Trailer Dolly

Ladiver

So, does anyone use a trailer dolly? We are buying our first trailer (Cyclone 3100) and will be parking it on the side of our property. We are lucky enough to have full RV hookups, but the area is only 13 feet wide. If I miscalculate, the house will have a sunroof, as will the garage of the trailer. My concern is getting it into the rv parking. We live on a fairly narrow street and I will have to back it in. Since it is my first trailer, I am not sure my backing skills will be enough to thread the needle.

We are looking at the AirTug (http://airtug.com/products/trailer-mover-tugs/5th-wheel-extra-heavy-duty-gas-trailer-tug/) since it is one of a few that seem to hold the kingpin weight of the trailer. Anyone have experience with this brand or any other? Any recommendations to maneuvering the trailer in tight areas?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

danemayer

No experience with a dolly, but I'm wondering what about it would make it easier to get the trailer into your driveway.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is a mismatch in the specs for that tug. In the beginning description, it says it can handle a 5th wheel pin weight up to 3500 lbs. Later on, it says 2500 lbs. That is less than most of the 5'ers on this forum.

oscar

The dolly looks like trouble. The nose gear of all those airplanes is WAAAY lower than your pin box. There would be some major engineering involved. What I have seen RV dealers use is a forklift with a hitch mounted across the forks. There is skill in maneuvering a trailer like that too though.

IMHO you will just have to learn to do it.

This may sound silly, get a toy truck. Clear the dining table and make a mock up of your situation. Figure out a starting position and then target points where you want to be along the way to get in there. Learn to visualize what the rear end of the trailer does as a result of input from the TV. See the "pivot point" that is the center of the trailer axles and when the rear swings in, and when it swings out. Call it a "simulator".

Get a COMPETENT spotter, ie someone that knows how to communicate well. If you have blue tooth in the truck get them on the phone, or get a little blue tooth earpiece so you can be in constant contact. Also, you can make mirrors that extend well beyond the highway mirrors, just for maneuvering. It will allow you to better see where you are. Additionally you can spend the money and get a GOOD rear view camera, or even a multiple camera setup.

You can go to a local truck driving school, explain your situation, and ask an afternoon of pylon work ("alley dock" etc.) Or find a fellow RV'er who is skilled at this to teach you, and set up some pylons on a local large parking lot when stores are closed.

In the end you have to know how to do this. Sometimes you end up in a tight spot at a campground, fuel station or whatever. If you gain the skills and confidence to do it, it will all be a lot more fun.

porthole

Retired
Interesting but pricey option. I would want to see them moving a fifth wheel at the rated load (20,000/3500) before purchasing though. None of those videos have anywhere near 3000 pounds of pin weight on them.

5th wheel tugs that I have seen are significantly larger then the Airtug. I would also want a tralier brake control.

Another consideration is do you have an incline? And what level of incline can the tug handle?
I'd like to see how the transmission works too.

I'm guessing you are looking for the turn ability far greater then you can get with a truck. In that sceaniro I would want to see that you can actually turn the tug 90 degrees with the rated load.

I doubt that I would buy it because of the cost. But I could certainly make use of with all three of my trailers.

I did send a note requesting a 5th wheel video.

oscar

Yes, what Porthole said. It may move it but can it stop it? And, 90º turns are murder on your axles/tires.

When I had my 30' TT I used a 25 horse Kubota to move it around, and 4 other trailers. No way I would attempt to move the 4100 with that.

porthole

Retired
Oscar - do you have a level up?

When i am cranking my trailer around in my driveway I will at times lift the back end to allow the tires to "un-torque". Then When I have finally have it into position and before disconnecting I lift the tires again to allow them to sit normal.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another thought. Would it be possible to use that $4500+ for the tug to modify your driveway to allow an easier approach into the parking spot?

Zoomzoommo

I like the forklift suggestion. You can get a good used 4,000# or 5,000# lift for well under $4,500, and they are easy to operate with a little practice.

jnbhobe

I move a lot of trailers and a couple of 5th wheels I have two bronco's and a forklift with hitches on the front and all have a provision to move the 5er's from the front too. Front hookup makes parking any kind of trailer easy.

