Tv program audio through surround sound speakers?

danemayer

OK Here is one for you Dan...

We have the Toshiba 40E22OU1 TV in our 2013 3585RL. We bought a Yamaha BRX-610 Blue Ray Disc Receiver to pair with it and have now added an HD DirectTV Receiver to the system.

Using your previous advice and a TOSLink Cable we had laying around, Mark set up the audio. We get surround from the blue ray. We get sound through only one front speaker (the one on the left as you face the TV), whether from the sat, cable or the over air antenna. We know all speakers work, we just can't figure out how to get all the speakers to work with everything instead of just the blue ray.

Its probably a setting somewhere, but we can't find it and even the online sources for the TV don't say much.

Suggestions? Thanks. BTW you are invited to any of my rallies you would like to attend. I know how much people appreciate what you do on here and we would like to buy you a beer!

Kristy

Kristy,

Your configuration is more complicated because of the satellite and the Blue Ray. I need some add'l info. What's the surround sound make/model? What's the model of your Directv receiver? How's the Directv receiver connected to the TV? What other connections have you already made?

I've attached a diagram of our setup, which illustrates how I've tied in satellite. But I don't have Blue Ray yet, and our equipment may have different connectors. But it's a reference point that may help.

Attachments

• Rushmore Entertainment Center Wiring.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 20

scottyb

That's the illustration of DVD output to TV input, for playing DVDs. It doesn't carry audio back to the surround sound.

If you look at Pg 11 showing the Terminal configuration on the TV, my red and white cables are connected to #8 (Digital Audio Output jack). The yellow is connected to #9 (Component/Composite Video Input jacks).

danemayer

If you look at Pg 11 showing the Terminal configuration on the TV, my red and white cables are connected to #8 (Digital Audio Output jack). The yellow is connected to #9 (Component/Composite Video Input jacks).

Scotty,

#8 is a Digital Audio Coax connector. Your red/white cables are analog RCA phono and are not compatible with Digital Audio Coax, even though the cable physically fits on the connector. The difference is explained on page 6 of the RV Audio Connections Illustrated Guide.

You need a Digital Audio Coax cable connected there on the TV, and a converter to convert the digital audio to analog, and then it goes through the RCA Phono red/white cable to the surround sound.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Kristy,

Your configuration is more complicated because of the satellite and the Blue Ray. I need some add'l info. What's the surround sound make/model? What's the model of your Directv receiver? How's the Directv receiver connected to the TV? What other connections have you already made?

I've attached a diagram of our setup, which illustrates how I've tied in satellite. But I don't have Blue Ray yet, and our equipment may have different connectors. But it's a reference point that may help.

Thanks Dan.

Our Blue Ray is our Surround Sound. The Direct TV receiver is hooked to TV by HDMI and so is the BR/SS. I will have to get the model number of Sat receiver for you. We don't have anything else added. The Sat comes through the Winegard rooftop antenna we added when we ordered our coach last year. We do run two Sat receivers independently from it after doing what DTV told us to do and adding the part needed. Taking the second receiver out of the BR (not the parts, just the receiver) made no difference to what is happening in the LR.

Your diagram looks similar to what Mark has done other than the optical cable and RCA. I will show this to him and let you know how it turns out. We may need to get a different optical cable. I wonder if we need are trying to use the wrong type optical cable and don't have it connected like you do.

Its weird that sound only comes through one SS speaker other than for Blue Ray. I would think it would come through more than that even if it isn't 5.1 to start with like over the air isn't.

Kristy

scottyb

Scotty,

#8 is a Digital Audio Coax connector. Your red/white cables are analog RCA phono and are not compatible with Digital Audio Coax, even though the cable physically fits on the connector. The difference is explained on page 6 of the RV Audio Connections Illustrated Guide.

You need a Digital Audio Coax cable connected there on the TV, and a converter to convert the digital audio to analog, and then it goes through the RCA Phono red/white cable to the surround sound.

OK Dan, that makes sense except for, what is the purpose of the red and white cables? They don't carry sound from the SS to the TV, since the DVD player is integrated with the SS, and they are plugged into the "Audio Out" ports on the TV. :confused:

danemayer

I think you can watch a DVD and use the TV speakers if you want to. Could be handy if the ss amp died.

The typical AVI cable is yellow/red/white. No reason to not connect it all. If they left the red and white connectors dangling, you might think they screwed up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

We get surround from the blue ray. We get sound through only one front speaker (the one on the left as you face the TV), whether from the sat, cable or the over air antenna. We know all speakers work, we just can't figure out how to get all the speakers to work with everything instead of just the blue ray.

Kristy,

I've looked at the manuals and the Yamaha looks like a great unit. Also looks like you've got the right connections for everything to work.

I suspect the audio problem is because you have a 2 channel downmix from the TV. See page 31 on your Toshiba manual and see if changing to Dolby audio output mode helps. Also take a look at page 40 of the Yamaha manual - you may need to change that to UPMIX by selecting Dolby there as well. Or it may take some combination of these settings on the TV and surround sound.

Separate question: is your Directv receiver a DVR? If so, do you have a lip-sync problem where audio and video are way out of sync? If you do, you can probably correct that by running the Directv receiver digital audio out straight into the digital audio in on the Yamaha.

Let us know what you find.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Well, we replaced some cables and rearranged some things. It looks like the optical input on the Yahama is bad. It only picks up a signal intermittently when the cable is wiggled.

Mark abandoned the optical cable route and hooked things up with rca instead. We only get TV sound through one SS speaker. Mark has gone out to see if changing settings will change anything. I would be happy with getting sound through the left and right speaker rather than through just the left speaker.

This Sat receiver is not a DVR so no issue there.

Will report back in awhile.

Kristy

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
It looks like the Yamaha is the problem. Rather than getting another receiver, Mark bought a Sony soundbar with a wireless subwoofer. He replaced the Yamaha with a bluray player from the house and has run everything through the soundbar. I haven't been out there to listen, but he said the sound is better now than through the built in surround sound.

i thought I read in another thread that the new Landmarks will have a soundbar. Maybe HL is doing away with the ceiling mounted surround speakers?

Kristy