Tranmission temperature while towing

porthole

Retired
I turned the trans temp on today (Banks PDA).

After 23 milles, all but 2 highway and at 23 degrees F my trans temp was all the way up to 118F.

By the time I got to work, 35 miles, it hit 126F.

I'm sure if I ws pulling the trailer it would have at least been in the 170-180 range.

I would say 126 is way below operating temp, but the only work it was doing was pushing the truck along at 75.

Northern Virginia
I have a small Kubota and I can tell you for sure that the transmission (which is also the hydraulic oil) gets really hot when working it in the summer. That's why even the small tractors have oil coolers and fans.
Back to the OP, my trucks OEM transmission temp guage runs 190 pulling heavy in the summer. Until I pulled some steep grades in the West Virginia mountains, I had never seen hotter than 208 which was in bumper to bumper freeway traffic with the air temps about 100. Pulling a long 9% last summer, that started at a hairpin curve at almost a dead stop with full water tanks and fully loaded with gear, I hit 230. I started getting nervous but never got a warning light.

The guys over at Diesel Place say that's normal for a heavy pull in the mountains in hot weather. IIRC you won't get a warning light on the Allison until about 250 degrees.

escs36

i have found that trans temps are directly related to RPM's. i have 3 trucks. f350 with 4.10's and the temps barely hit 165 pulling heavy. f550 with 4.88's pulling my 3912 runs at 195 in the hills. f650 with allison 5 speed, 4.88's runs 165 all the time. all these trucks have added coolers installed. the truck with the lowest rpm's has the lowest temp. also my f650 temps will run 195 cruising flat grounds on the highways if i run above 2300rpm.

PUG

Pug
My 02 Duramax towing ran about 100 degrees over outside ambient in tow haul mode. My 09 Dodge 3500 in towmode runs about 80 degrees over outside ambient. It makes a difference if you use tow haul or not. I only tow in tow haul mode which keeps slipage down and temps down. I have Isspro trans guage, pyro, and boost that I purchased from Dieselmanor .com.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Ambient +100 is standard and is about correct for trailerless rigs. I changed to Amzoil (No I am not a salesman or fan) simply because of a friend that stated it dropped the overall temp X 50 degrees and it did. The Ford OD off (trailer mode) is great below about 60 MPH but above we can't deal with the revs. After research of all rigs I have found that the design of the trailer tow does not consider over 60-65mph ranges. Tow mode will keep EGT down, Boost up and Trans temp down. I am absolutely amazed that a F350 with 4.10 only hits 165 degrees........................ours hit about 195-200 with very heavy loads (not too sure what your heavy is, but ours is about 23,000 lbs trailer only)

My 02 Duramax towing ran about 100 degrees over outside ambient in tow haul mode. My 09 Dodge 3500 in towmode runs about 80 degrees over outside ambient. It makes a difference if you use tow haul or not. I only tow in tow haul mode which keeps slipage down and temps down. I have Isspro trans guage, pyro, and boost that I purchased from Dieselmanor .com.

porthole

Retired
50° drop????

The primary benefit of synthetics is that they maintain their lubricating properties at higher temps, not that they have built-in air conditioning.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Re: PULL DOG hit the nail on the head

Not sure what you mean by buit in air conditioning but here are the specs:

Trip 1 FORD ATF Idaho to Port Angeles WA ..........trans temp average 197 degrees (through Oregon and dead mans pass) OAT 88 F
Trip 2 FORD ATF Idaho to Port Angeles WA...........trans temp average 188 degrees (through Oregon and then up I 5 to Seattle) OAT 55F
Trip 3 FORD ATF Idaho to Port Angeles WA...........trans temp average 200 degrees (through Montana and then to Seattle) OAT 90F
Trip 4 AMZ ATF Idaho to Port Angeles WA.............trans temp average 155 degrees (through Oregon and dead mans pass) OAT94F
Trip 5 AMZ ATF Idaho to Port Angleles WA............trans temp average 145 degrees (through Oregon and dead mans pass) OAT 50F
Trip 6 AMZ ATF Idaho to Port Angeles WA.............trans temp average 138 degrees (through Oregon and then up I 5 to Seattle) OAT 48F

I keep these records and have for years............don't sell or advise Amzoil................don't care if YOU think I am wrong....................here are what the numbers come out at???? Whatever.

WHY is it that if something you post dosen't follow the "course of NORMAL" these responses come.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

Not sure what you mean by buit in air conditioning but here are the specs:

Trip 1 FORD ATF Idaho to Port Angeles WA ..........trans temp average 197 degrees (through Oregon and dead mans pass) OAT 88 F
Trip 2 FORD ATF Idaho to Port Angeles WA...........trans temp average 188 degrees (through Oregon and then up I 5 to Seattle) OAT 55F
Trip 3 FORD ATF Idaho to Port Angeles WA...........trans temp average 200 degrees (through Montana and then to Seattle) OAT 90F
Trip 4 AMZ ATF Idaho to Port Angeles WA.............trans temp average 155 degrees (through Oregon and dead mans pass) OAT94F
Trip 5 AMZ ATF Idaho to Port Angleles WA............trans temp average 145 degrees (through Oregon and dead mans pass) OAT 50F
Trip 6 AMZ ATF Idaho to Port Angeles WA.............trans temp average 138 degrees (through Oregon and then up I 5 to Seattle) OAT 48F

I keep these records and have for years............don't sell or advise Amzoil................don't care if YOU think I am wrong....................here are what the numbers come out at???? Whatever.

WHY is it that if something you post dosen't follow the "course of NORMAL" these responses come.

I admire your record keeping. I assume that between trip 3 and 4 is where the Amsoil replaced a petroleum based product?

Another advantage of syntectics is that they transfer heat better than petroleum based products. I can understand the temp difference on trip 5 and 6. Ambient temp was much lower. Trip 4 is pretty remarkable though.

lwmcguir

Mercon V is synthetic oil. Our temps seem to be fine running it. Would be curious if anyone else has seen the change.