full time use. I have had mine last the full year since I changed to the 507's in June 2011.
But, since I also use the sensors on the truck year round, I don't bother with trying to save the batteries on the trailer, maybe gaining a couple extra months and having them go out in the middle of a trip.

I make it a spring project every year. Call TST, get the free o-rings and buy Eveready batteries from wherever the best price is at the time, Amazon or eBay. Get cup of coffee and get to work.
I do use silicone spray when assembling the caps. After the o-rings are on I spray it on my finger and apply it to the cap and o-ring.

BTW, I have gotten batteries advertised on Amazon as Eveready and received no namer's, which were immediately returned at the vendors expense.

So while posting this - I just ordered this years supply - 20 batteries for $16.00 (I need 10 each year, the 10 spares will be fine for next year)

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CR1632-Volt-Lithium-Battery/dp/B002U4O5SC

GMCaddic

Well getting back with everyone with an update on these junkie:mad: tires
The trailer dealer had to send them to the local Les schwab dealer per Heartland warranty dept. Sense they are the dealer on the blowmax tires to get them inspected.
After all the hassle between both the trailer dealer saying the tire dealer said there is nothing wrong with these tires they would have no problem selling them as used I became
a little upset and wanted the tire store location and the person who inspected them name.
I called Les schwab talk with the guy who inspected them he said the tread depth and bead walls looked OK according to inspection. But I asked them did you inflate them?
He said no because there was imperfections on the sidewall we can't take the risk after seeing the imperfections where they were marked. I said OK how come the trailer dealer
told me a different story. He did not know so I asked him would you resale these tires as they are now? He said no. Hmmm
I ended up going to the trailer dealer and getting this story straightened out . Apparently the secretaries from both places did not have there stories straight. Well all said and done
I will only be getting $ 400.00 back but I guess that is better then a kick in the ***. At least I have a better set of Tires:)

PS / By the way I do not like Les schwab because of past business with them.

bobca1

You did well to get $400. At least for value of the tires - maybe does not make up for inconvenience.
I listed my 5 "barely-used" tow max on CL and best I could to was $200 after 3 weeks.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Post deleted by admin. Dealer bashing is not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator: