Trailer Stopping Distance

Titanguy

I just ran across this test and thought I would pass it on. It is very difficult to convey the difference disc brakes makes. Except to those who already have them.

1st test was no trailer and the truck empty.
2nd & 3rd test used a 16,000 lb. trailer, using electric brakes.
Canadian Standards Tests show the Titan Disc Brake System stopping a 15,500 lb. trailer in 179 ft. using trailer brakes only. No truck brakes were used in this test.

This 179 ft. is a 100 ft. shorter stopping distance than this test using truck and trailer electric brakes!

Attachments

• Braking Test.jpg
    Braking Test.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 113

Dean-Pam

I am not surprised. I had heard a lot of folks on this forum say how much better the stopping distance was with disc brakes over the electric trailer brakes. I didn't realize just how much better until I changed out my electric brakes to disc brakes. I can not imagine ever having a 5er without disc brakes. Thanks for sharing the visual.

wdk450

Unfortunately, the disk brake system is too good. You can easily lock up your trailer wheels in hard braking and not know it. I had a set of tires ($1200) I had to replace because of flat spots on the tread due to skidding stops. You can't tell this is happening in the truck cab. The next bit of technology we need is an affordable trailer ABS system.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Unfortunately, the disk brake system is too good. You can easily lock up your trailer wheels in hard braking and not know it.

Proper gain adjustment resolves this situation. Also, the newer trucks regulate the amount of voltage going to the controller (Ford anyway). The harder you brake the more voltage..the quicker you stop.

Either way, in a "hard braking" situation I'd rather have flat spots than blood spots.

porthole

Retired
Trucks, trailers, buses, race cars - doesn't matter, maximum braking is at the point just before the tire lose friction and skids. So flat spots are bad.

jnbhobe

Unfortunately, the disk brake system is too good. You can easily lock up your trailer wheels in hard braking and not know it. I had a set of tires ($1200) I had to replace because of flat spots on the tread due to skidding stops. You can't tell this is happening in the truck cab. The next bit of technology we need is an affordable trailer ABS system.

That's what the mirrors are for I always watch my tires during a hard stop till I get the controller adjusted right. After that smooth sailing.

wdk450

Here is a link to just about the only RV trailer ABS system I found when previously researching this subject. You have to order their in-truck brake controller for about $400, and as I recall the ABS actuator was about $1600. There is a digital umbilical cable link, too. http://www.direclink.com They have a nice picture of a skidded tread trailer tire on the site. The disk brake rotors for the Kodiak system the MorRyde uses have toothed disks for ABS sensors.

BTW, for Titanguy, this company claims that THEIR actuator is the fastest on the market.

avvidclif

I have always been told (and followed) that the trailer brakes are set up to lock on dirt. Using that setting and on asphalt they won't lock under hard braking but will apply max braking without lockup.

YMMV