Tpms?

Manzan

With the TST 507 system, the monitor is blank when it is turned on. Then one by one the tires register. A little slow but works. I don't bother with the locks either. The only thing ever stolen was the charger for the system. Can't figure that out. None of the sensors taken nor the monitor. TST replaced the charger at no charge. Talk about good customer service!

yport

Okay ... I just got myself an InnoTechRV TPMS so as to add maybe a "little" assurance to my ride. Super easy to set up, nice monitor, impressed with it to date. My only question is - since the instructions are vague - how hot is too hot for tire temperatures. The monitor says it gives a Stage 1 alarm at 167 degrees and a Stage 2 alarm at 185 degrees.

To me it sounds like a Stage 1 alarm at 167 is dangerously hot and I'm pulling of the road to cool down.

What would tires normally run on average for highway temps?

danemayer

We have TST monitors on the valve stem outside the tire. On a 100 degree summer day driving between 55 and 60 the temperature sensor reading might climb to 130.

I think permanent internal damage occurs at a little over 200 (F). From what I've read, tires are designed to dissipate the heat that builds up in normal use, within specs. Overloading, underinflation, higher than rated speed cause heat to build up faster than it can dissipate. The damage is said to be cumulative. So driving at 75mph for an hour today causes some damage. Doing so again next week causes additional damage. Eventually the damaged fibers let go.

ILH

With the TST 507 system, the monitor is blank when it is turned on. Then one by one the tires register. A little slow but works. I don't bother with the locks either. The only thing ever stolen was the charger for the system. Can't figure that out. None of the sensors taken nor the monitor. TST replaced the charger at no charge. Talk about good customer service!

Can't say enough about TST. I wrote to them on Friday with a question - they wrote back with an answer within an hour!

porthole

Retired
Okay ... I just got myself an InnoTechRV TPMS so as to add maybe a "little" assurance to my ride. Super easy to set up, nice monitor, impressed with it to date. My only question is - since the instructions are vague - how hot is too hot for tire temperatures. The monitor says it gives a Stage 1 alarm at 167 degrees and a Stage 2 alarm at 185 degrees.

To me it sounds like a Stage 1 alarm at 167 is dangerously hot and I'm pulling of the road to cool down.

What would tires normally run on average for highway temps?

180 is not hard to get with the newer Fords. I have seen that temp almost every trip especially on the left side front, which is where most of the air pulled through the radiator is discharged.

Non contact IR thermometer confirms the temps in that area.

yport

Thanks Danemayer and Porthole for the info. At least it gives me an idea of what might be "normal". Off tomorrow to our blueberry farm in Nova Scotia, so will give them a maiden voyage test.

Eddhuy

I just ordered the TST 507 system, they claim due to only weighing 12.5 grams metal valve stems are not needed: "Ultra light sensor design eliminates the need for metal valve stems, as these sensors only weigh 12.5 grams, yet they are still able to be fully immersed in water, and they monitor PSI from 1-195 PSI"

I will give it a try and see what happens or should I just switch to metal valve stems?

tjspencer

Wisconsin Chapter Leader
I agree with porthole. I use a IR non contact thermometer as well to measure tire heat and 160 is not that high really with highway speeds.

ILH

I just ordered the TST 507 system, they claim due to only weighing 12.5 grams metal valve stems are not needed: "Ultra light sensor design eliminates the need for metal valve stems, as these sensors only weigh 12.5 grams, yet they are still able to be fully immersed in water, and they monitor PSI from 1-195 PSI"

I will give it a try and see what happens or should I just switch to metal valve stems?

I've had the TST for the last two trips - I don't have metal stems. No issues to report.

yport

Maiden voyage with the InnotechRV TPMS was great. So easy to set up and use...but the TST system is just as good and quite similar. I stopped at my tire dealer (who also sells TMPS) and asked - while he was rotating my Ford F250 (V10) tires to change out to metal stems ... my 5th wheel already has metal.

He asked why in the world would I want to do that, as the "rubber" valves I currently have on are high pressure valves and just as good - if not better - than the metal. He said (now this story I question, but heck he's the tire dealer!) that he has high pressures rubber valves on his truck and metal on his wife's truck. Says he has replaced the metal stems twice already, rubber still great with his TPMS on.

Sounded strange, but the high pressure rubber valves on my truck sure are stiff.

Anyway, thank you all for your input and help on attaining my TPMS. Nice piece of mind.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The high pressure valve stems may have a metal core but they still flex.
This flex with the sensors attached is what will cause the rubber to fail.
At one time I thought I would not have to change the valve stems because I had the rubber/metal high pressure stems.
I was wrong and after the first failure, it was screw in all metal valve stems for me.
I have not had a problem since.

Peace
Dave

Eddhuy

The high pressure valve stems may have a metal core but they still flex.
This flex with the sensors attached is what will cause the rubber to fail.
At one time I thought I would not have to change the valve stems because I had the rubber/metal high pressure stems.
I was wrong and after the first failure, it was screw in all metal valve stems for me.
I have not had a problem since.

Peace
Dave

Cookie, do you know what caused the tire failure with certainty and did you have a TPMS attached to the stem at the time of failure? I know there are no guarantees but I would like the odds stacked in my favor as much as possible.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Absolute certainty? No, I couldn't watch the stem as I was going down the road.
Almost certain? Yes.
I was told when I bought the system that I should change out the valve stems. I thought I could wait till new tires were put on.
The TPMS was on and alerted me to low pressure. When I pulled over I could move the valve stem easily and when I did it leaked more air. The rubber part failed.
When using a TPMS I will never use the hybrid stem again and will always recommend the bolt on.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ditto on the hp rubber valve stems. 2 of them failed. Replaced with metal and no more issues.

dave10a

I have the Valor monitor that Heartland supplied. I am happy with after it because measure not only tire pressure, but temperature accurately as well. Also after using it a year the rear tire display started to wag out intermittently. I contacted Valor about this and they informed that the antenna used on earlier models was replaced with a higher gained antenna. They are sending me the updated antenna at no charge to resolve the problem. I am very happy with their response and the way they stand by their product. Heartland did well at choosing this vender for their factory installed TPMS system.

Dutch & Di

We've had our TST system for almost 5 years. The biggest "save" for us was when a brake caliper stuck! The built up heat caused the monitor to go off showing 165!!!. Pulled off the road, waited for everything to cool down and checked pulled the wheel. Found the stuck caliper, but that notification saved the rotar, the tire and possible damage to the 5th wheel. We were sold fer sure after that incident! Hugs, Di

Eddhuy

We rcvd the TST 507 system yesterday. Will install metal valve stems and transmitters then balance the tires and grease the hubs. Will be ready for our upcoming trips.