Ladiver

Thanks for all of the ideas. I completely understand the need to get good at backing in to tight spots. Another reason we are considering the tug/dolly is to park the trailer straight into the rv parking, so we can drop the rear door and load from the street. I like that idea, but I can't block in my truck, since it is my everyday driver.

A few more details. Yes, there is a 5th wheel option. I was told that the kingpin will sit inside of where the ball is mounted for the gooseneck option (see pic). The driveway is at 8% grade for about 22 feet, so the effective weight of the trailer is closer to 26K lbs. There is an option for adding a brake controller to use the trailers electric brakes.

tug.jpg

The forklift is a good idea. It would be cool to have one, but I don't think the wife would allow it. Much easier to store a dolly/tug.

Jeff

LADyver

Jeff has a few issues going on I think....
1. The wife would make a lousy spotter
2. The wife insists on not having to shimmy around the trailer and up against a slumpstone wall to gain access the side entry doors (which would happen if it is backed into the RV parking)
3. The wife doesn't want the truck blocked into the RV parking if the truck pulls the RV straight in
4. Wife would prefer to have the trailer pulled straight in so the ramp can be dropped on the driveway instead of the RV parking
5. Wife certainly will not approve the forklift
6. Wife would rather drop $5K + on a smallish trailer mover than spend it on roof repair.

Thanks,

Sonja (the wife) :) (at least I approve of the trailer? Does that count for anything?)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeff, the incline will be a killer....but, do you have to blindside it in?? A used forklift is your best option. Ask the wife if she wants to back it in or you buy a fork lift. I'm sure the answer will be short and sweet. You also could explain to her that repairing the house and trailer will be more expensive. You could paint the forklift to resemble a plant or tree.

Ladiver

Luckily, backing in, I can use the driveway across the street if needed (and empty). Like Sonja said above, it would be really nice to pull it in forward. Bob, that is a great idea, I can paint it Mossy Oak!!!!!

Still don't think that would fly.

oscar

Jeff has a few issues going on I think....
1. The wife would make a lousy spotter
2. The wife insists on not having to shimmy around the trailer and up against a slumpstone wall to gain access the side entry doors (which would happen if it is backed into the RV parking)
3. The wife doesn't want the truck blocked into the RV parking if the truck pulls the RV straight in
4. Wife would prefer to have the trailer pulled straight in so the ramp can be dropped on the driveway instead of the RV parking
5. Wife certainly will not approve the forklift
6. Wife would rather drop $5K + on a smallish trailer mover than spend it on roof repair.

Thanks,

Sonja (the wife) :) (at least I approve of the trailer? Does that count for anything?)

Aah, where to start. "At least I approve of the trailer, does that count for anything?"... I sense some passive aggression there.....maybe this is not really a backing-in issue, as it is a being backed into a corner issue. And that is where level headed advice loses to......well, let's say that even though I spend a lot of nights in a Holiday Inn Express, I ain't touching this one.

LADyver

Not passive aggressive. My sense of humor isn't very lady-like. :) To give you some idea of what Jeff has to deal with, I rejoiced when I got a reciprocating saw for Valentine's Day. Don't stop the good ideas just because I'm lurking around. I might even warm up to the idea of a forklift if it will help me trim the palm trees. But I'll probably be the one taking the forklift maintenance 101 class, which is why I wasn't so keen on the idea..........

Sonja

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeff, BTW, the Socal Chapter is having a rally at Lake Skinner the 4th to 7th of April. Check out the portal page under Chapter rallies. Might be some sites left. So bring your shiny new CY and let us get to know you and DW. Ya never know if we can help you smooze the DW into a forklift.

Kbvols

Maybe the wife should do the backing and hubby directing?? For years with TT backing to hitch it up was a fiasco DW just couldn't direct so we switched a night and day difference directed her right back. Now she will argue it is her backing but....oh yeah happy wife, ............! All though it does beg the question where do we get em.....and how do we,......