Transfer switch hum

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our new Ashland has developed an annoying hum that is coming from the transfer switch. How can this be eliminated? It is driving me nuts!

danemayer

Hi billyjoeraybob,

Are you sure it's the transfer switch? I'd think you'd have to take down the basement wall to clearly identify the source. But it's more common for the Power Converter to make some noise; especially when it goes into high output mode.

Is the noise continuous? Intermittent?

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
The noise is continuous. I did take down the basement wall it is definitely the transfer switch. I am familiar with converter noises and this is not that. It is a constant 60hz hum.

danemayer

I would consider it a defect that will probably lead to a failure somewhere down the road. You might want to make arrangements with your dealer to have it replaced before it fails and leaves you stranded in the hot sun without air conditioning.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Yeah, that hum is 60 Hz noise from the contactor relay coils in the xfer switch. Mine has been doing it since it was new. It changes a little depending on temperature and the phase of the moon. I don't think its a sign of failure at all. Its just like transformer buzz. You could try putting the xfer switch on some isolating feet.