Transfer switch

Hi, I am new to this sight, my name is Dan and I have a 2011 Bighorn 5th wheel 3055RL. Been having serious eletrical issues in the last month. About 3 weeks ago I lost the entire 12 volt side due to a power surge. The power convert/charger was dead. Order a new 9200 series progressive dynamics's 60 amp convert. While I was waiting on delivery, the transfer switch surge and shorted out only on the out bound side to the distribution panel. I order a progressive dynamics's PD52DCS 50 amp surge protected switch. I hooked everything up on 6/29/2017 everything started right up without and issue, on 7/2/2017 the transfer switch went out again only on the out bound side to the distribution panel. I am hooked up to stable shore power from my house and I have power to the switch, (there is a circuit board in this switch that is suppose to short out in the event of a surge)there is power on both sides of the circuit board and the 12 volt side would work if I hooked up an extension cord to the converter. I am at a lost on why the transfer switch keeps surging and shorting out. I have had this rig since Nov 2016 and everything has worked fine up until now. I wa wondering if anybody else has had problems like this or might know what is going. My last option is to start at the shore power plug and replace and rewire everything. A day or two at the dealer is more like 3 to 5 months before I would get it back.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A question, do you have some sort of electrical protection such as a Progressive Industries EMS?
If not I would suggest that you make it your next purchase. It may have prevented your initial spike.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Another question: What exactly do you mean by "the transfer switch surge and shorted out..."? Do you mean power stopped flowing? The shore power breaker tripped and couldn't be reset? Something else?

mlpeloquin

A day or two at the dealer is more like 3 to 5 months before I would get it back.

Find and go to an independent RV repair business. They do not take much time repairing your rig and their reputation depends on getting the job done correctly the first time. If your rig is under warranty, talk to them to see if they are approved by Heartland. There are three close to me. Dealers, not all, take forever because their mechanics are busy prepping new rigs for sale and them out the door. Repair and warranty work seems to be a low priority. Again not all. Some on the forum have great service at their dealers. Get them in and out, but mine and many others unfortunately don't.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would be concerned also about what you are plugging into at home. Please tell us, have you had recent electrical work done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk