truck comparisons

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Actually I'm a Ford man but Ford let me down too many times and the Dodge has been a consistant rock solid performer and a proffitable truck.

I don't want any truck with an EGR, DPF, DEF or whatever they come up with next. If you look at my truck purchases over the last 6 years you'll see that for the last 3 years I am going backwards away from that expensive mess. Sure was nice to be able to buy ALL 6 injectors for my 12 valve mechanical 5.9 cummins for $199....... That's right $199 for 6 injectors.

lwmcguir

We have several Ford Diesels and have had since they started making them. Our F350 King Ranch CC LB 6.7 is the best one so far we have ever had. The only complaint is the engine has so much torque that the rear tires are going to wear quicker than I would like. Another thing we have to watch is when cornering on a gravel road you have to touch the accelerator lightly when coming out of the corner or you will slide the rear wheels.

It seems to be the best made Ford we have ever had. With the 200K warranty we are going to drive it a lot for sure. We are getting about 17 MPG average just running around and 11-14 pulling.

Still haven't got all the computer display stuff checked out but the overall layout is darn near perfect.

ricatic

The new Ford is certainly getting off to a great start. Those of us that have the new Ford have a hard time staying off the roads with them. I have 17500 miles on mine. With 8 months of 26000 6.7 diesels a month rolling out the door of the Kentucky Truck Plant, over 200000 have been built. They are sometimes very difficult to find on dealer lots. Current estimates are over 150000 have been sold. The fleet is piling up millions of miles a month and there have been no issues to speak of. Hot shot delivery guys are over 75000 miles now and there have been no issues with their trucks either. It looks like the Victory flag is being unfolded. The OB's make great trucks too. Please try them all and buy the truck that works best for you.

Regards

porthole

Retired
With the 200K warranty we are going to drive it a lot for sure.

I'm guessing you got one of the extended warranties???
A Ford plan?
Which one?

Did you also get a bumper to bumper extended plan?

From what I have read, with Ford, if you want full bumper to bumper you have to buy 2 different plans

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
There is a reason you purchased your injectors for $199.00! Someday soon you will figure out the answer..............been there done that and will NEVER again!!!!!!!! If you are getting a 3 carrot diamond for $3.00 then a bell ought to be going off.

Joe Isuzu

Just curious, I find all three manufacturers have their good and bat points. My tow vehicle is a 2000 Ford F-230, 7.3 liter diesel, crew cab, long bed, four wheel drive and is paid for. Works great and should last a long time. Sixty thousand dollars for a new one is way over my budget and probably seventy thousand with my above options. I gave up on Ford when they designed them requiring the complete removal of the cab to work on certain areas of the engine, ie. the turbocharger. My diesel shop loves the six and six point four engines because they put his kids through college. Don't know much about government motors or fiat - I mean dodge. If Toyota would enter the US market with their larger diesel trucks it might make things interesting.

Just my opinion!

ricatic

Joe

A similar 2011 truck like yours would cost a lot less than $60000.00. My loaded Lariat CC SB FX4 was just over $50000. I realize that is still a lot of money. Your diesel shop, however, is not being honest if he is removing cabs to work on or remove the turbocharger. On the 6.0, the fact is cab removal is only needed to remove the engine, and then only if you have the right hoist and someone else is paying the bill. Otherwise, remove the front bumper and all that is behind it until you get to the engine fan and pull it out the front. All other repairs, including head gaskets and head stud replacements can be done with the cab on place. How do I know? I have done it more than once. This very common misconception has caused more customers to be grossly overcharged for repairs. Regarding the new truck, no repairs require cab removal. One of the design goals for the new 6.7 Super Duty was to eliminate this misconception. Engine removal will require cab lifting. So now, It may be time for a new Ford

Joe Isuzu

ricatic,

That is good news. My diesel guy doesn't do the remove the cab thingie but the ford dealers here in my houston area do. He just made a lot of money because of the early problems with the 6 and 6.4 engines. I have been watching the new ford diesel. It looks promising. I am going to let the beta testers go for about 18 months, them I am retiring and might just go for one. I wish I could get that allison transmission in a ford though, or maybe a cummins diesel. Oh well, as I said earlier they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Maybe a freightliner or international!

Thanks!

lwmcguir

I'm guessing you got one of the extended warranties???
A Ford plan?
Which one?

Did you also get a bumper to bumper extended plan?

