Trailersaver TS3 Hitch - Pics of installed Bedsaver

porthole

Retired
I'm thinking that I should move with getting the bedsaver too!

Two things to consider.
Since Jim actually has one now on a Hensley hitch, ask him how he likes it?

And I "should" be getting a prototype done of Butch's safety pin on the way to Goshen.
So there may be another option to consider.

kdubinwa

Please post your thoughts/reactions to the Butch's safety pin. I'd prefer to go that route with my BD3 but there has not been a fit for that application.

Thanks,
Kurt

Two things to consider.
And I "should" be getting a prototype done of Butch's safety pin on the way to Goshen.
So there may be another option to consider.

porthole

Retired
Please post your thoughts/reactions to the Butch's safety pin. I'd prefer to go that route with my BD3 but there has not been a fit for that application.

Thanks,
Kurt

From what I can see, the BD and TS have the same hitch head. I am stopping by Butch's shop and dropping off the hitch for a day for him to to do a workup. That has been his hold up, the lack of a saddle for the Hensley's.

kdubinwa

Great news. I appreciate your willingness to loan the hitch to Butch. It does look like we have identical hitch heads so hopefully your setup will tackle all the Hensley hitches.

jbeletti

Two things to consider.
Since Jim actually has one now on a Hensley hitch, ask him how he likes it?

Do I like it? No I do not. Am I glad I have something? Yes I am.

With the way the Bedsaver mounts to the TS3, to hitch, I have to be super pin-high to clear the Bedsaver. When the pin is higher than the Bedsaver, well ahead of the capture point and just behind the hitch head, I lower the RV until the hitch head starts to bear a small amount of weight. Then I back into it as usual.

Unhitching from the TS3 with the Bedsaver is even trickier. After I pull the hitch head release handle, I pull the truck forward slightly, until the pinbox plate slides across the back of the hitch head and tilts the hitch head downward - but no further. I then raise the coach until the pin will clear the Bedsaver before pulling the truck forward and clear of the RV.

Now I really love the remote control that comes with the Landmark! I rarely used it in the past but now it's every hitch/unhitch. So, is all of this really that hard? Not really. It's just a sequence of steps to remember and execute the same way every time.

I'm really curious to see the Butch's device for this hitch/hitch head when it's complete. It has to be less complicated than the Bedsaver for the TS3.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
After Jim's eval, I'm going to wait. I'd love the peace of mind but don't have a remote so I'm just thinking of what the hookkup/unhook for me might end up like.
I appreciate that porthole is getting a loaner to Butch and porthole can bring a prototype to Goshen, I'll be looking at it really hard there!

ncc1701e

Nice addition to your setup Jim. I'm not trying to hyjack your thread, but am hoping that someone one who reads you post might know of a bed-saver for the Curt Q5 20K hitch. Been interested in on ever since the first picture of someone's truck after not getting fully locked and on our recent return from SD with our stop in Waynesville for the regional rally I have a renewed interest. Twice on that trip I got in a little bit of a hurry and almost pulled out with out being fully locked. Luckily I caught it both time.

Like I said, hope this doesn't hyjack your thread but that some other Curt user happens to read the thread and responds.

See you in Goshen in a couple weeks.

Tom

jbeletti

If it wasn't for hijacked threads we wouldn't have half the content on the forum that we currently enjoy!

:) It's all good. If the hijacks go too far, the mods take care of it. Twice this week I moved a gazillion posts from a related thread - into their own new thread.

Better to have the discussion - anywhere, than to not have had it all all.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
This forum is great! I got a lot out of this thread about Hensley hitches and thanks to Porthole, maybe an option to a BedSaver!
(Still sorry about Jim's "oops" though)

Pizzaguy

Nice addition to your setup Jim. I'm not trying to hyjack your thread, but am hoping that someone one who reads you post might know of a bed-saver for the Curt Q5 20K hitch. Been interested in on ever since the first picture of someone's truck after not getting fully locked and on our recent return from SD with our stop in Waynesville for the regional rally I have a renewed interest. Twice on that trip I got in a little bit of a hurry and almost pulled out with out being fully locked. Luckily I caught it both time.

Like I said, hope this doesn't hyjack your thread but that some other Curt user happens to read the thread and responds.

See you in Goshen in a couple weeks.

Tom
The Bed Saver for the Curt Q5 is available. I have had one for a couple years now.

KiwiRVer

Jim, Interesting that you have to clear the bedsaver and then drop the pin to get it into the hitch. I have a had a bedsaver for 4 years on my Super Fifth hitch and I know that if the pin just clears the bedsaver then it will go straight into the hitch without any other adjustment.

Have never needed it (because I have it, of course) but I have seen someone else drop their fifth wheel onto their bed. make a right mess of the tray.

jbeletti

Jim, Interesting that you have to clear the bedsaver and then drop the pin to get it into the hitch. I have a had a bedsaver for 4 years on my Super Fifth hitch and I know that if the pin just clears the bedsaver then it will go straight into the hitch without any other adjustment...

Craig, this is nearly a blind process. If I was to get out of the truck and line up the vertical height of the pin to "just" clear the Besdaver capture area, I might find that I could back straight in.

Due to the blind nature of this process when doing it completely from within the cab, I must raise the coach until I can see the pin, back up to the hitch and lower the pin down. Then reverse this process for unhitching.

kdubinwa

From what I can see, the BD and TS have the same hitch head. I am stopping by Butch's shop and dropping off the hitch for a day for him to to do a workup. That has been his hold up, the lack of a saddle for the Hensley's.

Porthole,

Was Butch able to make a fit on the Hensley hitch head and begin offering the latch for the BD3 and TS models?

Sorry if this information was reported elsewhere.

Kurt

porthole

Retired
Porthole,

Was Butch able to make a fit on the Hensley hitch head and begin offering the latch for the BD3 and TS models?

Kurt

No.

When the trailer gets put away for the winter I plan on taking the hitch head off and sending it to him to make up the bar.
Was more work then could be accomplished in a day or 2 without having the saddle at the shop.

Unless someone else sends the saddle in it most likely will not be available until early 2014

wildwolfproducts

For those of you who read about my oops, below are pictures of the Blue Ox Bedsaver for the Trailersaver TS3 hitch that me and Dan Halvorsen installed while we were at the Indiana Chapter rally this past weekend.

Install was pretty straight forward. It required the drilling of 3 holes. Why the king pin capture portion is so high, I'm not sure. We'll see in a day or two, what sort of gymnastics will be required to hitch and unhitch.

View attachment 24281

Who makes the pad on top of your hitch? Like the looks of it. But ours works with the standard 1/4" round deal for now.
Pete