Truck Question

dundonrl

Regards to the truck question "will my truck pull it? or how much truck do I need to pull it" - the real question is how much truck will I need to STOP it. Remember the Toyota Tundra pulling the Space Shuttle. A 1/2 ton pickup will pull a 747 or locomotive engine but the real question is will it stop it. Remember brakes on the RV may not be adjusted properly or may fail. In my mind it is better to go with too much than not enough. MHO

I'm not sure about Ford or GM, but the Ram 2500 and 3500 (at least the year that I own, a 2012) the ONLY difference between them is the rear springs as far as payload and towing goes. The engine, transmission, drive shafts, transfer case, brakes are all identical. (and a pair of Firestone air bags will MORE than make up the difference in the springs)

danemayer

I'm not sure about Ford or GM, but the Ram 2500 and 3500 (at least the year that I own, a 2012) the ONLY difference between them is the rear springs as far as payload and towing goes. The engine, transmission, drive shafts, transfer case, brakes are all identical. (and a pair of Firestone air bags will MORE than make up the difference in the springs)
Hi dundonrl,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

If you have a Dodge 3500 single rear wheel, you may also find that your payload spec is not much different than a 2500, perhaps reflecting the addition of a single leaf spring to the spring pack. If you have a dually, it's probably much higher reflecting other differences. I believe Ford and GM have much higher payload specs on their 3500 SRW models.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My 2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4WD is rated for a 22500# for a 5er and has GCVW of 30500#. It should say Peterbilt on the grill. A SRW is rated less and if its a 2WD 3500 DRW the rating goes up by 500# across the board.