From what I have read, with Ford, if you want full bumper to bumper you have to buy 2 different plans

I only have the Ford 36K bumper to bumper. The extended 200K warranty is primarily for the engine and engine components and does cover all the typical things that can go wrong on a Diesel. That warrantly has worked well for us with the recent trucks. Pricey at $3,000 but that is about what a trip to the shope for EGC, oil coolers, or any major repair is going to run.

caissiel

I had 9 years with my previous bad 98 GM with no amount of problems. This bad Ford has been busy for 6 years and in 3 years I will be buying an other 2 year old Diesel, It will be a bad one again because I buy by price and take care of the problems. So I my assomption it will surely not be a 2011 Ford, maybe a 2010 that is now the lemon of the Ford family. But It will not have 5 year old gold coolant in it.

Wonder if Ford is still using the gold Junk in there new 2011, then wait a few years seen the results.

ricatic

Ford is not using the Premium Gold Coolant in the new 2011 6.7 engine. It is using the new Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine Coolant VC-3-B. This is an oat based product and can not be mixed with gold,green or red coolants.

lwmcguir

The 6.7 has two separate cooling systems which is a big change. A low temp and a high temp.

Last edited:
Wow, that's what I call a detailed, head to head, product comparison! Thank you for the post. As an owner of a 2006, 2500 CTD, and currently querying the forum about who pulls what with 3/4 ton rigs (and leaning towards upgrading), I'm now thinking about changing brands as well.

I really like my Dodge and the CTD, but I presently only haul a 1500# Palomino camper -- not much of a load. After seeing these results, I'm inclined to find a good used Sierra or Silverado 3500 D/A, SRW (we just don't want a dually). While I'm certainly not interested in being the first to the top of the hill, the Dodge CTD's in this test just seemed to struggle against the Fords's and GM's.

GOTTOYS

Not to start a brand war...but any of the new batch of diesels is up to the test. If you had good luck with a Dodge before don't let the test results decide for you. The real differences between all three of them isn't that much. Wide open throttle acceleration wasn't a big part of the criteria when I bought mine. The worst performing of all 3 of them is still way better than any of them were 5 years ago. There are still thousands of 5 year old and older diesel trucks on the road making their owners smile every day...Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've owned a Chevy, a Ford and now a Dodge. They all have pros and cons. Chevy reliabilty, Ford great coachwork,Dodge...well the best thing about a Dodge is that they teamed with Cummins. All I can say is , I love my Cummins.

lwmcguir

We have ran all three as well. The Fords hold up better all across the board on the ranch. Pulling a camper is easy work compared to ranch truck use. Buy what you like and be happy with it. However don't forget to check out the new Fords. Fuel economy is much improved and with the higher fuel cost coming fast that is a consideration for sure. Looks like Diesel will hit $5 dollars within 2-3 years. Our new Ford is the Best all around HD truck we have ever owned.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, that's what I call a detailed, head to head, product comparison! Thank you for the post. As an owner of a 2006, 2500 CTD, and currently querying the forum about who pulls what with 3/4 ton rigs (and leaning towards upgrading), I'm now thinking about changing brands as well.

I really like my Dodge and the CTD, but I presently only haul a 1500# Palomino camper -- not much of a load. After seeing these results, I'm inclined to find a good used Sierra or Silverado 3500 D/A, SRW (we just don't want a dually). While I'm certainly not interested in being the first to the top of the hill, the Dodge CTD's in this test just seemed to struggle against the Fords's and GM's.

I'd be interested in a link to the test you are referring to, stating that the Cummins struggled. I haven't seen that one yet. I thought the original post was about Ford vs. Chevy.
I pull my current 5th wheel which weighs around 10k loaded, with my '06 5.9 Cummins. I don't like pushing my truck hard and I can do Cajon pass here in SoCal at around 45-50 mph, no problem. This truck still gets an AVERAGE of around 15.5 mpg. I've gotten as much as 17mpg when towing in the flat land. 22mpg when running empty.
IMHO, Keep the Cummins, then if you ever replace it, go to a 1 ton.

Last edited:

ricatic

If I had to guess, and I do, he is likely referencing the first HD truck shootout at pickuptruck.com. In that comparison, they did have a new Dodge along with the new Ford 6.7 and the 2011 DuraMax. The Dodge was a little slower in the timed testing. He can not be referencing the "Rumble" shootout. Chevy was afraid of the Dodge when pulling at the Dodge GCVWR weight so they were not invited to the party. Just one of the glaring inconsistencies in the GM commercial.