Tv program audio through surround sound speakers?

Mizmary

I am so happy. RamD bought a $10 cable. Now, we will have sound we can hear!! Momma is happy because that's way cheaper and easier than a $300 sound bar and no sawing into wood fascia required.

You all just paid for the HOC membership and then some! 😜

scottyb

No luck with my Magnavox TV. Under "Sound", the TV Speakers option says "Not Available" and is not highlighted.

Mizmary

:-( it works with the insignia we have hooked up while we wait for our replacement. Bummer.

danemayer

No luck with my Magnavox TV. Under "Sound", the TV Speakers option says "Not Available" and is not highlighted.
No luck with what? Did you get a cable? Unless it's a digital audio cable, you probably don't need to change TV settings.

ramdually4100king

Our magnavox quit working after two weeks and we are waiting for heartland to replace it. The insignia is the cheep tv we pulled out of storage while we are waiting for the tv to arrive.

The sound coming from the Sony system is week. I can actually hear the sound better from the tv speakers.

danemayer

Our magnavox quit working after two weeks and we are waiting for heartland to replace it. The insignia is the cheep tv we pulled out of storage while we are waiting for the tv to arrive.

The sound coming from the Sony system is week. I can actually hear the sound better from the tv speakers.
If you're using a headphone jack on the Insignia, sometimes the levels are too low for the surround sound. The Magnavox may have better output, or a different audio out choice, like RCA phono out.

scottyb

No luck with what? Did you get a cable? Unless it's a digital audio cable, you probably don't need to change TV settings.

No luck with getting TV sound to my surround via the RCA phono cable input that Invizatu was describing.
My Sony DAV-TVZ140 has RCA phono input and works fine. There is a single audio output on the back of the TV that splits out to a dual cable and runs to back of DAV-TZ140. You do have to go into the TV menu / settings / audio and designate the audio option you want to use.

scottyb

What TV do you have?

Magnavox 50MF412B. I have checked the RCA cables at both ends and they are plugged in to the correct ports. The Yellow is plugged into the video IN and the red/whites are plugged in to the Audio out ports on the TV. I hope I am missing something simple on either end, the TV or the Surround.

GWZ1948

I will respond with model #, etc. once I return home this evening!! Thanks for the assistance.
Checking in with my info - Toshiba TV, 40", Model 40FT2U1 with available female connections under "label - Video Colored HD Stream", 1 Green - Y Video, 1 Blue - PB, 1 Red - PR. Under MONO label - 1 White - left, 1 Red -Right. Receiver is Sony Model TDB-TZ130 with available female connections under label - Video out - yellow. Under label - TV / Cable, 1 Audio in, Left - Red, 1 Audio in, Right - White. I'm hoping this provide enough of a blueprint that you might be able to point me in the right direction!!

danemayer

Magnavox 50MF412B. I have checked the RCA cables at both ends and they are plugged in to the correct ports. The Yellow is plugged into the video IN and the red/whites are plugged in to the Audio out ports on the TV. I hope I am missing something simple on either end, the TV or the Surround.
Scotty,

I checked the Magnavox manual (now uploaded to the forum) and page 11 shows that there are two audio outs on the TV: Digital Audio Coax and Headphone. The Y/R/W AVI connectors are inputs to the TV.

If you go back to the RV Illustrated Audio Connections Guide, page 8 shows how to make the connection from the headphone jack - but it it's iffy because the output level may or may not be enough to drive the surround sound. The better solution is on page 9, which shows how to connect the TV's Digital Audio Coax to the surround sound's RCA Phono inputs. It requires 2 cables and an adapter. Sources are shown in the document.

danemayer

Checking in with my info - Toshiba TV, 40", Model 40FT2U1 with available female connections under "label - Video Colored HD Stream", 1 Green - Y Video, 1 Blue - PB, 1 Red - PR. Under MONO label - 1 White - left, 1 Red -Right. Receiver is Sony Model TDB-TZ130 with available female connections under label - Video out - yellow. Under label - TV / Cable, 1 Audio in, Left - Red, 1 Audio in, Right - White. I'm hoping this provide enough of a blueprint that you might be able to point me in the right direction!!

GWZ1948,

The Toshiba 40FT2U1 manual shows on page 12 a Digital Audio Output, which appears to be the Digital Audio Coax variety.

Your Sony TZ130 manual shows RCA Phono audio inputs.

You'll also need to refer to page 9 of the RV Audio Connections Illustrated Guide for the correct cables and converter.

danemayer

GWZ1948 and ScottyB,

I see you're both Texans. If you haven't got the audio straightened out by October, come to the Canton Rally or the Beaumont Rally and I'll give you a hand with it. I carry extra cables and converters just because so many people are having trouble making the connections. You might have to bring your own tools to get to the back of the TV on your Cyclone however.

Mizmary

GWZ1948 and ScottyB,

I see you're both Texans. If you haven't got the audio straightened out by October, come to the Canton Rally or the Beaumont Rally and I'll give you a hand with it. I carry extra cables and converters just because so many people are having trouble making the connections. You might have to bring your own tools to get to the back of the TV on your Cyclone however.

Thank you so much for all of your help. If it weren't for the rally in Temecula, we'd probably come bug you in Texas. I love that when we get on here there is almost always an answer.

Wow! I have been thrashing over this for a year now. I saw and thought the same thing as everybody else. I also discovered that there is no optical digital input on mine. I will have to check this out when I get home. Fingers crossed. Not sure about others, but I have to turn the TV volume almost to the max to hear it over the AC.

I am glad we got this figured out before a year passed. I'm sure RamD would have talked me into a different TV before then. He almost has had me talked into a new sound bar a couple of times even though it would mean cutting into the cabinet above the tv.

scottyb

Thank you so much for all of your help. If it weren't for the rally in Temecula, we'd probably come bug you in Texas. I love that when we get on here there is almost always an answer.

I am glad we got this figured out before a year passed. I'm sure RamD would have talked me into a different TV before then. He almost has had me talked into a new sound bar a couple of times even though it would mean cutting into the cabinet above the tv.

I agree. Dan is always the 1st one to try to help. So what settings are you using on your TV and your Sony Surround? I can't get anything to come out.

scottyb

Scotty,

I checked the Magnavox manual (now uploaded to the forum) and page 11 shows that there are two audio outs on the TV: Digital Audio Coax and Headphone. The Y/R/W AVI connectors are inputs to the TV.

Dan, I found the same guide. It is much more detailed than the printed version that came in our packet. If you look at page 31, at the "Composite Analog Video Connection", is exactly how our RCA cables are connected to our TV and our Sony Surround.

I see you're both Texans. If you haven't got the audio straightened out by October, come to the Canton Rally or the Beaumont Rally and I'll give you a hand with it.
Thank you for the generous offer. I truly want to join you guys at a Texas rally. It seems like every single one, since we have had our Cyclone, has been scheduled on a date when we had a race scheduled. We will be in Lake Havasu City, AZ for a race and then spend a week of vacation in Utah during the weekends of both Oct rallies. We will drop off the Cyclone in Phoenix on 10/20, drive back to Spicewood for 1-1/2 weeks, then return to Phoenix for our World finals on 10/31-11/3. Pretty much kills Oct.

danemayer

Dan, I found the same guide. It is much more detailed than the printed version that came in our packet. If you look at page 31, at the "Composite Analog Video Connection", is exactly how our RCA cable are connected to our TV and our Sony Surround.
That's the illustration of DVD output to TV input, for playing DVDs. It doesn't carry audio back to the surround sound.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
OK Here is one for you Dan...

We have the Toshiba 40E22OU1 TV in our 2013 3585RL. We bought a Yamaha BRX-610 Blue Ray Disc Receiver to pair with it and have now added an HD DirectTV Receiver to the system.

Using your previous advice and a TOSLink Cable we had laying around, Mark set up the audio. We get surround from the blue ray. We get sound through only one front speaker (the one on the left as you face the TV), whether from the sat, cable or the over air antenna. We know all speakers work, we just can't figure out how to get all the speakers to work with everything instead of just the blue ray.

Its probably a setting somewhere, but we can't find it and even the online sources for the TV don't say much.

Suggestions? Thanks. BTW you are invited to any of my rallies you would like to attend. I know how much people appreciate what you do on here and we would like to buy you a beer!

Kristy

Mizmary

I agree. Dan is always the 1st one to try to help. So what settings are you using on your TV and your Sony Surround? I can't get anything to come out.

I
L ask RamD to tell. He was messing with it. I was just listening to it. 😛