TV Wiring

hboy1

I have not dug into this yet, but we have a flat screen TV in the living room wired to the home theater (dvd player) system using HDMI cable and 3 AV cables (white/red/yellow). The dvd will display the movie on both HDMI & AV inputs.

There is a flat screen TV in the garage. This TV has 3 AV cables plugged into the TV from the wall jack on the ceiling above the TV.

I don't seem to be able to get this TV to display the dvd player. I've tried all the inputs on the TV but no luck.

I removed the AV plate on the ceiling above the garage TV to see if any cables were connected behind the wall plate. They are. They are tied to other cables that travel somewhere I can't see in the ceiling.

I've looked at the back of the DVD player. There is one set of AV outputs (that seem to be connected to the living room TV). There are is no other set of AV cables (possibly run to the garage TV) viewable from behind the DVD player.

Has anyone fiddled with the wiring? It looks like I may need to remove the flat screen in the living room to get behind the wall to see if the wires are all connected, or possibly need to swap out cables to get the garage TV to display the dvd input.

Any experiences or thoughts?

Thank you much!

danemayer

Hi hboy1,

I've never heard of the living room DVD player also being hooked up to watch DVDs on a TV in another room.

You could buy a 2nd DVD player for the garage - kind of like what you'd do at home if you wanted to watch DVDs in both the living room and the bedroom. You can buy a DVD player for $25 these days. BluRay for maybe $50.

avvidclif

It sounds like they have the garage outputs (R/W/Y) from the DVD tied into the main TV as well as the HDMI. The DVD will output HDMI and Video, the R/W/Y, both at the same time and they should go into the wall to go to the garage. You want the main TV to use HDMI as the video and sound quality is much better. Look behind the main TV somewhere for a set of jacks.

Or as suggested just pick up another DVD for the garage, $25 and no lost hair trying to figure out how they did it. Or why for that matter.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If you want to have different options on each TV you can go with the IOGEAR HDMI wireless transmitter. It has 5 HDMI inputs, You can plug 5 different components into it and pick any one of the 5 options from any TV. Meaning all of your components are in the living room, lets say you have the Dish receiver, the Blue-ray player, a VCR "LOL" and a Game console. You can watch Dish in the bedroom, DVD outside, and the game console going in the Living room. or all on the same thing. It also comes with the IR receivers so the remotes will work from anther location. It is kind of expensive but it works.!!!!! Here's a link to mine
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=440987&viewfull=1#post440987

You also might like the Harmony remote

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=440989&viewfull=1#post440989

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you gone through the menu in the garage TV and selected what input to use? AV?

Peace
Dave

Rhyph

Do you have a head unit mounted to the bottom of the cabinet in the garage? It looks like a car stereo, ours is made by Boss. It is the DVD player that feeds our patio and rear garage tv.

The bluray player in the entertainment center that also has the "theater" speakers connected in the living area is hooked up via HDMI only to the TV in the living area.

The under cabinet mounted DVD car stereo head unit in the garage has the garage speakers, outdoor patio speakers, and the garage and patio TVs hooked up via the R/W/Y rca connectors for video and audio sent from the head units DVD player function.

Last edited:

hboy1

Thanks everyone! I have not tried the stereo in the garage. That's probably my solution. Thanks for your help!