Traveling with your pets forum

jjriker

Re: Traveling with Lab

We have a Landmark Rushmore, and we adapted the cabinet to the right of the fireplace for the litter box. Originally the subwoofer was in there, so Harry moved it to the left side of the entertainment area instead. We love this spot for the litter box. We keep one door open for the cats, and I can open both for cleaning.

IMG_1722.jpgIMG_1725.jpgIMG_1723.jpg

mobilcastle

Re: Traveling with Lab

We have two shelties. Sugar(top) and Candy-When our 5ver rolls they are always with us-We wouldn't have it any other way. They are great to travel with-in the truck they just lay down and sleep-very quiet
sugar1_zps58c50fe6.jpg

DSCF0049_zps6c89722a.jpg

zurn

Re: Cat NOT a Good Traveller

We have always traveled with our rat terrier who loves just being with us she doesn't care where we are! Just starting taking our kitty who we usually left with family members but were told she really missed us so we took the plunge.Found a decorator litter box on line that looks like a large planter and put it under the desk area in our Big Horn works great! She doesn't like riding in the truck but has her spot on the bed. She is happy dog not so much as she doesn't like sharing us!We feel better with both our buddies with us!

hapjack

Re: Hey - a new forum to discuss traveling with your pets

Hi. We would not travel without our Sadie Mae our 9 year old 105lb.Great Dane. She rides in her apartment,(back seat of crew cab).We have never had any problems at the camp grounds.Before her we traveled with Mindy ( Great Dane). When DW walks her all little kids love her and she love them back.We would not leave without her.

scottyb

We have two airedales 70 & 80 lbs and they are pretty cramped in the back floor of the TV. When we bought our 5th wheel, I have to admit that I didn't realize how little space there is with the slides in. I had some notion that they could ride in the trailer. I suppose they could since the bathroom area is so big, but so far we have just crammed them in the back floor. I intend to purchase a new Ford dually pretty soon and they do not have the jump seats like my 3500, so they will have to ride on the back seat. That will make the dogs even more cramped. Any thoughts on travelling with two large dogs and a 5th wheel?

wino2

If you are purchasing the Dually chances you are getting a Crew Cab. Just fold the seats up, plenty of room for dogs beds and your two should be very comfortable.

scottyb

If you are purchasing the Dually chances you are getting a Crew Cab. Just fold the seats up, plenty of room for dogs beds and your two should be very comfortable.

OK, that's what I do now with the 3500 HD. All the new Fords I have seen, have locking storage compartments under the rear seats, and not a clean floor board to lay on.

porthole

Retired

OK, that's what I do now with the 3500 HD. All the new Fords I have seen, have locking storage compartments under the rear seats, and not a clean floor board to lay on.

30*60 (maybe it was 28*60) piece of plywood, 4" of foam, some free marine vinyl and our pups have a very comfy bed in the back of the Ford. I had enough vinyl left over to make a full rear set cover. 4 small holes on one end for the head rests to drop through and anchor it. 2 pieces of 1" stainless for removable legs.

The "bars" are 1" PVC, it is made to wedge in between the floor and roof. Without my back seat driver comes up front every chance she gets.

Attachments

• Truck_dog_bed_bar_00.jpg
    Truck_dog_bed_bar_00.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Truck_dog_bed_bar_01.jpg
    Truck_dog_bed_bar_01.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 63

scottyb

30*60 (maybe it was 28*60) piece of plywood, 4" of foam, some free marine vinyl and our pups have a very comfy bed in the back of the Ford. I had enough vinyl left over to make a full rear set cover. 4 small holes on one end for the head rests to drop through and anchor it. 2 pieces of 1" stainless for removable legs.

The "bars" are 1" PVC, it is made to wedge in between the floor and roof. Without my back seat driver comes up front every chance she gets.

That's pretty ingenious. I pride myself in my pvc skills and I think you just set the bar a little higher. I like it.

bill40

We travel with Izzy ( our 17 year old Persian ) he hated being in the truck, guess he doesn't like a Chevy. He travels in the BC and seems to be much happier, has his litter box food and water. He likes either being on the bed or under it. I have installed a remote temperature gauge so we can keep a eye on him.
After several trips to CA with outside temps very high I was surprised at how well the BC handled it, I do keep the auto fan on and the vents open. Only twice have we had to move him up to the truck when the temp got higher than we thought was good, both times in AZ when it was over 100.
I think he has over 12000 miles under those little feet and loves it when the slides come out, jumps right on the back of the sofa to check out the CG.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey - a new forum to discuss traveling with your pets

