Tripod for fifth wheel

dcwettstein

We have a Big Horn 5er with hydraulic leveling. I have seen these Tripods on the king pin. Do they help stabilizing the unit? Our unit is very stable now. Are these tripods worth the money and if they are what kind would be the best.

Miltp920

My opinion is you do not need it if you have 6 pt level. I had one from sob without 6 pt, and I sold it.

DocFather

I have 6-pt but also use a tripod. I see a huge difference in shaking with someone else walking or the washer on spin cycle.

jnbhobe

My opinion is you do not need it if you have 6 pt level. I had one from sob without 6 pt, and I sold it.

You did real good, most of us give them away. I think I have a Bi-pod left I'll give away. They are worth more for scrap.

stevenssr

Mine definitely makes a difference. Plus, the higher the front end, the more it helps. However, if you are stable now, you may not see enough difference to warrant the cost. If you do decide to get one, I recommend getting the lightweight aluminum one (for weight purposes).

Garypowell

I use one if sitting for more than a couple of days. With washer out in the nose of my rig it makes a BIG difference.

I also have learned that once the collar is tight I bump the nose down and that really helps keep it steady. Before I learned that trick I was really not vey happy with the tripod but now love it.

tracks

The tripod makes a big difference when using the washer and dryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcwettstein

Thanks all. our washer/dryer is in the kitchen pantry not in the bedroom. Because of this I will not be getting a tripod but I will get a lock. Thanks all.

dieseldogsdad

I realize this thread is kind of old but it is the only one I have found on the topic so far. I just picked up my new Bighorn 3750FL last week and probably won't get to use it till spring so I don't even know if I will need a tripod yet. My question is can you use a tripod with he 6 pt Levelup? When we went to the Hershey show I could have sworn that one of the Heartland dealers there said the level system would adjust for change in weight or other conditions and I thought we even heard the pump running in a unit we were in when a few more people came in to view it. Is this incorrect? Does the unit only level itself if you push the button again or is it automatic? If it adjusts by itself I would think the tripod would interfere and may cause stress on the nose.

danemayer

I realize this thread is kind of old but it is the only one I have found on the topic so far. I just picked up my new Bighorn 3750FL last week and probably won't get to use it till spring so I don't even know if I will need a tripod yet. My question is can you use a tripod with he 6 pt Levelup? When we went to the Hershey show I could have sworn that one of the Heartland dealers there said the level system would adjust for change in weight or other conditions and I thought we even heard the pump running in a unit we were in when a few more people came in to view it. Is this incorrect? Does the unit only level itself if you push the button again or is it automatic? If it adjusts by itself I would think the tripod would interfere and may cause stress on the nose.

Hi dieseldogsdad,

The levelup system only runs when you push buttons on the control panel. Then it shuts off.

From many past comments, I would say that most owners don't find the pinbox tripods to be very effective.

If you're experiencing movement of the coach with all 6 jacks on the ground, you might try chocking the wheels.

Another consideration is that the greater the extension on the landing jacks, particularly the front jacks, the more motion you're likely to have. If you place 10-12" blocks under the front jacks, you'll have a more stable setup.

And no matter what you do, if you have a washing machine, the spin cycle will introduce some shaking.

dieseldogsdad

Thank you for the response. After placing my post I had read the tripods are not very effective. It seems the JT strong-arm system is highly recommended as well as the options you listed.

Dutch & Di

We have the Big Foot Leveling system and we still needed our permanently installed stabilizers. While the BF did offer a level of stabilization, that is not it's main purpose and we still needed stability. We had our stabilizers both before & after BF and have been nice and solid for almost 9 years. Hugs, Di

Chuft

I know my 5er is not the same but the jt's made a huge difference in the amount of movement once set up.

Jim.Allison

I have seen them, they are a ritual. Useful if you don't have 6 point. Garage clutter if you do have 6 point. And I guess if you have an out of balance washing machine you need one. I put my money in solar!

happykraut

DocFather exactly my point. He said it is VERY stable now. So in my book it is a waste to spend money on something that is working Very Good. Just a difference of opinions.

bigdob24

I tried a tripod and it did not help much.
I now have the SteadyFast system installed and it makes a big difference , well worth the money and an easy install.
I also had a set of tripod stands that I used on an earlier RV and I put them in the middle under the frame and with the front legs and rear stabilizers and SteadyFast all down and tight it holds everything with almost no shaking or movement.
I guess the more systems you use the better��