Trailer Tracking

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My trailer pulls great with F350 SRW diesel with 20 inch tires and a Trailair hitch. I am at max GCCW for the truck, but it does not feel that way. It has plenty of power, feels safe and stops well. The Ford brake controller is very good at proportioning the electric trailer brakes with the hydrolic truck brakes.

Dave, don't mean to sound short with you but there is a world of difference between a 2012 F350 Ford and a 2007 2500 Dodge. The 2012 F350 Ford was made to tow a larger load and has many more updates. We love our 2012 F350 Ford dually and it is a world of difference between that and our 1999 F350 Ford SRW.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Dave, don't mean to sound short with you but there is a world of difference between a 2012 F350 Ford and a 2007 2500 Dodge. The 2012 F350 Ford was made to tow a larger load and has many more updates. We love our 2012 F350 Ford dually and it is a world of difference between that and our 1999 F350 Ford SRW.

The only advantage that the new Ford is going to have over my 07 dodge is Brakes. Ford have a slightly larger rotors. As far as the suspension goes you enter the argumentative grounds. The tires are more then likely at a lower weight rating then mine but with him having 20" wheels and me having 18" wheels we should have about the same amount of side wall. AS I believe Ford uses a 35" tire were I have a 33" tire. I have him beat on power, my Dodge makes over twice the power of a 12' Ford. I have a fair bit of suspension up grades on my pickup.

But

What his trailer does have is a lighter pin weight. That could be the difference if the issue is coming from the pickup. But until I get the trailer axles properly aligned I will not rule out anything until that first test drive.

lwmcguir

The only advantage that the new Ford is going to have over my 07 dodge is Brakes. Ford have a slightly larger rotors. As far as the suspension goes you enter the argumentative grounds. The tires are more then likely at a lower weight rating then mine but with him having 20" wheels and me having 18" wheels we should have about the same amount of side wall. AS I believe Ford uses a 35" tire were I have a 33" tire. I have him beat on power, my Dodge makes over twice the power of a 12' Ford. I have a fair bit of suspension up grades on my pickup.

But

What his trailer does have is a lighter pin weight. That could be the difference if the issue is coming from the pickup. But until I get the trailer axles properly aligned I will not rule out anything until that first test drive.
Need to recheck some facts here.

dave10a

Didn't mean to start a controversy by posting my experience. I was making a point that a truck pulling to at or near its design limits will do just fine like mine does.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

But

😱WOW - you run over 400 HP and 800 lb/ft of torque! That must be a lot of tuner! But that means you're comparing apples and oranges - tuned to factory spec.

Suspension upgrades are nice, but they aren't recognized for GVWR, etc by any DOT, so using them to haul bigger loads could become problematic if involved in an accident. The 2012 Ford Dually has a payload of apprx 4800 pounds (13,500 - 8700), so it can handle almost all current Heartland 5th wheels.

This is just my 2 cents worth. your mileage may vary!😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
WOW - you run over 400 HP and 800 lb/ft of torque! That must be a lot of tuner! But that means you're comparing apples and oranges - tuned to factory spec.

Suspension upgrades are nice, but they aren't recognized for GVWR, etc by any DOT, so using them to haul bigger loads could become problematic if involved in an accident. The 2012 Ford Dually has a payload of apprx 4800 pounds (13,500 - 8700), so it can handle almost all current Heartland 5th wheels.

This is just my 2 cents worth. your mileage may vary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not going to argue that a Dually is going to be the best option. Hopefully in the next few months I will be switching to a Ford or GM dually. Maybe a Dodge but I am ready for something different.

The numbers set in place by the manufacturer are basically governed by the limit of the tires and leaf springs. Without going to a Commericial tire about the most you will ever be able to handle safely over the rear axle is around 7300lbs (SRW). That is including the weight of the truck and load over that axle. The 11.5 axle weight rating for its safe is around 11,000lb (Give or take) from AAM. Dodge sets the GAWR much lower due to the carrying capacity of the springs. This is true on all brands. You can safely haul more then what is set by the manufacturer by increasing the load capacity of the springs. But staying within the load capacity of the tires. I know what I am saying can or will begin a argument but this is a fact. Now its up to the LEO if they are going to cit you for being over the GWR or GAWR. Though most only want to see that you are not over loading the tires for the private guy.

I have no idea what my engine is putting out at the Crank but I know what it is putting out at the wheels. Last time I was on a Dyno (DynoJet 248) I made 711hp and 1420ftlbs at the rear wheels. At the crank, probably around 790hp and 1600ftlbs. As a 6.7 Ford makes around 350hp and 650ftlbs at the wheels. But if you are curious on what tuner I have it is a Smarty. But I also have Source Automotive Twin Turbo, HTT 64/71/14 over a BW S480, 80hp Injectors flowed/Balance, CP3 flows 110% over stock (Stg 3.5 from Floor It), Grd Heater is Gone, Big Intake, 150 AirDog lift pump, 625 Studs, ATS Stg 4 Trans, and a few other items under it. No NOS, all on diesel.

Though at the end of the day Power is completely pointless in towing. We use to tow around 30klb GCWR with a 1980 Chevy 1ton dually with a 454 on the farm. It was used to haul Gooseneck Grain Trailers.. It was slow but it got the job done. These pickups coming off the line with a advertise 400hp/800ftlbs is nothing more then a sales gimmick. How about they advertise MPG's towing their max GCWR or designing a engine to be efficient towing that weight. If one of the big three could build a pickup that towed a GCWR of 24,000lbs and sustained 15MPG at 70mph I would be all over that pickup.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Somehow this morphed into a truck war..... again.:(

Last edited:

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Somehow this morphed into a truck war..... again.:(

It won't. In 07 I liked my truck. I turned it into a toy more or less. Now I just want a completely stock dually. Highly modded pickups become a hassle and lose their fun.

For the recorded, I dont believe there is a better transmission on the road then the one you have from Goerend. You made a great choice getting one from him. Dave is a awesome transmission builder.