For those that travel with cats, how did you start? Short trips in the truck first? How did you introduce them to the coach? Anyone have issues with them getting under the slides when they are in?
We have two new cat furr-babies, about 3yrs old. Brothers. Going to try to introduce them to RVing at some point.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358807646.307193.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjriker

We brought our cats out to the truck for short trips at first. We have carriers for them; they complain for the first little while, but then they settle down. Same thing with the fiver - we just brought them out and let them explore, shorter periods of time and then for short trips. One of them actually got under the bed the first time we brought them out, because one of the drawers was open a bit and she found it - of course! But they are both very comfortable now. We would not let our cats in the rig with the slides in. They are climbers and we are afraid they would get up on top of the slides.

IMG_4029.jpgIMG_3753.jpgIMG_3884.jpg

danemayer

Hi Erika,

We started by taking our Gracie on trips around the neighborhood in the truck. The only place she was used to going was the vet, so it took a few times for her to figure out that we weren't always going there. After a few longer (20 minute) trips, she started enjoying the scenery.

Ann kept her on a leash in the truck and we'd put her into a carrier whenever we took her out; even to the RV. In the RV, we had to block the bedroom slide on both sides when closed, or wait until the slides were out before letting her out of the carrier. She got under the bed once and it took a can of tuna to get her out.

She was ok for a day of towing, but would get antsy after 6 or 7 hours. Taking care of her in the truck was a little stressful for Ann.

But Gracie loved the RV. When we'd get home and the RV was in front of the house, she'd look out the front window at the RV and cry.
She had her favorite places in the RV. Here's one.
DSC00697.jpg
Here she is helping to navigate.
Gracie in Truck-1.jpg

Birchwood

Traveling without pets if fun also.If you want to take a break and visit a nice resort its not a big deal,
if you want to go to the beach for hours no worries,selling your Rv you can advertise pet free,take a cruise
stress free and above all no animal smells in the RV.

back2nature

It's been fun seeing some photos of the cats travelers. We usually see the dogs because people are outside walking them, but cats, for the most part, are inside the rv's and we don't usually see any. They are our traveling buddies too and I think we all enjoy sharing a few pics of them here.

We didn't try out short trips at the start. Nope, first trip was a seven day one with the cats. But I will say, when we first got the Rv and parked it at the house, we put the cats in it for short spells, while we packed it, so they would get their own scent on the place and become familiar with it. I think that help quite a bit. Put their bowls of food and water, so they know they will eat there. Our cats have cat beds in the house and we put those in there too for the trial period. They got used to it pretty quickly. We've never taken the rv anywhere without the cats. And . . . right now, we are full-timing, so the cats have no choice.

cats with jackets_sm.jpgIMG_6372_sm.jpgIMG_6371_m.jpgIMAG0353_sm.jpg

jjriker

Traveling without pets if fun also.If you want to take a break and visit a nice resort its not a big deal,
if you want to go to the beach for hours no worries,selling your Rv you can advertise pet free,take a cruise
stress free and above all no animal smells in the RV.

It's not fun for me. Before we had our fiver, we went on vacation and left them at home. I always felt bad leaving them because I knew they missed us. By the second or third day, I would be wondering how they were doing. By the end of vacation, I couldn't wait to get home and see them, and make sure they were ok. Being able to bring them with us was the number one thing that I loved about having our rig. :) And now that we are fulltimers, it's a moot point anyway.

scottyb

Bringing my dogs along was a big part in my decision to buy a 5th wheel. The previous 20 years, we did all flying vacations, both in and out of country. We would always miss them immensely and decided we wanted to change our vacation style to allow them to be with us.

porthole

Retired

Anyone have issues with them getting under the slides when they are in?

Oh yeah, about half the time when we go to set up he is under the bedroom slide.
And if we don't get him before breaking camp we sometimes have to wait a bit before pulling the slide in.

Lake_George_2012-06_114_b.jpg

fre2bMe

oh thank you for sharing "back2nature" and you did the most commonsensical thing any animal guardian should do = introducing any new 'experience' with patience and positive reinforcement. i am planning to become a living in full time 5ver, and my intent is to live with msKitty in home b4 we ever travel. she 'hates' carriers and used to set up shop in the car's backseat window {the dogs usually hog the seats} but in a truck...she is not happy. i am planning to allow her to travel in trailer - do you ever do that?
i just adore the photo of your 2 kitties looking out the window - they are very lucky to have found/chosen you(s)!

Last edited: