Trailer Tracking

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I have a 12' 300C that was built in December Time Frame. Bought it new about 3 or so months ago. We may have about 1,500 miles on the unit already. So far this trailer tows like a Rag. Not a very stable unit to tow from what I have seen. It does not like to react well to curves, braking, and cross wind. It wants to "Fish Tail" enough to feel it in the truck but not enough to feel like it will progress to loss of control.

Also, the trailer tracks badly (in my opinion) to the right (passenger side). To the point that your passenger side mirror is useless as you can not see any traffic in that mirror as the back of the trailer blocks the view.

Right now the trailer is back at CW world for an alignment check. IF they don't find anything it will be going to a Tractor Trailer shop for an 2nd opinion. Outside of this I will be adding my own repair. That is running Square Tubing the width of the trailer to each Leaf Hanger. Welding the tube to the Hangers to help stiffen them up.

I know the Correct Track might be the solution but I don't want it. The trailer is to tall and up 2" wont help.

I have also been looking at tires. Got back a quote for Hi-Spec Alu 17.5 and Cooper tires at $460 a set with $116 for shipping. ($1957 to the door, tires/wheels) The wife flipped out on that one. Understandable as she wants a new bedroom.

So far I have gotten good advise from Crazy Cooter on here as he has been through these growing pains. Anything more input would be very welcomed.

Also, very possible that some track issues could be because I tow the trailer with a SRW. I do have plans to get a dually next year as I want a completely stock pickup. My current Dodge makes almost triple the Torque and is not a reliable TV at those power levels, you have to be very careful when pushing on the skinny pedal. But I do have a Big Wig Sway bar and Bags under the rear. The Sway Bar was a nice improvement that I believe everybody should buy, regardless if you think you need it or not. Because just driving empty the truck handles so much better.

I use a B&W Companion hitch. It is set all the way forward to get the Pin just forward of the axle. It was behind the axle and the moving it forward helped.

Here is the Rig,
4443003b-c0d6-4ade.jpg

danemayer

Hi Mattpopp,

Also take a look at the specs on your truck to see if it's matched to the pin weight of your trailer. The engine and transmission probably have enough towing capacity to pull the rig, but you should check the payload spec to see if you're overloading the rear end and perhaps changing the balance on the truck affecting handling. I shopped 2010 Dodge 3500s and was surprised at the payload spec on SRW models - only a few hundred pounds more than their 2500. I was looking for 4000+ and found it to be around 2700. But since you have a 2007, maybe that's different.

Your 300C probably puts well over 3000 pounds on the hitch. By the time you account for passengers, tools, cargo, hitch weight, bed liner, bed cover, dogs, etc., you could find yourself way over spec. Some people use airbags to level the bed and trailer, but I don't think that helps with weight distribution on the truck.

I know a lot of people are happy with their Dodge trucks - so I hope no one will start debating which truck brand is better. Just suggesting that part of what you're experiencing might be related to how the truck and trailer are matched.

hoefler

I would bet you are a bit overweight on the rear and the tires on your truck are squirming around in the curves and cross winds. Going to a dual wheel rig will be the best improvement.

caissiel

I am a believer in using SRW on 5th wheels but would never load toy hauler on it. There are to many variables in pinweight and will overload the rear tires. If it wables the tires are overloaded and need more air and if over 80 lbs then duelly is required. Air bags level and soften the ride even more and good stabilizers are required on the rear axle of the TV.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I am positive with a empty garage I am over what Dodge has set for my payload. My only balance is adding the weight in the garage and trying to keep the water tank empty while towing. For the time being I have to deal with it and use any resource to attempt to make it easier on the pickup. I have a 40gal nurse tank in the bed of my truck, it stays empty while towing. Seems pointless to have it but any little thing helps right now. We load all of our gear in the garage to keep pin weight down.

I need to jump on the scales but I am almost positive I am within spec on my tires. Last time I weighed my pickup with me in it it was around 7,700lbs. Since then I got rid of the 6" lift, 20" rims, 35" tires, and the stock bumper is back on the rear end. May not be alot of weight saved but it is some. Also, Dodge accounts for 150lbs in their ratings for a driver. So if you weigh more then that subtract 150lb from you and add the difference for load.

In Sept we have a 2,000 mile round trip. Houston to Shelbyville Il. This trip I will be loading my Polaris RZR in the garage, this will help the pin weight. For this trip I will get everything loaded the day before and get on a CAT Scale to balance the weight on the trailer.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a SRW Dodge Cummins 3500 and it pulls my BH3670 perfectly. Traveled over 15K miles last year alone.
I am slightly over on my GVWR. My GCWR is within limits.
My suspension and tires are all stock. The only add on being Firestone RideRites.

The listed dry/loaded weight ratings of our rigs are similar. I do have a Trailaire pin box which smooths the ride.
I do not load my fresh tank until I am near my destination if I'm dry camping.

I'm trying to understand why there could be so much difference in towability. Of course more of your weight is in the rear. (Maybe too much?)

You have alluded to the fact your trailer does not track correctly. Correcting the alignment might help more than you think. As others have said I would monitor all tire pressure carefully. Sounds like maybe some soft tires adding sway?

