Traversing the Rocky Mountains

How do the Landmarks travel when traversing the Rockies?

Specifically when traveling either up or down steep grades in our country's highest peaks. I've never pulled a trailer over the Rockies and am concerned about overheating and brakes.

What experiences have you all had?

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Depends on what you are towing with. If you have an exhaust brake you should have no issues. Braking on a steep incline can be stressful for sure unless you know what you are doing and then maybe. Learn the "stab" braking method. My rule is I never go down a long incline faster than I went up. Follow all speed restrictions. Plan way ahead on 4 lane descents. You do not want to have to slam on your brakes because of a slower vehicle in front of you due to a lack of situational awareness. Do not get in a hurry.

danemayer

Hi mixologist,

A lot depends on the tow vehicle.

Our 2011 GMC 3500 pulled our 16,000 lb Landmark up I-70 between Frisco and Denver in both directions without any problems. The downhill ride is the most interesting because you must control your speed. Having an exhaust brake helps quite a bit. You'll have to gear down so you don't ride the brakes as your brakes will overheat.

Our 2014 RAM 3500 pulls mostly up and down Wolf Creek Pass on Rt 160, but also Poncha Pass near Salida and Hoosier Pass near Breckenridge. No problems.

On the descents, you'll want to manage speed to a max of 35 mph, letting the engine and transmission do most of the work.

Oldelevatorman

Hi mixologist,

A lot depends on the tow vehicle.

Our 2011 GMC 3500 pulled our 16,000 lb Landmark up I-70 between Frisco and Denver in both directions without any problems. The downhill ride is the most interesting because you must control your speed. Having an exhaust brake helps quite a bit. You'll have to gear down so you don't ride the brakes as your brakes will overheat.

Our 2014 RAM 3500 pulls mostly up and down Wolf Creek Pass on Rt 160, but also Poncha Pass near Salida and Hoosier Pass near Breckenridge. No problems.

On the descents, you'll want to manage speed to a max of 35 mph, letting the engine and transmission do most of the work.

Just came back from 10 days at Estes Park with our '17 Newport. Now in Reno. I had disc brakes installed at the Pueblo rally. Pulling it with a '15 F350 DRW 2WD, no problems whatsoever at 11,000 ft or wherever, keep exhaust brake on going down hills, 35 or 40 mph, it's all good! It stops on a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the quick replies. This all makes me rest easier. Good to know I have a wealth of resources right at my finger tips. Thanks again.

Piperflyer

There isn't a hill I wouldn't go up or down now, after being all over the western states and Canada with my Silverado towing my 10 ton RV. What a bear this truck is....

That's good to know Piper. You have the truck that I will get when I start traveling. Also I hope to have my pilots license in a year or two.

Piperflyer

That's good to know Piper. You have the truck that I will get when I start traveling. Also I hope to have my pilots license in a year or two.

Get your instrument ticket after your private license; that's what makes you a pilot.
I was at the Chevy Dealer today looking at the new Silverado 3500's and the new one's have more torque and power than the previous years. Truck has to be a really bad animal now.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to consider is the highway you want to travel. For example I would not pull a 40 foot trailer over the mountain on highway 212.
A nice day trip, but not with a trailer for me.

Peace
dave

CoveredWagon

Get your instrument ticket after your private license; that's what makes you a pilot.
I was at the Chevy Dealer today looking at the new Silverado 3500's and the new one's have more torque and power than the previous years. Truck has to be a really bad animal now.

BTDT, private pilot, instrument rated ��
It is. 910 lb/ft torque @ 1600 rpm ��

RossRagan

So we have established that with the big trucks, mountains are not an issue...how about some comments from those with half-ton truck towing experience? I'll be towing an ultralight 29' (7000 lb) with my F-150 3.5 EcoBoost...no exhaust braking here.

MikeR

So we have established that with the big trucks, mountains are not an issue...how about some comments from those with half-ton truck towing experience? I'll be towing an ultralight 29' (7000 lb) with my F-150 3.5 EcoBoost...no exhaust braking here.

No, with your gas motor you do not have exhaust braking. But, with a gas motor you do have compression braking, just downshift into a lower gear. Just watch your RPMs. It may scream a little but you will be fine.

aatauses

I do not think I can add much----going down will take more concentration, but you should have no issues (we full time so have traveled both ways numerous times, pulling a bighorn with a chevy 3500). Note I 90 is quite rough.
al

CoveredWagon

Lose some speed at the top of the hill don’t try and lose it going down! You won’t. Select a lower gear going down than you did going up.

What a great board. I did a search of this topic but I'm not really good at search criteria. Enjoying the open discussion.

And Piper, I hear you about the instrument rating. Not trying to hijack my own thread but I'm a flight medic on a helicopter.

Flagler County Fire Rescue.

FireFlight:
IMG_0039[62].jpg
33776677_773996482805415_5339906609751523328_n.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Everyone has given good advise on the tow vehicles but what exactly which road do you take. I'm not a fan of Camping World but they put out a very good atlas that has highlighted truck roads. We always follow the truck routes in planning our trips because of making sure of bridge heights etc. Also this atlas has campgrounds marked.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Everyone has given good advise on the tow vehicles but what exactly which road do you take. I'm not a fan of Camping World but they put out a very good atlas that has highlighted truck roads. We always follow the truck routes in planning our trips because of making sure of bridge heights etc. Also this atlas has campgrounds marked.

We’ve crossed or been in the Rockies and western mountains numerous times with both BH and our SRW F350.

We’ll start from north to south...
In Montana
US 2
I 90
MT 1 from Anaconda to Phillipsburg
US 12 over Lolo pass to Idaho
US 93 from Idaho over the Bitterroots into MT

In Colorado
I 70 from Denver to Utah
US160 to Alamosa N to Salida E to Canon City

New Mexico
US 82 in the Lincoln NF (cloudcroft)

Washington
WA 410 near Mt Rainer
US 97 Wenatchee mtns

Arizona
I 17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix

And if you really want to experience elevation change the Rockies have nothing on the Appalachians. Traverse US 219 from I 64, Lewisburg WV, to Pennsylvania. May not be as high but very much steeper!!!!

And of course we were in the Canadian Rockies, other mountain ranges there and in Alaska.

To the OP, if your truck is sized correctly for your camper and follow the suggestions posted here, shouldn’t be a problem.

We can go a hellin’ uphill but I certainly take my time going down the other side!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksucats

Be sure to downshift to a lower gear (or be at the lower gear) when you crest the hill. Look at your owners manual for your particular truck - I have read that some have higher red-line limits for when using exhaust braking than for pulling (hope that makes sense). Finally, if you feel that you are not slowing down sufficiently because of brake fade, pull over as soon as you can and let your brakes cool. Of course, do that safely!