TPMS Saved My A**

Dennyha

Yesterday, we left Pennsylvania Dutch country in eastern PA, and headed home to Ohio. We were traveling west on I-80 when my EezTire TPMS alerted with Fast Pressure Loss. I quickly pulled over onto the shoulder, and watched the pressure on the TPMS dropping from 95 to 85, etc. The cold pressure is set at 110. I went out to the right, rear RV tire (Sailuns) and could hear air escaping. I removed the TPMS sender from the valve, and the air escape stopped. I pushed the valve sideways, and the air escape started again. Cracked valve. I removed the spare from the camper (Unfortunately, I never upgraded my spare from Towmax to Sailun), installed it on the camper, and reattached the TPMS sender to the tire valve.

We made it home fine, but thanks to the TPMS, what could have been catastrophic turned out to only be inconvenient.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Great to hear that your TPMS is working as it should, mine saved me twice.
But I have a question. Did you upgrade your valve stems to all metal or do you have the hybrid high pressure stem that is rubber and brass?

Peace
Dave

RDsStudio59

Dennis,
Really glad you had an inconvenience and not a catastrophic event.........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dennyha

Great to hear that your TPMS is working as it should, mine saved me twice.
But I have a question. Did you upgrade your valve stems to all metal or do you have the hybrid high pressure stem that is rubber and brass?

Peace
Dave

When the tires were upgraded last year, they installed new hi pressure valve stems, but they are the rubber and brass type, not all steel.

- - - Updated - - -

Dennis,
Really glad you had an inconvenience and not a catastrophic event.........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks, Roger. I'll take an inconvenience any day (well, maybe not during a rainstorm...just kidding) over a catastrophic blowout. Too many bad stories out there already.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When the tires were upgraded last year, they installed new hi pressure valve stems, but they are the rubber and brass type, not all steel.
I was told many years ago by the seller of the Pressure Pro System that the hybrid high pressure valve stems would fail from flexing and I should change them ASAP.
I thought I could wait, wrong. I did have one do exactly what yours did.
I've read more than a couple of post where a user was told that those stems would be alright, but I disagree, so I suggest that you, everyone using a TPMS, change to the bolt on metal valve stems.
JMHO.

Peace
Dave

Dennyha

I was told many years ago by the seller of the Pressure Pro System that the hybrid high pressure valve stems would fail from flexing and I should change them ASAP.
I thought I could wait, wrong. I did have one do exactly what yours did.
I've read more than a couple of post where a user was told that those stems would be alright, but I disagree, so I suggest that you, everyone using a TPMS, change to the bolt on metal valve stems.
JMHO.

Peace
Dave

Dave,
Thanks for the guidance. When I take the tire into the dealer today, I'm going to ask for the all metal valve.