It also sounds like you have modified your TV suspension and or tires at some point. Could the tow rating have been compromised in the process? Just thinking out loud. Trace

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Not enough pin weight makes perfect sense except the part about not backing straight. That causes me to think could it be something else? :confused:

lwmcguir

Trailer has to be out of alignment to have it block the view from the mirror. SRW wont make any difference over a dually regarding trailer tracking.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The other think to check out is your truck frame aligned properly? Are all of the tires on the truck matched? Having different size tires will make the truck 'crawfish'. Inflate the tires on the truck to the inflation on the sidewall not the truck sticker. One other thing is your hitch mounted in the truck center (left to right) or is it off center. Off center to the right will cause you to not be able to see out the right mirror. Just throwing out ideas.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Not enough pin weight makes perfect sense except the part about not backing straight. That causes me to think could it be something else? :confused:
My rig pulls streight as an arrow but I can't back it up streight because the hitch pin is 2.5" inboard of the rear axle.

Nathan

was having the same problem with my rig. Mine is a regular travel trailer not a fifth wheel. It has 2 bad axles. They sag downward. You should check to see if you axles are good. I put a level on mine and they were obviously junk....take a look at this thread. Mine was having a heck of a time towing to. When I finally get it back (maybe next week) I will let you know how it tows. good luck

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
More details on my pickup. All four tires are the same. Nitto Trail Grapplers,(I need to check the size but they work out to a 32x11x18) Rated at 3650lbs. The back is aired to 80psi and the front at 70psi. As for the suspension. Front is stock. The rear has a Helwig Big Wig Sway, Firestone Airbags(they are tied together from the compressor), Fox 2.0 Shocks, and Lateral Track bars. The Track Bars come off the bottom of the axle run at the same angle of the drive shaft up to the frame. About 4 1/2 ft long. I use them to control axle wrap. I will check the alignment of them as if one is set longer it could throw off the rear axle alignment but this has not been a issue as of yet.

My 35' gooseneck does not have the tracking issue.

As for the hitch. It is centered side to side. Not really much room to get it off centered. But it is a B&W turn over hitch with the B&W 5th Whl Companion.

Doubt that I have the rear of the trailer over loaded reducing the Pin weight. Last trip to Dallas from Houston the garage was empty and the water/gas tanks were full. I checked the trailer tires just before that trip. They were close to 75psi and I brought them up to 80psi.

Right now I believe there is a axle alignment issue on the trailer. I should have details by end of next week from Camping World as they have my trailer now. I am debating on bringing the trailer to Heitman in Houston to for their opinion. Not sure but I have been told they are one of the best on the Gulf Coast. But if there is a axle alignment issue that would be causing all of my problems and the unforeseen ones that have not shown their face yet. Like premature tire wear or bearing failure.

CW is also going to verify that the 7k dexter axles have 7k brakes on them and not the 6k brakes.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I went through the teeing air bags together on my uncles RV, he had bad sway and handling. Teeing/tieing the bags together caused the air to transfer side to side making the handling unstable. We ran the lines seperate and his issues were cured. I wish you luck with Camping World.:rolleyes:

GOTTOYS

I went through the teeing air bags together on my uncles RV, he had bad sway and handling. Teeing/tieing the bags together caused the air to transfer side to side making the handling unstable. We ran the lines seperate and his issues were cured. I wish you luck with Camping World.:rolleyes:
I agree. Having the airbags on the truck tied together on the one line could be the problem. As the truck leans to one side the air from that bag is squeezed over to the lighter side of the truck making it unstable. Try inflating them individually without them hooked together and see if that helps...Don

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

I have had a similar theory on air bags and the teeing side to side. Air bags sit on the inside of the frame rails. About 10"-12" in from the leaf springs. My thought is, since they are closer together they are becoming more of a pivot point. With 30psi, 40psi, or 60psi. How much of the load is on the Bags vs Leaf Springs? At what point do you begin to lose holding support from the Leafs and the Bags begin to support the Chassis on the Axle?

With this thought I have seriously be considering Hellwig 2500lb overloads for the leaf springs But I might be selling this pickup sooner rather then later. So I really dont want to invest any more money into this pickup.

Due to some unforeseen family issues we had to cancel the 2,000 mile trip with the RV that we had planned for Sept. So the pressure is off on getting everything right on the RV by then. Still working on it though.

caissiel

I added one spring ply under the main ply and one more shorter ply to reinforce the springs and they did wonders to loaded and unloaded stability.
With the load the overloads hardly touch and the bottom heavy ply is not loaded.
The long ply helps for stability and short ply helps to smooth the ride.
My ride is also smooth empty.
My spring shop knew what I was looking for and did a great job.
And price was great. They do this to a lot of SDs due to main ply failures in wood application trucks.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

wehavefun

Could you find someone with a 1 ton dually to haul your camper and see what they think, get someone with some towing expierence that tows something similar often. This will let you know if your truck is the problem or the camper. This will be pretty cheap and narrow down your problem.

I honestly believe your truck is the issue, the tires are not towing friendly, they will give you alot of side to side sway under load.

I towed my Bighorn with a 2010 Dodge mega cab dually 3/4 ton just like yours but with stock tires and no air bags I knew it was there! I now have a 2012 Dodge 3500 crew cab dually, same engine and trans and the towing difference is huge!

Good Luck,

Brian

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
That would be a very good option. Only issue is that most of my friends have 3/4 and 1 ton SRW. The one or two that have a dually are lifted like a retard.

dave10a

My trailer pulls great with F350 SRW diesel with 20 inch tires and a Trailair hitch. I am at max GCCW for the truck, but it does not feel that way. It has plenty of power, feels safe and stops well. The Ford brake controller is very good at proportioning the electric trailer brakes with the hydrolic truck brakes.