Trailer Brakes

bikerbob

OK Let me get this straight. U have to have a good charged battery for your Emergency brakes and your regular towing brakes on the trailer to work? Thanks i`m confuses.... Biker Bob

danemayer

Hi Biker Bob,

The trailer brakes are electric and need a power source in order to operate.

In normal towing, I think there may be enough power coming through the 7 wire connector to power the trailer brakes.

If the trailer breaks away from the tow vehicle, the 7 wire connector will disconnect or break. So in a break away situation, the trailer battery is the only thing providing power to the trailer brakes. If there's no charge on the battery, the trailer brakes won't work.

jnbhobe

You need a battery on the trailer for your brake away switch to work if the trailer should come disconnected from the tow vehicle.

TeJay

bikerBob,
If when you say,"Emergency brakes" you are referring to the breakaway trailer brakes then yes your trailer battery is the only power available for the trailer brakes. When you are traveling down the road your trailer brakes are activated by wires going from your TV through the connector to the four magnets on the wheels. They need power but it is coming from your TV battery which is being recharged by your alternator. Also there is a wire coming from your TV that is charging your trailer battery (s) as you are traveling down the road. I don't know about older vehicles but if you have a factory or quality aftermarket installer install your towing package and wiring harness then you probably have the ability to charge your trailer battery while traveling. There is a simple way of determining if you are charging when hooked up. Put a meter across your trailer battery with it not hooked to the TV. It should read 12.6-V or less. With your TV/trailer hooked up start your TV and again read the voltage at the battery. It should read something greater than 12.6 - 13.6 depending on how depleted the trailer battery is.

TeJay

jayc

Legendary Member
Long ago, when I tried delivering RV's, many drivers used a motorcycle battery in the new units that were being delivered. Back then, most trailers did not come with a battery from the factory, so in order for the emergency brakes to work if disconnected from the tow vehicle, the drivers had to furnish a battery and that is what they used. Lightweight and easy to hookup, they were the perfect answer.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The "Emergency" braking systems on utility trailers have a very small self-contained 12 volt battery that recharges from the Tow vehicle as well. The voltage is only needed to last for the short time it takes the locked wheels to stop the trailer in case of an event.
I like the idea of a motorcycle battery as an interim. Hopefully I'll remember that if I ever have battery issues with the unit and want to get it home before replacing the high $$ ones.

bikerbob

Great Imformation.. Thanks.. Ok so is the TT Batery being charge while TT is connected to Shore Power?? Biker Bob.....