Tripping 30 amp breaker

DWW

I have a 2013 Prowler model 28prls and when I run the a/c and hot water tank at the same time, it trips the 30 amp breaker.
How many amps should (1) a/c unit & (1) hot water tank pull?
To prevent this, I have to run the hot water tank on propane.
DWW

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link to some information from KOA that you might find useful. [LINK]
What breaker is tripping, yours or the RV park?
If you are in MS and everybody is running their AC units then the tripping could be caused by low voltage.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

A/C can pull 15 amps. Water heater electric element might pull 13 Amps. Just those two put you close to the edge.

If campground voltage drops a few volts, as is common in hot weather, amps go up, putting you closer to the edge.

You also have a hidden load - the Power Converter pulls up to 6 amps depending on what 12V stuff is running and the charge on the battery. Enough to put you over the edge.

hoefler

You need to take into consideration the other things that are pulling power, refridgerator and convertor are on. Plus any fan, computer, 11o volt lights, TV, coffee pot, etc.. All add up.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I only flip the electric water heater on when I need hot water . . . no sense in leaving it on all the time . . . just a waste of electricity and draw on the whole system!

If I need hot water in a hurry, I'll use the propane and electric together.

MP_CS

You didn't state which 30a breaker is tripping, just keep in mind the breaker at the pedestal gets cycled on/off repeatedly so over time they will get weak.